Re: SCP:CB - Modding Guide

mrpeanut188 wrote:Compiling (Updated for 0.9.2+)
Spoiler
Compiling is when you turn the Source-Code files into an executable file Windows can run. In this case we are creating the SCP: Containment Breach game again, but with any modifications we have made.

Part 1: Acquiring Software & Installation
Blitz3D
Download the Blitz3D trial from here, or you can do this to 'aquire' it for free. However, it is not supported, recommended, or encouraged, only a present option. After downloading, run the installer. Before you rush the installer, take note of the installation directory, as you will need to navigate to this directory when installing the FastExt's .DECL plugin.

FastExt & FastText
You require both Fast libraries, the FastExt (Fast Extention) and the FastText to compile the source code. You can download both trial editions at the Fast Libraries website.

Save both to your hard-drive, and we will open the FastExt trial .zip first. Keep digging inside until you find a 'for_Blitz3D' directory, which you should open. Open the Decl folder, and copy the FastExt.decl file into
a 'USERLIBS' folder inside the Blitz3D installation directory. E.X. 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Blitz3D\userlibs'. Navigate back to the 'for_Blitz3D' directory, and open the 'Include' folder. Find FastExt.bb, and paste it into the source code folder for SCP:Containment Breach, or wherever you are keeping the game's source code.

Do the above procedure again on the FastText archive, instead of copying FastExt copy FastText, same directories.

Part 2: Preparing the Code
Everything concerning installation for Blitz3D is now completed. All that remains is the source code itself. For the
coding to correctly run, you need to place the source code in the same folder as the Containment Breach executable
file (The program file). You can either dump the contents of 'Source Code' in your Game folder (Unless you removed it!)
into the main folder.All the .BB files should be with Containment Breach.exe. If this is done, open Main.bb with the
BlitzIDE by double-clicking, then click on Program > Debug Compile from the menu bar at the top. If the game gives
an error, jot down anything you see associated with it, then check in the Q&A section.

If the program runs smoothly with no errors, then you are ready to code. A basic coding tutorial is coming soon, so be ready.
Coding: Basic
(In writing que)

Coding: Updating your mod to latest version (Being re-written, lacking detail atm!)
Due to me not being active for a few months and a few other reasons, I've decided to give you a BETTER solution on how to update your mod to the current version of SCP: Containment Breach. The concept is this: you find the differences between the vanilla* source-code from the same version as your mod, and the newest vanilla* source-code. What you need to do is compare each file in the old source code folder to the corresponding file in the new source-code folder. A good tool for this is WinMerge. Alternatively, you can use http://www.diffchecker.com. For WinMerge directly compare the two as text files. In WinMerge, paste the contents of the old file into the left column, the newer code on the right column. The differences will be highlighted, look for the key on the webpage for more info.

*Vanilla, for those not used to term, means 'Plain'. I am basically saying that you need an unedited, original, source-code from the game download.
I want to try to make a port of Half-Life Resonance Cascade mod from v1.1.5 to v1.2.3 (because its previous author said that he would not develop it anymore and someone would be able to continue it, like MLF:CIM).

But how I can update it without losing the changes of the mod (in the source code) by using your method? Or I need to re-write it with Blitz3D only?
Administrator of Russian SCP:CB Wiki and Russian SCP Games Wiki
P. S. From Russia with big love... of SCP :wink:

Dmitriy-Bars wrote:
mrpeanut188 wrote:Compiling (Updated for 0.9.2+)
Spoiler
Compiling is when you turn the Source-Code files into an executable file Windows can run. In this case we are creating the SCP: Containment Breach game again, but with any modifications we have made.

Part 1: Acquiring Software & Installation
Blitz3D
Download the Blitz3D trial from here, or you can do this to 'aquire' it for free. However, it is not supported, recommended, or encouraged, only a present option. After downloading, run the installer. Before you rush the installer, take note of the installation directory, as you will need to navigate to this directory when installing the FastExt's .DECL plugin.

FastExt & FastText
You require both Fast libraries, the FastExt (Fast Extention) and the FastText to compile the source code. You can download both trial editions at the Fast Libraries website.

Save both to your hard-drive, and we will open the FastExt trial .zip first. Keep digging inside until you find a 'for_Blitz3D' directory, which you should open. Open the Decl folder, and copy the FastExt.decl file into
a 'USERLIBS' folder inside the Blitz3D installation directory. E.X. 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Blitz3D\userlibs'. Navigate back to the 'for_Blitz3D' directory, and open the 'Include' folder. Find FastExt.bb, and paste it into the source code folder for SCP:Containment Breach, or wherever you are keeping the game's source code.

Do the above procedure again on the FastText archive, instead of copying FastExt copy FastText, same directories.

Part 2: Preparing the Code
Everything concerning installation for Blitz3D is now completed. All that remains is the source code itself. For the
coding to correctly run, you need to place the source code in the same folder as the Containment Breach executable
file (The program file). You can either dump the contents of 'Source Code' in your Game folder (Unless you removed it!)
into the main folder.All the .BB files should be with Containment Breach.exe. If this is done, open Main.bb with the
BlitzIDE by double-clicking, then click on Program > Debug Compile from the menu bar at the top. If the game gives
an error, jot down anything you see associated with it, then check in the Q&A section.

If the program runs smoothly with no errors, then you are ready to code. A basic coding tutorial is coming soon, so be ready.
Coding: Basic
(In writing que)

Coding: Updating your mod to latest version (Being re-written, lacking detail atm!)
Due to me not being active for a few months and a few other reasons, I've decided to give you a BETTER solution on how to update your mod to the current version of SCP: Containment Breach. The concept is this: you find the differences between the vanilla* source-code from the same version as your mod, and the newest vanilla* source-code. What you need to do is compare each file in the old source code folder to the corresponding file in the new source-code folder. A good tool for this is WinMerge. Alternatively, you can use http://www.diffchecker.com. For WinMerge directly compare the two as text files. In WinMerge, paste the contents of the old file into the left column, the newer code on the right column. The differences will be highlighted, look for the key on the webpage for more info.

*Vanilla, for those not used to term, means 'Plain'. I am basically saying that you need an unedited, original, source-code from the game download.
I want to try to make a port of Half-Life Resonance Cascade mod from v1.1.5 to v1.2.3 (because its previous author said that he would not develop it anymore and someone would be able to continue it, like MLF:CIM).

But how I can update it without losing the changes of the mod (in the source code) by using your method? Or I need to re-write it with Blitz3D only?
I hope you know Mr. Peanut hasn't been here for a long time, and you necro'd this thread badly.

In any case, from what I know, all you need to do is copy the pieces of code from the mod into the latest version and modify it to the newest versions needs.

SyphenTV wrote: I hope you know Mr. Peanut hasn't been here for a long time, and you necro'd this thread badly.
Funny, just so happens today is the first time in 4-5 months I decided to hop on.

Anyways Dmitri, EXACTLY like I said.

Download the mod and the same version of SCP that it goes with.
You can find it at the moddb page http://www.moddb.com/games/scp-containment-breach

Use a text comparer to check what the changes are to each file for the mod (compare each mod code file to the original code file)
Then, do the same changes that the mod did to the newest version.

Conversely you could always just see what the difference between versions was and update it that way.