The mystery of the EMP

A while ago, while playing Barotrauma (SmoothTrauma to be specific) I met a rebel who somehow PERMANENTLY EMP'd the sub.
I don't know how he did it. But the reactor kept shutting down, and, after stopping that, even at full power there didn't seem to be a single Volt running in the wires. None of the electrics worked in the slightest.

Now, after asking the rebel how he did this, he simply replied "Four sabotages." then something about making a circuit. What did he mean? No clue.
Either way, I just want someone to explain this to me, as well as how to fix the damned sub afterwards, because goddamnit it's a game ender.

UPDATE WITH MORE INFO:
I'm almost 100% certain it's a bug. I recently re-encountered it, and something weird was up with the grid power, it constantly jumped between values. I'll try to get more info and hope to be able to have enough information on how to make it happen so I can file a bug report.
Last edited by Arkay on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The mystery of the EMP

Could it be that he somehow rewired the reactor so that the shutdown connection is constantly receiving a signal? Or if the shutdown connection is wired to a wifi component in the sub, perhaps he set up another wifi component that keeps sending a shutdown signal to the reactor? There could've also been some additional rewiring done to the power grid that prevented the sub from getting power after you got the reactor back up. Did you happen to investigate any of the wiring to the reactor or the grid at any point?

There is an actual EMP mechanic in the game as well: explosions can have an EMP value that causes the explosion to break electronic devices, but I doubt that's the case here. If I'm not mistaken, none of the vanilla items can cause an EMP, and it probably would've been more noticeable as the devices actually become physically broken and need to be repaired.

Regalis wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 pm
Could it be that he somehow rewired the reactor so that the shutdown connection is constantly receiving a signal? Or if the shutdown connection is wired to a wifi component in the sub, perhaps he set up another wifi component that keeps sending a shutdown signal to the reactor? There could've also been some additional rewiring done to the power grid that prevented the sub from getting power after you got the reactor back up. Did you happen to investigate any of the wiring to the reactor or the grid at any point?

There is an actual EMP mechanic in the game as well: explosions can have an EMP value that causes the explosion to break electronic devices, but I doubt that's the case here. If I'm not mistaken, none of the vanilla items can cause an EMP, and it probably would've been more noticeable as the devices actually become physically broken and need to be repaired.
Well, the reactor shutdown was the first thing I checked. It did keep on resetting, but after I changed the channel for the shutdown on the wifi component (this was a modified Aegir III), that stopped instantly.. Also, none of the devices I saw were destroyed. It was most likely some kind of exploit that broke the electricity mechanics in the game. I also highly doubt he could have done anything with the reactor itself, as SmoothTrauma has anti-griefing systems that include not being able to mess with the wiring on reactors.

Arkay wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 pm
Well, the reactor shutdown was the first thing I checked. It did keep on resetting, but after I changed the channel for the shutdown on the wifi component (this was a modified Aegir III), that stopped instantly.. Also, none of the devices I saw were destroyed. It was most likely some kind of exploit that broke the electricity mechanics in the game. I also highly doubt he could have done anything with the reactor itself, as SmoothTrauma has anti-griefing systems that include not being able to mess with the wiring on reactors.
Nah, someone definitely griefed that. I've done something similar in a sub building, non-griefing manner. He literally just changed wires, that's all a griefer would need to do. For one they sent a constant 1 signal through a wifi component to the shutdown, keeping it locked at 0 shutdown. Then they presumably rewired some other stuff.
_GOD exists and he will torch you

Check out my BTE Stealth Warship - The Viper: https://undertowgames.com/forum/viewtop ... 94#p124294

randymagic241 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 pm
He literally just changed wires, that's all a griefer would need to do. For one they sent a constant 1 signal through a wifi component to the shutdown, keeping it locked at 0 shutdown.
Thing is, after that there wasn't a shutdown. I could perfectly set it to 6000 without any issues.

Arkay wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:57 pm
randymagic241 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 pm
He literally just changed wires, that's all a griefer would need to do. For one they sent a constant 1 signal through a wifi component to the shutdown, keeping it locked at 0 shutdown.
Thing is, after that there wasn't a shutdown. I could perfectly set it to 6000 without any issues.
Yeah... because you changed the channels. Therefore whatever signal he was sending from the other wifi component wasn't being received anymore. Wifi components work by two seperate wifi components sending signals from one to the other., he was griefing using one probably located around Command.
_GOD exists and he will torch you

Check out my BTE Stealth Warship - The Viper: https://undertowgames.com/forum/viewtop ... 94#p124294