Polarizoa and Hydrozers [CREATURE CONCEPT]

sketch by me, i can't draw realistic like Subsurface's art so please excuse this cartoonish one.
IMAGE LINK (image is bigger here): http://i.imgur.com/8tqiPMC.png

The Polarizoa (coming from the word Polarizer and Hydrozoa (a genus of jellyfish)) is a enormous, pressure-adapted jellyfish-like creature that is capable of delivering extremely high electrical shocks via the use of the two tentacles dangling from it's lower body. It's made out of a strange, extremely soft oily substance, covered with a thin layer of extremely-fast-regenerating gel which helps it keep it's shape.It's organs are slightly more solid and are capable of regenerating extremely, extremely quick.

The Polarizoa is very, very soft, Railgun shells and Harpoon shots will pass straight through it. The player can even dive through it, but it's center is filled with a extremely acidic substance which will quickly deplete the player's health and kill him or her, diving through or tearing holes in the Polarizoa will leak some of this acid, but it'll quickly dissolve.

The Polarizoa delivers electrical shocks via a large organ in it's center, shaped like a tower, this organ generates electricity, which is delivered to it's two tentacles, where the small tendril-like protusions on the end of the tentacles transmit the current to it's target. In the top of this large organ is the only vulnerable part of the Polarizoa, it's brain, which is the only hard, solid part of it. (Which, while still invulnerable to railgun shots, is vulnerable to harpoon shots/melees)

It's known for treating Submarines as prey, attempting to adhere it's tentacles to the submarine and overloading it with electricity, generating power failures and overloading the reactor (also charging batteries extremely quick and making lamps explode/get really bright) until the ship runs out of air/makes the reactor explode, also causing slight, very slow damage to the hull near the tentacles. A player inside the ship won't get shocked by touching surfaces where the electricity is being spread throughout the submarine.

Polarizoas are only dangerous if either the end of the electric tentacles or the center of the head full of acid are touched, touching any other part will not damage the player at all, and the Polarizoa does not actively move it's tentacles to attack the player, as it has no eyes and cannot detect him or her.

The way to stop a Polarizoa is to either:

A. Cut one of it's tentacles so it cannot complete a circuit with the ship and it stops delivering electricity to it.
B. Destroy the organ in it's center.
c. Explode it to pieces. (Not with railgun)

If any of the tentacles in the Polarizoa are cut, they will regenerate after a while, and it'll go back to overloading the ship with electricity. Destroying the electricity-generating part will also stop it temporarily (a bit longer), but it'll leak acid which may damage the ship/player, and it'll regenerate after a while. Destroying the brain will kill the creature (with acid still leaking, but only in a small area). The acid in the Polarizoa is very, very corrosive, being able to damage the ship greatly, but only in a small area, the acid, once depleted, will be slowly generated again.

There are several small organisms called Hydrozers (Coming from the word Hydrozoa and Polarizer), which are symbiotic aquatic organisms that depend on the Polarizoa, travelling with it and resting inside the outer layer of it.

Hydrozers are a bit fast, and deliver nasty stings (like a jellyfish) to anything that may have attacked the Polarizer, in a effort to protect it. They're easily dispatched with any weapon, and they deliver very low damage per sting. A single Polarizoa can contain anywhere from 7 to 20 Hydrozers. And Polarizoas come in pairs, sometimes.

So, to put it shortly:

- The Polarizoa is a boss which will attempt to put its tentacles anywhere on the ship. If it does so, then it'll generate electricity overloads, which may damage the reactor and make equipment act erratically (doors closing and opening at random would be neat) and will damage the hull slightly.
- It's hitbox is very small, only composing of the small brain organ in the center of it's acid-filled interior. It's invulnerable to Railgun shots (but hitting it with the railgun will still make it leak acid everywhere and trigger the hydrozers to attack). The brain is vulnerable to harpoon and melee attacks.
- The only damaging parts of the Polarizoa are the end of the tentacles, and it's center.
- Attacking the Polarizoa will make it spawn Hydrozers.
- Hydrozers inflict low damage and are very fragile.
- Maybe a Polarizoa can be used as a second-hand reactor, if managed carefully and fixing any parts of the hull that get damaged due to the heat generated by the electricity.

How to kill/stop a Polarizoa:

1. Grab a diving suit and a weapon
2. Dive outside of the ship and get close to the Polarizoa
3. Hit the small organ in the center/cut the tentacles
4. Escape from the/Kill the Hydrozer swarm.
5. Go back into the ship.
6. Repair your stuff.
7. Get to the goal.

TL;DR: A boss which cannot be killed directly and damages the ship with electricity, and spawns minions.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Re: Polarizoa and Hydrozers [CREATURE CONCEPT]

Just gonna put this thing here as well with Taco's permission.

Me and Taco were discussing the creature and came up with this (bizarre) idea of why it targets the submarine.

When the Polarizoa encounters the submarine, it believes it to be a female of its species. As such, it will attempt to mate with the 'Female', starting by attempting to paralyze them with an electric shock. It will then penetrate the submarine and attempt to fertilize the eggs of the 'Female' by spewing semen inside. In light of this, once it attaches to the submarine it will begin leaking the substance, which is very acidic to humans.

This is brilliant! The electricity thing could make for some interesting boss fights, especially if it makes the equipment go crazy. The attacks could just send random signals to the wires which might cause some a ton of problems (unless you build some kind of validation system from regex/string components that requires the signals to start with some specific code for example).

Otherwise everything seems fairly easy to implement, but the gel-like regenerating body would require some kind of new system for rendering the characters. It could be used in plenty of other things as well though: being able to make body parts that distort or bend would make some characters look much better. Making the body parts out of several vertices that can distort instead of one static sprite might work.

Anyhow, thanks for a great idea, I'll be using this in one way or another for sure!
CommanderPro100 wrote:When the Polarizoa encounters the submarine, it believes it to be a female of its species. As such, it will attempt to mate with the 'Female', starting by attempting to paralyze them with an electric shock. It will then penetrate the submarine and attempt to fertilize the eggs of the 'Female' by spewing semen inside. In light of this, once it attaches to the submarine it will begin leaking the substance, which is very acidic to humans.
>an enormous jellyfish paralyzes and rapes your submarine
>drown in acidic semen

That's messed up. :D Not a bad idea though. I'm just not sure how that or information about any other creature should be explained in-game. Maybe some kind of pokedex-like thing where a new info page appears every time you encounter a new creature...?

Glad you like it!

A thing about the gel-like body tho:

My vision of the Polarizoa pretyy much consisted of a single, sometimes animated sprite that had ragdoll tentacles that acted as separate NPCs. The gel-like body was pretty much only a way to explain its immunity to railguns and harpoons, sorry if i explained badly haha
Regalis wrote: Making the body parts out of several vertices that can distort instead of one static sprite might work.
This does definitely sound good-looking for a lot of possible things, though!
Regalis wrote: Maybe some kind of pokedex-like thing where a new info page appears every time you encounter a new creature...?
Maybe the main computers in the captain room could have some sort of small wikipedia-ish hud with basic information on some creature's anatomy, with more info being unlocked the more you kill of them/the more you progress in the game. That way you'd have a basic idea on how to deal with each creature by inferring from anatomy info, with other entertaining facts and curiosities being unlocked later. ("Tiger Tresher Lore 4/10 Unlocked!")
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

I like it, you really thought this creature out and gave it some fun gameplay mechanics. I really don't have much critique for this Polarizoa. My only issue with the big guy is that I think it looks to much like a regular jellyfish. I would suggest incorporating elements of other animals to make this creature feel "not of this earth". Now the Hydrozers, I hate to say it but they look like balloons. I know you can do something more interesting for the little guys. Other than that nice work, it's a good creature design just keep pushing it!
Here is some random inspiration.
Bigfin squid/ long arm squid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOq8O-x55Os
Some strange jellyfish http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... sh-006.jpg
Giant siphonophore http://www.wired.com/2014/08/absurd-cre ... honophore/
Vampire Squid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8oWnbcLI40
Blue angel sea slugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5I3DvuqZo
Dumbo Octopus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qw8bAdIS_E
Giant Orthocone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4355DruKc
Comb jellys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7WT81ukHZE
Oh and don't forget to type "strange jellyfish" or "weird jellyfish" into google image search.
Email me at [email protected] if you need art done.

Moonsaber wrote:I like it, you really thought this creature out and gave it some fun gameplay mechanics. I really don't have much critique for this Polarizoa. My only issue with the big guy is that I think it looks to much like a regular jellyfish. I would suggest incorporating elements of other animals to make this creature feel "not of this earth". Now the Hydrozers, I hate to say it but they look like balloons. I know you can do something more interesting for the little guys. Other than that nice work, it's a good creature design just keep pushing it!

Oh and don't forget to type "strange jellyfish" or "weird jellyfish" into google image search.
I think maybe if the design was a bit more reminiscent of a Portugese man o' war, it would look even better, especially since the Polarizoa isn't 100% jellyfish, and men o' wars aren't true jellyfish either.

KirbyMario12345 wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:I like it, you really thought this creature out and gave it some fun gameplay mechanics. I really don't have much critique for this Polarizoa. My only issue with the big guy is that I think it looks to much like a regular jellyfish. I would suggest incorporating elements of other animals to make this creature feel "not of this earth". Now the Hydrozers, I hate to say it but they look like balloons. I know you can do something more interesting for the little guys. Other than that nice work, it's a good creature design just keep pushing it!

I think maybe if the design was a bit more reminiscent of a Portugese man o' war, it would look even better, especially since the Polarizoa isn't 100% jellyfish, and men o' wars aren't true jellyfish either.
Yeah, i was thinking about the Man o' war briefly and the word "buncha organisms travelling togheter" crossed my mind, so that's where the small dudes came from.

He IS right though, the design could be changed around so i may throw out another sketch soon enough.

EDIT: I literally forgot i'm still in Omniary's account. Err, i'm taco.
It slep time bunner.