Should the submarines angle upwards and downwards during ascent/descent?

I know it's just a game but hear me out. In real life, when a submarine changes depth, the entire submarine will angle itself upwards/downwards almost 45°, forcing the crew to brace themselves while it moves. It looks pretty funny as a bunch of people practically lean on the floor to keep themselves upright. Looking like a bunch of Michael Jackson's leaning around the deck.

How possible would it be to bring this experience into Barotrauma? Perhaps, only during rapid/aggressive maneuvers, the sub would angle strongly and force the whole crew to adapt to the rocking of the ship while they conduct their tasks/fight monsters/try to repair/etc. It would incentivize the captains to navigate more responsibly and cause some hilarious scenarios when they don't.

The one BIG drawback I see in this is the sub potentially becoming stuck at such an extreme angle that players can't move, or even possibly trapping them. But, that could also easily be prevented by setting a maximum/minimum angle the subs are capable of achieving, so no matter what players can always at least walk around, even at its steepest angles.

Oh, AND, it would let nimble captains take some of the longest vessels through otherwise impassable gaps in terrain by angling the ship to slip through. That'd be really neat.

EDIT: Regalis has replied with this: "It would be quite tricky the implement because all the structures and items in the submarine are defined using axis-aligned bounding boxes, and there's lots of logic in the code that assumes the submarine and the structures are always axis-aligned (i.e. not rotated).
Currently the submarine doesn't actually rotate in any way - when you hit a rock, we rotate the camera instead of the sub to fake the impact. It does work quite well though, it seems that practically no-one has noticed that it's faked. So it could be possible to add some subtle rocking when maneuvering the sub with the same method. :)"
Last edited by Chonto on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Should the submarines angle upwards and downwards during ascent/descent?

Xeno wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:35 am
While this does seem cool to me I can already sense the crappy captains causing loose items to fall on some poor soul killing him, as well as trolls or greifers constantly rocking the sub back and forth

How never I do see this as a fun feature so perhaps it could be a option to enable in campaign
Agreed, but this game is way past that anyways. Any random can join any game, grab a plasma cutter and start griefing. If protecting us against trolls was a priority, the game would cease to exist.

BUT, one workaround is to make it so only the captain is good enough to perform such maneuvers.

Re: Should the submarines angle upwards and downwards during ascent/descent?

Chonto wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 am
Xeno wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:35 am
While this does seem cool to me I can already sense the crappy captains causing loose items to fall on some poor soul killing him, as well as trolls or greifers constantly rocking the sub back and forth

How never I do see this as a fun feature so perhaps it could be a option to enable in campaign
Agreed, but this game is way past that anyways. Any random can join any game, grab a plasma cutter and start griefing. If protecting us against trolls was a priority, the game would cease to exist.

BUT, one workaround is to make it so only the captain is good enough to perform such maneuvers.

I like the sound of that
Just your average drug addicted Medic