Re: Custom ships

Frostdemon727 wrote: <---- Pics
-snip-
First of all, love the naming scheme. 10/10. Second, I'm a bitch and I'm trying to come up with as many problems as I can when I look at these, tis' called being the Devil's Advocate.

The Blizzard:
16 players? It certainly is a big sub, but maybe not *that* big.

This one is quite a popular one and I personally really like it. Although I dislike the way the ladders are set up so that you have to keep changing, at the same time I love the realism in that, and so I consider that a plus. One of the few downsides is the general layout of the submarine is a little iffy, once you look at the big picture. The position of rooms and things like guns could definitely have used a little more pre-thought or trial and error, it's one of those subs where no matter how much you play it you'll never fully understand where exactly everything is because of that. It also has alot of empty space - Although this makes the sub seem more appropriate for a number of players like 16, there's still a lack of actual things all 16 people should do. It seems like you made space for the sake of space, not to serve any particular function. It also seems to be missing a southern docking port for use with the default shuttles, but that's fine so long as people know to use your custom shuttle instead of the default ones. (Such as if it says so in the description)

Aesthetics are...Well the wiring is nice, everything is positioned nicely and semi-symmetrically, I'd give it about a 7/10. The shape of the submarine and the tiny problems like how much the bridge sticks out, the engine, etc really bring it down. But that's perfectly excusable and fine in my book. Good job!

Icepickle
Again, much like the Blizzard it seems as though the layout of this sub is very haphazard and you just continually added things until it worked, not removed things or kept spare space for the sake of a categorical layout. An example, medical down in the gun area, the mid-top gun controls being far away because you replaced it with the airlock, etc.

Aesthetics are passable, maybe a 5/10. The shape of the submarine isn't bad in anyway, but I can't say it's any good either. Wiring's absolutely fine. The backgrounds are quite bland, but that can be seen as a positive depending on what ambience you like to play with. Command is not segregated, which can be a problem when griefers or traitors come to play.

Although I can't say that this sub is bad in anyway, on the contrary it's quite good, it's just too generic and I don't personally like this one as much as the Blizzard.

Cold splitter
Docking system looks pretty primitive, odd window/wall placement, it's literally a box, and wiring is slightly unappealing. You could make this in 5 minutes. It has no redeeming features to be chosen over the default 2 shuttles, maybe decorate it a little and improve docking. You've got excess space to add a few more fancy things, too.

The Icepeak Model 1
Eh. Single, central ladders can be annoying especially with the people who lag and get thrown off and killed. The layout is, again, haphazard, the aesthetics are meh, shape is weird, those junctions give me nightmares and what even is command. Eh.

I'd still prefer to play it over the Aegir and it does have plenty of firepower, but it's still no Blizzard by any regard.

Overall, I think the biggest problem with all of the subs is layout. I think they all need a little more time and patience put into them. They're still nice submarines, and as I said the naming scheme is top notch. I hope you make more, I sincerely do.

Esoudiere wrote:
-snip-
First of all, love the naming scheme. 10/10. Second, I'm a bitch and I'm trying to come up with as many problems as I can when I look at these, tis' called being the Devil's Advocate.

The Blizzard:
16 players? It certainly is a big sub, but maybe not *that* big.

This one is quite a popular one and I personally really like it. Although I dislike the way the ladders are set up so that you have to keep changing, at the same time I love the realism in that, and so I consider that a plus. One of the few downsides is the general layout of the submarine is a little iffy, once you look at the big picture. The position of rooms and things like guns could definitely have used a little more pre-thought or trial and error, it's one of those subs where no matter how much you play it you'll never fully understand where exactly everything is because of that. It also has alot of empty space - Although this makes the sub seem more appropriate for a number of players like 16, there's still a lack of actual things all 16 people should do. It seems like you made space for the sake of space, not to serve any particular function. It also seems to be missing a southern docking port for use with the default shuttles, but that's fine so long as people know to use your custom shuttle instead of the default ones. (Such as if it says so in the description)

Aesthetics are...Well the wiring is nice, everything is positioned nicely and semi-symmetrically, I'd give it about a 7/10. The shape of the submarine and the tiny problems like how much the bridge sticks out, the engine, etc really bring it down. But that's perfectly excusable and fine in my book. Good job!

Icepickle
Again, much like the Blizzard it seems as though the layout of this sub is very haphazard and you just continually added things until it worked, not removed things or kept spare space for the sake of a categorical layout. An example, medical down in the gun area, the mid-top gun controls being far away because you replaced it with the airlock, etc.

Aesthetics are passable, maybe a 5/10. The shape of the submarine isn't bad in anyway, but I can't say it's any good either. Wiring's absolutely fine. The backgrounds are quite bland, but that can be seen as a positive depending on what ambience you like to play with. Command is not segregated, which can be a problem when griefers or traitors come to play.

Although I can't say that this sub is bad in anyway, on the contrary it's quite good, it's just too generic and I don't personally like this one as much as the Blizzard.

Cold splitter
Docking system looks pretty primitive, odd window/wall placement, it's literally a box, and wiring is slightly unappealing. You could make this in 5 minutes. It has no redeeming features to be chosen over the default 2 shuttles, maybe decorate it a little and improve docking. You've got excess space to add a few more fancy things, too.

The Icepeak Model 1
Eh. Single, central ladders can be annoying especially with the people who lag and get thrown off and killed. The layout is, again, haphazard, the aesthetics are meh, shape is weird, those junctions give me nightmares and what even is command. Eh.

I'd still prefer to play it over the Aegir and it does have plenty of firepower, but it's still no Blizzard by any regard.

Overall, I think the biggest problem with all of the subs is layout. I think they all need a little more time and patience put into them. They're still nice submarines, and as I said the naming scheme is top notch. I hope you make more, I sincerely do.
You said "Bitch"... Esou you're female...? :o

Esoudiere wrote:
-snip-
-snip-.
So first off, thanks for giving an "detailed" review on the problems of my subs, really now, thanks man.

So, second off, about my ways of using ladders:
You are right, its very endearing to have to switch ladders the whole time, yet, sadly, I consider myself half-forced to do that, since if I WERE to make it just one long-ass ladder from top to bottom, it would render the subs unplayable for singleplayer.
Due to the AI (which, seems to be only made up for ladders that go two doorways up, since the waypoints are only placed at the BOTTOM and the TOP but NOT anywhere in the MIDDLE of them, forcing me to make multiple ladders, yay.

Could say its N-1=X (with N being the number of passable floors and X being the ladder count).

Now to layout: You are right (partly), especially with the Icepeak (not partly) (Heh, "Hall of junctions" "Junctions: Call for Unwiring" "Call of Screwdrivers: Infinite Unwiring").
My biggest mistake is infact, that I simply started drawing my sub on a piece of paper, with everything placed there, safe for the junctions.
This was due to me failing to make this one important step at planning my subs: Considering in the amount of junctions I needed.

Especially this happened at the Icepeak, I didnt have enough space for the junctions, so the Junction hall was made, yet, as of now, I will consider them in by doing some basic math (because math solves everything): X:3+1=Y (With X being the needed slots of all the machinery I want to add in, as an proposal, and Y being the junctions)

As an side note: Everything safe for the shuttle and the Icepickle was drawn on paper, yet with mistakes. (See above)

Now to the Icepickle: I need to admit, it was more of an "test" rather than something I wanted to use regurlarly (and made good). Infact, I was planning at discarding it, due to an bug that occured in the past (See my previous post, where I published an broken submarine, nice, isnt it? Should be around page 7-10, cant remember).
It started as an four room sub, and then became what is was, later on. Hell it even started with 5 rods inside and with Incendum Grenades in a cabinet.

(As an side note: The old version of the Icepickle SHOULD still be available, on just follow the link that is NOT The Frozen Fleet.)

And to the Cold Splitter (Whose name may be subject to change, since it seems a bit weird to me): Again, like the Icepickle, it was more of an test, rather than an actual shuttle thats special (That might become subject to my "Model lines", like "Snowflake Model 1", I dunno).

To the Icepeak: I tried at getting a bit away from the "Block of Iron" shape the Blizzard Model 1 had, and wanted everything to be linked to the "main chamber", the big large part with the ladders. And dont worry, I WILL add something to the command (which might just merely be some button commands, like "close airlock" or "dock/undock".

To the Blizzard: The 16-player choice was because of how its FIRST version looked like (inshort it was an long sausage with triple guns at its sides and fucking 1m³ cells as "crew rooms". I scrapped it and started a size smaller (mostly due to the ballast being fairly small, like two cargo rooms of the actual Blizzard Model 1, which IS small. And its galactical load).

And to the name choice:(First off, I love the greek,egyptian, and what not names you took for your subs). I wanted to get away from the (at the moment) overused term "Mark/Mk" and rather wanted to go with something...I wanted. So I used Model (Since yea, the sub model) OR Ausf. (That one is from german military) yet I like Model more, so I made it model, cool story, right? Right?

So yea, again, thanks for your review, here is an even larger answer, lol. EDIT: Nevermind, they are equally large.
Hi,

I'm Frost.

Red Alert! Red Alert!

Emergency Protocol Initiated, CC Fleet Project "Battlegroup" initiate. Scramble all teams, scramble!

Receiving Incoming Transmission . . .
Input Access Code:
CC*****421**8*

Matching Code . . .
Clearance Accepted! Welcome, Captain (your name here) . . . This automated Log from CC Command will now begin playing . . .

CC Fleet Command Log:

Greetings, Captain. For the past few months, we have been preparing for a way to prevent the disaster that took place while we were constructing the Armada from ever happening again... An unknown signal has been spotted within a few kilometers from our base. Your task is to take a Battlegroup of your choice and head over to where the signal is. Failure is not an option, we cannot afford to lose again. If you fail this mission, whatever's emitting that signal may come for us and our fleet, and if our greatest fears are to be brought to light... God help us, may he prove us wrong.

Accessing Fleet Database . . .

Fleet Database accessed! Please pick the Battlegroup of your choice:

Hello everyone, I have finally finished my sub. You will notice i have studied a few designs and incorporated some strengths I have seen as well as added a few of my own. I kept it all pretty vanilla as I wanted it to be high quality yet also noob friendly, but it also has features. Such as a single action airlock, which can become messy if someone screws around with it but can become un-jammed easy enough. And most importantly a suit rack so the suits stay still even in the event of a moloch beating!!

All power is ran through batteries so reactor runs at a steady pace so risk of fire is minimal. Power is also divided into 3 different power grids. In retrospect I would have put the lighting on its own power grid set up with relays instead of power grids to save space.

Edit:I changed the layout of the external area to make the external cargo less vulnerable. Also added "hull" so the cargo counts as being on board ship. Also the lifepod starts with 25% charge so its not so useless.

This is my rescue shuttle. I noticed when a recuse shuttle spawns it removes everything on floor and adds its own suits, sometimes the suits are invisible till shuttle gets nudged a little. I also wonder if you could have the proximity sensor loop back into the docking port to make docking happen automatically when in range? Im to lazy atm after finishing all this.

Last edited by Hoss on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Hoss wrote:Hello everyone, I have finally finished my sub. -snip-
May I be the first to say; Kudos. Really nice sub. In all honesty, the only sub aside from the CC series that I've actually downloaded from the forums. The layout is simple and easy to navigate through and the aesthetic detail on the external parts make it look quite nice. All the smaller details like the reactor room not being on the edge of the sub, adding markers to the railguns to distinguish their position, medical bay at the back and a first aid at the front, not pre-charged escape shuttle, etc really put the icing on the cake.

So great sub, 9/10. I'll name the smaller problems I see, just things that could be improved on in my opinion, but as per usual it's simply nit picking for the slighest thing.
-Top Dock lamp would intersect any docking subs. Or if it's just an airlock, that would be a good opportunity to add somewhere for bottom-dock respawn shuttles to attach. No harm in compatibility.
-You *might* be able to put the bottom airlock out a bit more and add a ladder going upwards so it's more like a 'loop' than just a 'U' path. If someone comes into the airlock and wants to go to the brig, for example, that's a long run they're in for.
-Single engine, relatively large sub. In addition, engines can consume alot of power and 2 batteries (1kw) probably won't provide enough for one of them at full speed, unless it's attached to the main reactor in which case engines are the main case of power fluctuation, so...
-Wiring is nice in most places. I like that you seperated the wires, in places like the engines and ballasts it looks really quite cool. In the main hallways and thus the junction sections, however, it looks somewhat less cool and more cluttered and unorganised, one of the biggest aesthetic problems I see.
-This is just my OCD, but alot of the longer-length wires are not straight. I only notice it because I'm looking at a full picture, but still..
-Wires going through walls, not around.
-Junctions in the ballast. Plain and simple, if they break, then what's powering the pumps to allow them to be fixed?
-Railgun loaders are floating..Maybe add horizontalbacks to atleast make it look like they're supported :x
-No bottom docking port? That's going to be a big problem for hosts if they don't know the sub or don't get a chance to change the respawn shuttle because voting was enabled (I speak from experience)
-Supercapacitors work kinda weird when used in conjunction with main power grids. They like to discharge everything they have, regardless of other batteries on the same grid, and thus never really charge unless that grid is pretty much completely inactive. This can also cause fires on occassion.
-Not much use of varying backrounds. Makes it look a little bland, but again, this could be considered a good thing.
-Purely personal opinion here, but no windows?! At all?! Geez, that poor crew.
-Placement of command, although safe, is not that realistic. Atleast add a backround with a window or something, eh? Again, just personal opinion.

Thank you Esoudiere for the feed back. I think I'll address what I can in the interim, however major overhauls may have to wait for the MK 4. When I built most the ship it was pre shuttle so I didn't accommodate for the docking port areas. I was defiantly gonna make the top hatch docking comparable I just forgot XD. The engine is powered by all 6 (I think 6) batteries in that "sub grid". Seeing as it flys alright with the one engine I think I'll leave it as is and not worry about power spikes ;p .

A few things you could clarify for me
-Supercapacitors work kinda weird when used in conjunction with main power grids. They like to discharge everything they have, regardless of other batteries on the same grid, and thus never really charge unless that grid is pretty much completely inactive. This can also cause fires on occassion.
I have my super capacitors charging of the batteries, does this mean i wont have this issue?

And I spent SO LONG STRAIGHTEN WIRES!! WHERE ARE THE CROOKED WIRESSS AHHHH
if they are in the airlock i dont care lol XD

Thank You again

Edit i replaced the file in previous post to take care of some minor fixes, like removing the junction box in ballast.

Hoss wrote:Thank you Esoudiere for the feed back. I think I'll address what I can in the interim, however major overhauls may have to wait for the MK 4. When I built most the ship it was pre shuttle so I didn't accommodate for the docking port areas. I was defiantly gonna make the top hatch docking comparable I just forgot XD. The engine is powered by all 6 (I think 6) batteries in that "sub grid". Seeing as it flys alright with the one engine I think I'll leave it as is and not worry about power spikes ;p .

I have my super capacitors charging of the batteries, does this mean i wont have this issue?

Thank You again

Edit i replaced the file in previous post to take care of some minor fixes, like removing the junction box in ballast.
His sub does look good, I haven't tried it on MP yet. Not too OP. Decently made, I say it's a good MP sub. Huehuehue.

Caryl wrote:
Hoss wrote:Thank you Esoudiere for the feed back. I think I'll address what I can in the interim, however major overhauls may have to wait for the MK 4. When I built most the ship it was pre shuttle so I didn't accommodate for the docking port areas. I was defiantly gonna make the top hatch docking comparable I just forgot XD. The engine is powered by all 6 (I think 6) batteries in that "sub grid". Seeing as it flys alright with the one engine I think I'll leave it as is and not worry about power spikes ;p .

Thank You again

His sub does look good, I haven't tried it on MP yet. Not too OP. Decently made, I say it's a good MP sub. Huehuehue.
"Not too OP."
Heh...
There's no such thing as OP when you have C4!
Rule 1) You are expendable.
Rule 2) Asking about Rule 1 will enforce it automatically.