Re: SCP - New Fear

If you're going to be modifying the game to such a great extent you're probably better off re-writing half the engine.
Remember that 173 and 106 are written directly into the core engine, there are no wrappers for them.
It would also allow you to write a decent handle/wrapper for weapons without writing copious amounts of spaghetti code to integrate it with the engine.

Just my two cents...
M-x dingus-mode

MonocleBios wrote:If you're going to be modifying the game to such a great extent you're probably better off re-writing half the engine.
But, I want the core to remain the same so that I still get the 'Effect' of Containment Breach.
MonocleBios wrote: Remember that 173 and 106 are written directly into the core engine, there are no wrappers for them.
Yes, they are part of the core itself.
MonocleBios wrote: It would also allow you to write a decent handle/wrapper for weapons without writing copious amounts of spaghetti code to integrate it with the engine.
Yes. Spaghetti code? :(
Unfortunately I find Regalis' coding style hard to follow, I use a different method of spacing, and keep expecting brackets and such to be where they aren't.
I am aware part of my methods are bad programming habits too. :(
MonocleBios wrote: Just my two cents...
Yes. Thanks!

mrpeanut188 wrote: But, I want the core to remain the same so that I still get the 'Effect' of Containment Breach.
Sorry, I should've explained that.
By the sounds of it, you'll be removing a lot of content from the engine to produce this mod. IMO it would also be a good idea to re-write/provide a wrapper for 914, the main theme of your mod.
I only meant to encourage that you think about scaling your code when you write it. It make take longer to write wrappers and handlers, but I find it usually prevents a lot of headaches later.
mrpeanut188 wrote: Yes. Spaghetti code? :(
Unfortunately I find Regalis' coding style hard to follow, I use a different method of spacing, and keep expecting brackets and such to be where they aren't.
I am aware part of my methods are bad programming habits too. :(
Spaghetti code is for the most part, code that doesn't follow any organized structure and usually doesn't scale well as the program grows. (The earliest example that I found was Regalis' text parsing in the console. In his defense, he probably wasn't planning on scaling it anyway)
I wouldn't worry too much about Regalis' style, especially if you learned to program/are planning on learning to program in another language.(that isn't based off of BASIC)
From what I've seen, Regalis uses a very procedural style in his code. It might be hard to stray from this function and global oriented style, as Blitz3D(BASIC in general) doesn't leave much room for any other paradigm...
M-x dingus-mode

mrpeanut188 wrote:I'm trying to remove the blinking mechanics, but it'll need manual work, not just me searching for the word 'blink' and deleting
the entire block of code that relates.
mrpeanut188 wrote:But, I want the core to remain the same so that I still get the 'Effect' of Containment Breach.
I think part of the "Containment Breach effect" is the blinking mechanic. Maybe you could disable the HUD, but keep the blinking?

Looks very interesting. If you would, could I perhaps sign up for audio work and music choice? This certainly looks like a very interesting mod.

I'm quite interested to see how the gameplay will be affected without both of the main enemies in this game. Will the player be faring up against CI soldiers?
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:Looks very interesting. If you would, could I perhaps sign up for audio work and music choice? This certainly looks like a very interesting mod.

I'm quite interested to see how the gameplay will be affected without both of the main enemies in this game. Will the player be faring up against CI soldiers?
[REDACTED}
Last edited by mrpeanut188 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrpeanut188 wrote:
Omniary wrote:Looks very interesting. If you would, could I perhaps sign up for audio work and music choice? This certainly looks like a very interesting mod.

Basically, I'm trying to go for a hold-out type game, where the player is trying to defend against MTF and CI soldiers.
Cool, it does sound quite fun. I'd love to do some audio work where you need it.
It slep time bunner.