Re: [help needed] Informative Inventory

Irontaco wrote:Can something like the small square with a display of what's happening ingame (like in the top left in the image above) be done?

Was also thinking that we could just fuse the whole pause menu + inventory into one.
Eh not really liking that. It wouldn't be improving the inventory menu then, it'd be overhauling the entire GUI that isn't the HUD. That'd create hell for BoH because I was going to make it an option to enable the new inventory menu; I'd have to overhaul a lot to do that with a fused menu.

And Silent Hill was a great game for its time but let's face it; its pause menu sucks for nowadays.

No point in fixing what ain't broke; no need to change the plan if it's good.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

Here's a bit of a preview for the status effects icons, they're still WIP and some will be remade, but i'd like to at least show SOME progress.

I have never worked with resolutions as low as 64x64, i am used to work on high resolution images for any mods i tend to work on (in this case the only thing i've worked on before is Don't Starve and biggest canvas i used was 2048x2048 haha) so i was quite uncomfortable at first by not getting things to look like i wanted (because with low res i tend to zoom in a lot, draw there, then see the full image on normal size).

You tell me what you think, criticism is appreciated and i'm going to remake a bunch of these as i go probably.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Irontaco wrote:Here's a bit of a preview for the status effects icons, they're still WIP and some will be remade, but i'd like to at least show SOME progress.

I have never worked with resolutions as low as 64x64, i am used to work on high resolution images for any mods i tend to work on (in this case the only thing i've worked on before is Don't Starve and biggest canvas i used was 2048x2048 haha) so i was quite uncomfortable at first by not getting things to look like i wanted (because with low res i tend to zoom in a lot, draw there, then see the full image on normal size).

You tell me what you think, criticism is appreciated and i'm going to remake a bunch of these as i go probably.
I suppose the red ones are for when a cursor is over them or something? Very good.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

InnocentSam wrote:
Irontaco wrote:Here's a bit of a preview for the status effects icons, they're still WIP and some will be remade, but i'd like to at least show SOME progress.

I suppose the red ones are for when a cursor is over them or something? Very good.
Nah, it's more for when the condition worsens.

Also, that looks nice, peanut, but, what is it for?
sup

That Same Anon wrote:Looks like stamina. Maybe there should be different names for different levels of things.

Ex.

Light sprint loss: Tired
Moderate sprint loss: Fatigued
Heavy sprint loss: Heavily Fatigued
This would probably cause the status icons to pop out every 5 secs unless we changed the mechanics of the sprinting function in some way.

I came up with the status effects names and descriptions recently, i'm gonna start writing up the ones for the items soon enough, then keep on drawing more status effect icons (or improve what i got done), i wanted to keep them casual in some way.

008's messages should be changed in a way that it simply appears as status effect icons, rather than text on the screen.

Code: Select all

STATUS EFFECTS

BLEEDING

Light Bleeding

"It should stop soon enough."

Bleeding

"I need to find something to stop the bleeding."

Heavy Bleeding

"Blood's throbbing out at full speed from the wounds."

FAST BLINKING

Sore eyes

"Blinking faster."

Really sore eyes

"Find something to clean your eyes."

SLOW BLINKING

Clear vision

"Blinking slower"

Odd vision

"Not blinking?"

BLINDED

Blurry vision

"Can't see right."

Blind

"Can't see!"

CRIPPLED

Crippled

"Walking with a slight limp."

Heavily Crippled

"Knees weak, arms sphagetti..."

MEMETIC CONTROL

Headaches

"Something's calling out to you."

Hypnotized

"9341 used to be here, he's gone now."

Breakdown

"Did i ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

GAS

Short of breath

"Get off the gas."

Asphyxiated

"Unable to breathe."

INJURED

Small injuries

"A few cuts and bruises."

Injured

"Some wounds here and there."

Heavily injured

"Unfocused and weak."

Critically injured

"You start losing your grip on reality."

CORROSION

Slight corrosion

"You feel an itching sensation."

Corroding

"You feel a increasing burning sensation as the mucus extends"

Withering

"You feel the mucus dig through your skin and eat away the muscle"

Decaying

"You feel a sharp, excruciating pain in your insides."

ANOMALOUS

???

"You feel better than you ever did."

Myocardial infarction

"You feel a sharp pain in your chest."

Confused

"...Uh...Wha?..."

Enhanced Breathing

"You are now breathing manually. And better."

Memetic Shield

"Safe from memetic effects."

SCP008

Recently Infected

"You feel small headaches."

Infected

"You feel like you have nausea..."

Infected!

"You feel really sick."

SCP714

Sleepy

"...Man, i need to take a nap..."

SCP420J

MAN

"DUDE THATS LIKE SUM REALLY GOOD SHIT"

ZOMBIE

Zombified!

"..."

DISEASES

Asthma Exacerbation

"WHEEZE, WHEEZE, WHEEZE (8)"

Appendicitis

"You feel a excruciating pain on your stomach. Your energy fades away."

Sepsis

"Taken over by infection."

Cardiopulmonary Arrest

"Alright do not wor-HGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"

Chickenpox

"Scratch ALL the pockmarks!"

Common Cold

"Decreased Stamina regeneration."

Lung Cancer

"Null Stamina regeneration."

EDIT: Here's the item descriptions!

Code: Select all

SCP DOCUMENTS

SCP173 Document = "A paper from this foundation about the statue."

SCP106 Document = "A paper from the foundation about the old man."

SCP096 Document = "A document from this place about some sort of odd tall guy."

SCP372 Document = "A document from this foundation on... Oh, so THAT is what it was."

SCP008 Document = "A paper on some kind of odd virus."

SCP079 Document = "A paper from the foundation on some kind of old computer."

SCP012 Document = "A document from the foundation on a musical composition."

SCP049 Document = "A paper from this place about some odd man with a Plague Doctor outfit."

SCP093 Recovered Materials = "I- uh, everything's blacked out!"

SCP682 Document = "A paper from the foundation about some kind of really big mean lizard."

SCP714 Document = "A paper from the SCP Foundation about a small jade ring."

SCP860 Document = "A paper about a small blue key."

SCP860-1 Document = "A paper about a impossible forest clearing."

SCP895 Document = "A document about..Uhh...Err...I should watch out for this."

SCP914 Document = "A document from the foundation about a matter transmuting machine."

RANDOM DOCUMENTS

SCP Foundation Entry Doc = "Seems like some kind of greeting..."

Access Code Document = "A really brittle and burnt note containing an access code."

Daniel Elevator Document = "Just a memo from Daniel from Amn-...Just a memo.

SCP106 Breach Log = "A log of events of an escape of the old man."

MTF Document = "A document about the Mobile Task Force."

Warheads Document = "Warheads? Holy shit i better don't stick around for too long."

SCP Classes Document = "This gives some info on the way this Foundation's classifies odd stuff."

Radical Larry Document = "...Oh man. I actually saw the name "Radical Larry" before."

No Organic Matter 914 Doc = "Spider and Steel wire? Huh. Sounds familiar."

SCP173 Rhamber Redesign Doc = "Seems the eggheads got their job hard in here too."

Clearance Levels Document = "Some info on Staff Levels to get around the facility."

Origami = "Well, that is nice."

ITEMS

CARDS

Level 1 = "A basic level access keycard to get around basic areas of the facility."

Level 2 = "A slightly higher level keycard to get to some more protected places in here."

Level 3 = "Seems like a middle level keycard judging from the information depicted in it."

Level 4 = "A high level keycard, judging from the color sequence."

Level 5 = "By the information depicted here, this belonged to a high tier staff here."

Level Omni = "There is nothing written on it and the foundation logo is blurry."

MasterCard = "This could possibly be useful if i manage to get far away enough from the facility."

Playing Card = "Aww, shit."

TOOLS

SCP-513 = "An old bell with a barely readable engraving on it."

SCP-1025 = "Some kind of encyclopedia."

SCP-148 = "A heavy slab of some kind of metal."

SCP-500 = "A normal looking pill."

S-NAV

S-NAV 300 = "A bulky, heavy, complex GPS device which displays where you are in the facility if you've 

been there."

S-NAV 310 = "A slightly improved version of the S-NAV 300, which displays all of the facility, 

including if you've been there or not."

S-NAV Ultimate = "A very light and oddly soft S-NAV with no battery slot and the capability to 

completely see the facility, among others."

RADIO

Radio = "A bulky radio probably used by the staff to communicate with each other."

Anomalous Radio = "It's oddly heavy and does not stop scrambling and beeping!"

WEARABLES

SCP-714 = "A small jade ring which protects the user from mind control."

BALLISTIC VESTS

Ballistic Vest = "A slightly heavy Kevlar vest, keeps my guts safe."

Heavy Ballistic Vest = "A cumbersome, heavy ballistic vest of an unknown material."

Bulky Ballistic Vest = "Ohhh my back! I better drop this!"

HAZMATS

Hazmat Suit = "A suit commonly used to navigate hazardous areas."

Mysterious Hazmat Suit = "The air inside the suit feels heavy to breathe but not any harder."

Mysterious Hazmat Suit (148) = "It has a thin layer of some odd material inside."

GAS MASKS

Gas Mask = "A worn out mask used to keep nasty gasses off the lungs."

Strange Gas Mask = "Breathing through it feels strange."

CONSUMABLES

BATTERIES

9V Battery = "A small 9v battery commonly used to power bigger electronic devices."

18V Battery = "A rather big battery, used to power some really bulky devices."

Strange Battery = "I do not think i am supposed to carry this."

FIRST AID KITS

First Aid Kit = "A briefcase contain various medical supplies, among those, bandages and painkillers."

Small First Aid Kit = "It's smaller, but it contains stronger drugs and supplies."

Blue First Aid Kit = "All the meds have been changed for other, unrelated ones."

Strange Bottle = "It's as heavy as a filled backpack and has odd colours inside."

EYEDROPS

ReVision Eyedrops = "They sell these at pharmacies, keeps your eyes clean."

RedVision Eyedrops = "Yeah, real funny."

Eyedrops = "The label says "NoVision Eyedrops"...Ugh."

MARIHUANA OH FUCK

SCP-420-J = "OH MAN THIS IS LIKE THE GOOD SHIT. LIKE, THE GOOOOOOD SHIT."

Joint = "Seems like your common joint of marihuana. I think."

Smelly Joint = "Ugh! The smell just fills up the fucking room."

Cigarette = "I'll be honest, i really need one of these right now."

MOD STUFF

Towel = "Your common everyday towel."

Wet Towel = "I can use this to clean any possible wounds, or something."

Piece of Cloth = "Just a ripped off piece of cloth."

Bandage = "A roll of bandage."
sup

Here's a few new icons:

InnocentSam, err, have you thought on for example how the dual wielding thing could be done? or how some things could be made to work with how the document displaying is planned to be? (for example, the intro requires you to take out the document and read it before the guard opens the door), really interested in having those things.

I am also wondering on how to draw some of the status effect icons; especially 106 corrosion, i am not sure how to represent it, i was thinking of the figure of a hand with goo on it at first, then as the status worsens the hand slowly decays. Or things like hypnotization (scp 012) and 008 infection.
sup

Irontaco wrote:InnocentSam, err, have you thought on for example how the dual wielding thing could be done?
I'm not sure I understand the need for a dual wielding mechanic. Last I remember, CB isn't very heavy on item usage, let alone many situations where two are simultaneously needed.

It doesn't sound hard to implement (Albeit it might be a bit harder if you don't want to make the engine even messier than it already is), I'm just not sure why given how little uses it (appears to, I could be completely wrong here) has.
M-x dingus-mode