Hull Armoring, Voice Chat, Tutorial Problem, Briefing

-------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~HULL ARMORING~~~~~~~~~

As the name suggests. Hull Armoring can be bought and applied after certain missions in the game. After you do something for one of the stations (let it be a science facility, ect...), you can be allowed to upgrade your hull. This would allow the player to sink deeper into the abyss, and allow for more missions/quests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_hull

~~~~~~~~~~~VOICE CHAT~~~~~~~~~~~

We all know communication with your team mates in something like Barotrauma is important, especially when in a Multiplayer server with people we don't know/have no other means of communication with. While the chat-based system in the game is good enough (for the time being), some, if not a lot, of people don't type fast, which could doom a submarine. Voice chat could solve that issue.

~~~~~~~TUTORIAL PROBLEM~~~~~~~~

We've all most likely played the tutorial, and it has a big issue that bothers me, and it's with the Moloch. Since you're an engineer, you don't have access to most doors. During the part where the Moloch attacks, it breaks a window in the front of the ship, and you're told at the last minute to get the fuck out of there. Well, once the room starts flooding, the only exit you have is the door at the bottom of the control room, but you die of pressure before you can leave. And since you can't leave using the other doors, you'd die from pressure. While you could get the diving suit from the beginning of the tutorial, it's unfair how the first-time player would just die since you have no means of escape from the control room.

~~~~~~~~MISSION BRIEFING~~~~~~~~~

One of my main problems with the missions is forgetting what I was originally supposed to do. Trying not to crash, get raped by Endworms and Molochs kind of take my mind away from the objective. It would be helpful to have a "briefing page", that can show the player what they're supposed to do while in the game. For example, pressing "B" and it shows a page telling you your objective, and whether it is completed or not.

For Example:
Spoiler
Ignore the "Smuggle out agent" objective and shit. I can't get the screen by its self. rip.

If there is something that's unclear, please message me!

Re: Hull Armoring, Voice Chat, Tutorial Problem, Briefing

I agree with everything but voice chat. I don't really know if voice chat is the way to go not mentioning strain on server but really voice chat in public servers quickly become spam fests. Along with the fact that if you are just playing with friends anyways, you are more than likely on some sort of third party voice chat system anyways. It doesn't seem all that necessary to have it built into the game itself.

What I might suggest is that a hex chat wheel system be put in. With basic help, follow, breach, careful, then up, down, left, right, this system would be a quick way to point out where and what you are intending to communicate without having it be a public mic situation. Also with regards to range of voice chat, it would be quite difficult to localize audio between sections of the hull unless you wanted to go for the whole area being able to hear everyone else. While it makes sense this makes the traitors job MUCH more difficult to accomplish since everyone everywhere has instant communication across the entire ship. Maybe an intercom system that might project voice across the ship if accessed could be the answer where someone has to purposefully select the intercom and key up for the mic to function. This would limit the spread of information and give the traitor a chance to save himself if someone goes for the mic and he is able to stop him.

These are just rough ideas but I don't think total voice for everyone is the way to go since if this game is going down the SS13 route. There needs to be a heavy reliance on bullshitery and the lack of communication to give the traitors a chance to liven up the game. If implemented to a point where every single traitor act is immediately reacted upon makes the traitors role a bit impossible and more of a nuisance rather than something that can add to a narrative.

Re: Hull Armoring, Voice Chat, Tutorial Problem, Briefing

- Hull armouring

I like the idea. Obviously heavier and more well armoured hulls would be harder to penetrate, but they could also drag the ship down more, meaning any ballast flooding or deep sea pressures would doom your ship.

- Voice Chat

While I don't mind it, I don't think it should be a priority. There are plenty of third party programs most of us use in a group anyway, and it seems like a lot of work for a small developer.

- Tutorial

The tutorial seems like it'll need an overhaul in the future anyway. What we need to focus doing is updating the wiki and producing tutorials on there for the classes. Very easy way to help get the game more popular.

- Mission Briefing

Don't see anything wrong with this