Re: NEEDS EPIC MATH HELP! - Modding for Dummies! (+Q&A)

Oh, sure!
However I actually think Steelpoint handles the anti-bot measures, you can send him a PM. He will read it if he has time.
I sent the PM to Regalis, asking for permission to download the source files and redistribute to those who ask for mapping purposes within Containment Breach.
Good luck on modding! I, along with others, have all been working on a multi-mod manager, but that isn't going to happen for anyone soon. Atleast, nobody who has openly committed to attempting.

An idea I've had is to merge all the mods together into a all-mods bundle, and have a Mods section in the options, where you can configure and toggle mods on and off.

mrpeanut188 wrote:I, along with others, have all been working on a multi-mod manager, but that isn't going to happen for anyone soon. Atleast, nobody who has openly committed to attempting.

An idea I've had is to merge all the mods together into a all-mods bundle, and have a Mods section in the options, where you can configure and toggle mods on and off.
Um-hmm... Interesting... Wait, wouldn't it be easier, instead of just merging mods, to have a folder in the SCP:CB directory called mods, and then just have the mod-manager act on the contents of that folder from there on?

Also, since this is getting quite off-topic and using up forum space, does this site have an IRC page?
[SCP-076] "Able"
[SCP-127] "The Living Gun"
[SCP-212] "The Improver"
[SCP-303] "The Doorman"
[SCP-1162] "A Hole in the Wall"

I'll make a thread about this, as it's quite a useful tip for workflow.

If you have a model that does not move or doesn't require being an entity, then you can convert it into a model that 3D World Studio can use in your map. Make a folder anywhere, and put a B3D file and it's textures inside it. Go to "Program Files (x86)/3D World Studio" and open "ConvertModels.exe". Navigate to the folder you made, and click Ok. Then click cancel, as it won't tell you it's done it or not. Go to your folder and you'll find an SMF file. Put that in "Models/SCP" and put the textures in "Materials/SCP"

Then you can place it in your map in 3D World Studio :)

However, you can't scale the model, so you have to get the scale of your model correct in fragMOTION/your modelling program. For example, models in SCP:CB are very small, and are scaled up via software, so if you convert one of those, it'd be tiny or invisible.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

mrpeanut188 wrote:
InnocentSam wrote: However, you can't scale the model, so you have to get the scale of your model correct in fragMOTION/your modelling program. For example, models in SCP:CB are very small, and are scaled up via software, so if you convert one of those, it'd be tiny or invisible.
Couldn't you just scale the model to the in-game scale by looking at the NPCs.ini and other files?
No, because the model is built into the map by the time it's loaded by the game; it can no longer be considered an individual entity as it is a part of the room geometry. Were it not, then yes you can scale the model freely, but then you have to manually type in the co-ordinates into the code, which takes a bit of fiddling sometimes.
Twitter
Github Profile

InnocentSam wrote:
mrpeanut188 wrote: Couldn't you just scale the model to the in-game scale by looking at the NPCs.ini and other files?
No, because the model is built into the map by the time it's loaded by the game; it can no longer be considered an individual entity as it is a part of the room geometry. Were it not, then yes you can scale the model freely, but then you have to manually type in the co-ordinates into the code, which takes a bit of fiddling sometimes.
No, I mean scale the .B3D, then import into 3Ds World Studio.

mrpeanut188 wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:
mrpeanut188 wrote: Couldn't you just scale the model to the in-game scale by looking at the NPCs.ini and other files?
No, I mean scale the .B3D, then import into 3Ds World Studio.
Oh yeah, certainly. Just resize with fragMOTION or whatever to the correct scale (I suppose you could use NPCs.ini, I like to use the hazmat suit as a baseline) then convert.
Twitter
Github Profile

Re: Needs Blitz3D help! Modding for Dummies! (+Q&A)

Hey guys! I took what all you said, and decided to make a new room. This time it's a containment chamber for an SCP, and a big one at that. I wonder if you can guess which SCP it is for..
(Two images per spoiler!)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
(Yes, that is the background menu texture on that black cube)
This is the most relevant thread to post these, I think; showing progress in 3d World Studio...
Tell me what you think. And see if you can guess what SCP this is. :3

*edit* Looking back on it, there are parts that kinda look like crap; I'm going to renovate it a bit... *edit end*

Some tips I have come across for room design:
-Try not to have the adjacent planes of two solids overlapping, as it creates an ugly effect. Even if they are the same material, when lighting is rendered, it can still cause uglyness.
-The texture glass.png works fine as long as you have transparency/caustics checked in light rendering.
-Texture lock is god. When it is enabled, you can move objects without the texture shifting. Useful for signs.
-When fitting a decal to an object's surface, the FIT option below the texture browser can be very helpful.
-The separate tool is one of the most useful tools in shaping. You draw a line across a object, and it cuts that object into two halves. Beware, if you have no object selected, it will cut through all objects on that line.
-The undo button is very unreliable, and there is no redo button.
-Hold ctrl to select multiple objects. You can also select objects in perspective mode, which I find a lot easier than in the other views.
-Go to Edit/Properties while an entity is selected to adjust the values of that entity. Useful for lighting.
[SCP-076] "Able"
[SCP-127] "The Living Gun"
[SCP-212] "The Improver"
[SCP-303] "The Doorman"
[SCP-1162] "A Hole in the Wall"

Re: Needs Blitz3D help! Modding for Dummies! (+Q&A)

When I was doing some concept designs of a room for SCP-017, at one point it looked like SCP-106s room. I pressed undo, and it deleted the last 15 brushes I carefully placed.
Save before undoing, people!

A tip I can also give is that to save processing power, you can select sub-objects and delete sides you cannot see. Just don't go ape with this in one go; I had a nasty bug that stopped 017 development.
Twitter
Github Profile