Tutorial: Ruins

Since they've been there for quite some time now, I decided to do a little tutorial about the ruins found in Barotrauma.

First things first: How to locate a ruin

Ruins can be found on every map, regardless of the mission, yet in salvaging missions, the location of the ruin is designated on the map.
Yet one can easily see a ruin on his sonar, as the walls of a ruin are colored in a lighter shape of green than normal walls.
This way one can easily identify a ruin, and can gain a brief overview about its shape.

Your equipment:

When wanting to salvaging a ruin,m you gotta need:
- A diving suit. (obviously filled with an oxygen tank)
- An Underwater scooter
- A handheld sonar
- Spare Oxygen tanks (I mostly take two)
- spare batteries (Also two)
- And a Plasma Cutter

"Now why the plasma cutter? Why do we have to take the griefer tool #1 with us?" you may be asking yourself. Well simple, because you gotta grief the ruins themselves.
Infact, if you dont have a plasma Cutter with you, you may end up trapped inside the ruin (We go back to that later).

Bailing out:

After you got your stuff, said your last prayers and have secretely prepared yourself for your imminent death, you finally can bail out of the sub.
Now take out your handheld sonar and locate the ruins, this may take a maximun of 5 seconds. Afterwards turn it off and Underwater scooter yourself to the ruin.
Either look for an entrance, or make yourself one, and enter the ruin with the creepy music.
Once inside, you may or may not want to swim to the bottom of the ruin, incase there are any goodies you wanna take home (A list of these "goodies" can be found later in the text).

OR there is a monster in your room, in which case you should either head out of the ruin and take another entrance, or go to another room.
If this isnt the case, take out your sonar, and move into the direction of the artifact. Yet well, while traversing the ruin, you may notice that there are closed doors, or
that the door you just passed by did close right now. Your only way of dealing with these doors is cutting them open, if you want to get through again.

So, once your distance to the artifact is only a few meters, you should start cutting. Try getting over or under the spot the sonar says where your artifact is and cut.
After some moments, you should be able to get it from the inside of a wall, GREAT, now everything you need to do is getting out of the ruin and swimming to your sub,
in hope that it hadnt sunk or leave you yet.

So, thats how you get inside, take the artifact and get out again, BUT you can find MUCH more stuff in the sub...well, actually there are only 3 additional things.
5 if you count the monsters that WILL be there.

Your "goodies" you can find:

While traversing the ruins you can find some pretty neat stuff inside the ruins, ranging from life saving crystals to stunning monsters. Here is a small list:

- The oxygenite shard. A white colored crystal, which is pretty common inside a ruin. Once you find one, take out the oxygen tank form your suit, and put the shard inside. This way, you can conserve the oxyegn you might need for your cutter, AND can breath air for an astonishing long time.
Also, once inside the sub, it fills the hull it is inside, with air. So yeah, you can consider it an weak counterpart of the skyholder artifact.

- The sulphurite shard. This thing is a red ruby, which does absolutely nothing, yet. BUT you can deconstruct it to gain sulphuric acid and steel bars.

- Fractal guardians. Or just guardians. THESE monsters are very common monsters inside the ruins. There are two variations, both of them stunning you with their claws and dealing considerable damage to you. If you have two of them and a few other monsters in a room with you, you are fucked.
And no: Dont even bother attacking them, one variant has 500, the other 800 life points, PLUS, they do not bleed.
You have absolutely no chance at killing them, unless your sub somehow nukes them, you got morbusine with you or you got the.....

- ...Ancient weapon, which I still prefer to call seashell, as it looks like one. But this wonderful little seashell is your ticket to victory against EVERYTHING! Kill your friends, kill these guardians, and even kill an goddamn endworm with it! When used, it fires an HUGE plasmabeam, which annihilates EVERYTHING in its range, everything but doors, yet only damages one target at a time

So, this is everything I can tell you about ruin-scavenging, so now go out and make me proud!...or not.
Hi,

I'm Frost.