Re: online custom submarine loader

This would definitely be useful. I could easily just make the server send the submarine file to the clients, but allowing the server to send an arbitrary file is a huge security risk, so I think I'll need to figure out a way to make sure the server can't send anything malicious to the clients' computers.

Re: online custom submarine loader

TheOverseerOfAll wrote:their should also be an online loader for custom heads maybe
I think having an online loader just for custom heads would be rather limited. There is more to just adding heads than simply slapping them in the folder. The assets in the game are detected by a specific ID and are positioned based on the character's xml file. In order for my mod to work, I had to adjust the original resolution of 37x38 to 75x75. If you slap in a file smaller than the set resolution smaller than the xml is set for, it will just float off in the distance. If you try to use a larger file, it will actually cut off and not display anything beyond the 75x75 mark, only showing a corner of your overall image. This is why the default heads are missing from the mod, I could manually expand each of the images and then reposition them on a proper 75x75 file, but It'd take some tinkering to make it compatible.

Plus, I seriously doubt the developer is going to go out of his way to redo the entire asset/character system just so people can have their meme heads. What I can suggest though, is maybe a general online loader for any mod. It would increase compatibility greatly and remove the issue of the game's files having to be 1:1 to even connect to the server, due to the MD5 Checksum. Obviously there are security risks with this, but if some framework is put into place for detecting a specific mod directory and only transferring files needed by the content packager, then it could definitely work. Maybe even limit it to file types that would be needed by the game.(.xml,.ogg,.png)

This way people can have their custom content, like their own custom content like heads, blocks, clothes, weapons, modes, etc without having to rely on single guy managing a repository.

[spoiler}It would solve a lot of headache on my end too, Babysitting threads for content just to make sure people are able to play together is kind of annoying. Hell, managing a repo in general is a hassle.[/spoiler]