To Regalis...

Regalis,

We are Vostok Technologies, a small company consisting of only two teenagers eager to build applications for many platforms. We saw potential in SCP:- Containment Breach, and we would like to try and convert it into an iPhone application using the Unity 3D engine. However, we also saw your copyright notices and licenses, and would like to get in contact regarding a potential mobile port for this game (Creative Commons License Vers. 3.0).

Do note:- we do not intend to steal the idea for SCP. We would simply like to port it to a mobile application and would like your permission to redistribute. It would be wonderful if you could get in touch.

Also, sorry if we are posting this in public -- we couldn't find a contact us section anywhere in your forum. Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Vivek Peri, CEO/Chairman of Vostok Technologies

Re: To Regalis...

vostoktechnologies wrote:Regalis,

We are Vostok Technologies, a small company consisting of only two teenagers eager to build applications for many platforms. We saw potential in SCP:- Containment Breach, and we would like to try and convert it into an iPhone application using the Unity 3D engine. However, we also saw your copyright notices and licenses, and would like to get in contact regarding a potential mobile port for this game (Creative Commons License Vers. 3.0).

Do note:- we do not intend to steal the idea for SCP. We would simply like to port it to a mobile application and would like your permission to redistribute. It would be wonderful if you could get in touch.

Also, sorry if we are posting this in public -- we couldn't find a contact us section anywhere in your forum. Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Vivek Peri, CEO/Chairman of Vostok Technologies
If it was just up to me, you'd be free to convert and distribute SCPCB pretty much any way you like. It's just that all the entries in the SCP wiki (the site that SCPCB is based on, in case you didn't know) are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License, which requires that you have to use the same license if you want to use their material.

Are you planning on selling the game? Even though the license allows that, the wiki authors don't seem to like anyone making profit out of their work and will probably not approve of it. If you're going to share the game for free, you probably won't have any legal problems as long as you use the same license and properly attribute all the authors whose material you're using.

Anyway, hope you get the project up and running! :)

vostoktechnologies wrote:Makes sense; thanks a lot! The original plan was to distribute this on the Google Play Store and iTunes Store for free. Now that we have your assurance, we're going to start the full-blown port!
YES YES YES YES YES YES. I would want more than anything to carry this game around in my tablet or phone.
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Destructoid wrote:
vostoktechnologies wrote:Makes sense; thanks a lot! The original plan was to distribute this on the Google Play Store and iTunes Store for free. Now that we have your assurance, we're going to start the full-blown port!
YES YES YES YES YES YES. I would want more than anything to carry this game around in my tablet or phone.
Walking and looking around will be a pain in the ass though.

SFK363 wrote:Eh, mobile phone games aren't the best things. So controls might be a bit difficult. But ohwell, I'm looking forward to this 8)
That will just make it all the more awesome if the controls are hard
What fun is there in making sense?
Now, if you will excuse me i have some chaos to wreak.
Resident forum robot monkey, and chaos incarnate.

I have trouble understanding people's disaproval about the commercial use of this license. It's easy to create a proper SCP, it is much harder to make a full game about it. Moreover, game development is a huge personal investment at the creator's own risks. For some of us, making games is a full time job.

I may be off topic, but I think people should keep this in mind :/

Deshtat wrote:I have trouble understanding people's disaproval about the commercial use of this license. It's easy to create a proper SCP, it is much harder to make a full game about it. Moreover, game development is a huge personal investment at the creator's own risks. For some of us, making games is a full time job.

I may be off topic, but I think people should keep this in mind :/
The problem with selling it for money when it's done, is that Regalis didn't make the SCPs himself.
Sure, if he did make them himself he could charge money for it.
What fun is there in making sense?
Now, if you will excuse me i have some chaos to wreak.
Resident forum robot monkey, and chaos incarnate.