Re: SCP-173 DISCUSSION

[quote="legendaryweredragon"]Agreed[/quote

I SECOND THAT.

Random movement: I feel that this would really benefit the game in the sense of having no control over the situation and making the facility seem more "alive". Giving SCP 173 random paths to follow would be good such as to allow things like hearing him actually move down an adjacent hallway or have him open nearby doors(not important doors such as 914 or heavy blast doors). having the entity lose interest or go away from the players position if locked out of a room (example:914's chamber), Allowing random actions or moving to random locations until the entity detects the player. I.E. SCP 173 is on the opposite end of the light containment zone so the entity activates a random path that runs near the player's position. The entity moves regardless of the players line of sight until SCP 173 goes into it's "hostile" state. If the entity is trapped by a lockroom it has a chance to either go in the lock room or move to the adjacent room and continue it's path. Tell me what you think.

Note: As of right now the current SCP 173 A.I. is creepy enough with it being spawned in random locations on the grid-map. But it would be nice if these changes were implemented. It would increase both immersion and fear factor.
===============================
History is written by the victor~Winston Churchill

Just a random suggestion here, based on the scp containment breach information, and the information on the foundation website, I'd assume the main character would have a little knowledge of 173, and some training to work with it. My idea here is that when 173 is right behind a door and jump-scares you, if you're at low for the blink meter, like 1-5 bars, would it be possible to add a slow-motion reaction ability so you can close the door really quickly so he doesn't get you? I think it would be a pretty neat mechanic, and would make the game more intense for those few seconds. Just a thought.

KingNothing wrote:Just a random suggestion here, based on the scp containment breach information, and the information on the foundation website, I'd assume the main character would have a little knowledge of 173, and some training to work with it. My idea here is that when 173 is right behind a door and jump-scares you, if you're at low for the blink meter, like 1-5 bars, would it be possible to add a slow-motion reaction ability so you can close the door really quickly so he doesn't get you? I think it would be a pretty neat mechanic, and would make the game more intense for those few seconds. Just a thought.
I think that mechanic would more confuse some players rather than help them. Aside from that, good idea.
𝙱𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚣𝟹𝙳 𝙴𝚛𝚛𝚘𝚛(!): 𝙿𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚝𝚝𝚘𝚗 𝚛𝚊𝚙𝚒𝚍𝚕𝚢 𝚒𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚟𝚊𝚝𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛.

KingNothing wrote:Just a random suggestion here, based on the scp containment breach information, and the information on the foundation website, I'd assume the main character would have a little knowledge of 173, and some training to work with it. My idea here is that when 173 is right behind a door and jump-scares you, if you're at low for the blink meter, like 1-5 bars, would it be possible to add a slow-motion reaction ability so you can close the door really quickly so he doesn't get you? I think it would be a pretty neat mechanic, and would make the game more intense for those few seconds. Just a thought.
I like it, but we already have a basic "tutorial" of a sort when the SCP escapes. The sequence basically shows what it does.

I can't really understand 173's moving pattern, as if whether his appearance equals death or if it will just move closer when there's a wall between it and player. When it's standing behind the corner and I blink, on one occasion it just moved into my field of view, but on another it snapped my neck right away. So I'd really appreciate if someone bothered to explain moving patterns or give a link where it's explained : D

It varies. The way 173 is designed to work is that it only begins pursuit once you are in the same room as it or there are no walls between you and it. (It is in direct line of sight from you to 173.) It then will start chasing you until either it kills you or if you outrun it (Are far enough away). After that it goes into it's "idle" state. It has two states. Active and Idle. Active is where 173 chases the player. Idle is where in order to put 173 in it's "Active" state you must be in direct line of sight with it. (It doesn't matter whether or not you actually see it, it will still activate if there are no walls between you and it or if you are in the same room.) Now about the jumpscares and sudden death. It depends on how close you are to it. If you are close enough it will jumpscare you by moving in front of your face but not kill you. If you are closer it will kill you instead. I haven't been able to tell the exact distance you need to be from it in order for it to not kill you. Generally, if 173 is just barely inside the light radius around your player it won't kill you.
History is written by the victor~Winston Churchill

Wow, that looks like quite an AI to write. As for the jumpscares, I was pleasantly surprised with how this part was actually avoided. There are no screams and no ugly mugs reaching for you in fullscreen, there's just a monster that you can beat with wit, and if you expect it, you'll be no more scared than as if just entering a room as usual.