Re: Offical Stance on Firearms ingame.

Chakker wrote:I was unaware that there were any scientists or guards you can confront after you are given control to roam the facility. I thought there were only the few guards in the intro before you would have the chance to have any weapon and then the Nine-Tailed Fox unit. Unless you mean what may be included in later releases. I am speaking only for what the game contains at this time and I didn't mean have guns scattered about. Just one with only a few bullets left on a fallen guard somewhere just to give the player a brief moment of thinking they found an answer to their solution only to find it's no good.
1. They would still feel better with the gun.

2. Not worth the time needed to implement

3. As Steelpoint has said, the DNA/Fingerprint/Biometric locked gun excuse is a good excuse.

Steelpoint wrote:Still how will you explain all the MTF's/Guards and Scientists being immune to gun fire? I still think the DNA encoding is the best course and more logical considering the technological level of the foundation.
The message could be something like this:
"These things are ID-tagged. Only Foundation Personnel can use guns in this facility. Also WE SAID NO GUNS IN SCP-CB!"
DON'T SHOOT! LET THEM BURN!

Chakker wrote:I understand why the plan is no usable firearms in the game. It would be a big detractor for the fear. Guns are often an item in games that end up making you feel aggressive and empowered. Sure there are plenty of games that are both scary and let you use guns, but that is a different style of fear mechanic.

However, everyone who is saying there should be some explanation to why you can't take one of their guns are correct. That for many people is something that really leave you questioning the logic because of course a prisoner in this situation would grab a gun the first chance they got.

Personally, I think rather than having some added (and potentially forced) explanation of why you can't grab a gun that there is another compromise that could be made.
Let the player grab a gun, only to find out it is completely ineffective against anything you face. The bullets would bounce off, pass through, or simply fail to do any serious damage to most of the SCPs; the soldiers are a highly trained MTF wearing body armor; and any gun you find off a dead soldier would almost certainly be a partially used clip with no extra ammo. So let the player grab a gun with no ammo UI or crosshair or anything. Then when they use it they will find out it only has 6 bullets left and isn't enough to kill anything they come up against. That short moment of bravado will sink into a whole new kind of desperate fear.

"EAT THIS YOU... oh... oh no..."
As I've mentioned before, this is a terrible idea. Why would Regalis code new items and new animations for something that will have no use? That whole "false bravado" thing will only trick players the first time. It's clunky and time consuming. It's pointless. No offense, I'm not trying to knock on you or anything, but I don't understand why people are so desperate for this to be handled in the most haphazard way possible?

ID-tagging. Done. Firearms topic closed.

SCP 513 wrote:I vote for no guns in CB. Who's with me?
I with you, why have a gun when its useless against most of the games SCP's anyways?.

I always figured the guns were out of ammo, thats just how i thought of it anyways, like the suicide guard had just somehow escaped from a gunfight with SCP-682 and his gun had only one bullet left.
ERIC IS LOVE, ERIC IS LIFE.

I am thinking this thread keeps going around in circles, someone suggests some kind of gun related feature or compromise, people point out it is still adding in a gun and reject the idea and/or an argument starts up, then back to square one.
SCP:CB Administrator. 99% of my statements are my own and do not represent the official developers viewpoint.

InnocentSam wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:I am thinking this thread keeps going around in circles, someone suggests some kind of gun related feature or compromise, people point out it is still adding in a gun and reject the idea and/or an argument starts up, then back to square one.
As is every debate in history.
And in the history to come too.
What fun is there in making sense?
Now, if you will excuse me i have some chaos to wreak.
Resident forum robot monkey, and chaos incarnate.

Anyone else think this thread should be locked? Regalis has already stated the player will never get a gun, and this thread is essentially two sides repeating the same two ideas; That the player should get a broken gun or some other way to give the player an inventory item that does nothing, while the other side says that there should be a few lines of dialogue, or a note somewhere to justify being unable to pick up the gun, with a number of possible plausible explanations.

There's been no major variations from these two ideas, so I'm pretty confidant in saying this thread serves no more purpose.
Mr Sensible Ideas

I agree, this thread isn't going far and It's too much thought being put in the game for a minor detail.
Just mention somewhere that guns are neural interfaced and can't be used, that should really be it.
I'm not here as much right now, mention me on our Discord server if you need anything.