Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016) - Indev build 2 is out! (10.29.16)

Zackonark wrote: Sometimes when I pause the game or access the command console, the game itself freezes up, and I'm forced to restart it. Fortunately I can still access the pause menu when this happens, so I don't have to restart the game entirely.
Think i've discovered the cause of this bug. I use a flag to reset the state of the game after being paused, 'prevGameState', so that the game can resume whatever state it was in before pausing. That should never be set to paused itself, or it will create an infinite paused loop. I created a catch-all to ensure that this did not happen...except in one edge case.
When pausing the game and restarting it by clicking "Main Menu", prevGameState becomes set to 'paused'. Then, when you pause the actual game after loading it, the game enters the infinite loop. This bug will be fixed in the upcoming release.

zornor90 wrote:
Hubbawubba64 wrote:
zornor90 wrote: What...does this mean
It means adding camerafog, better lighting, correct surfaces, maybe toning down some GFX so it doesn't look like a typical shovelware unity game, completely fixing all bugged textures, 100%ing the map generator, adding most to all non-npc related events, all so that you can be done with something one at a time and not have to go back to it later to make changes, significantly simplifying things.
I mean obviously I'm not the developer here, but I feel like any game should have a straightforward one step at a time development path.
Ah I see. Yeah, I can see why that might make sense. Unfortunately, game development is rarely straightforward. It's a balancing act between making code that works now and ensuring that the code is scalable and modular, and will continue working in the future. It's easy to get bogged down in trying to make a system that will handle every end-case, to create the "perfect" system, and never produce anything...conversely, it's all too easy to produce code that "works" *cough*earlyaccess*cough*.
eyedine wrote:Hey OP, you fine with me suggesting a room?

Anyway, "room4offices"

It's a room 4 light containment area with 4 offices, yes, offices in the LCZ.

Since I have no clue how the forum screenshot function works, I'll just post an imgur link

Yes, the room was built on the Valve hammer editor and uses lots of assets from various source games

Hopefully you can substitute those models with actual SCP:CB assets and such
I am definitely fine with room suggestions! I'm not sure how many I'll implement tbh, especially when i haven't settled on the theme I want for each area. Right now, I'm more focused on core game systems
cross-conception wrote:also in terms of bugs i found two new problems with the game,
when running the game at the "fastest" quaity and loading the game it will appear as pitch darkness, the only thing visible is the blink/run meter. i tried to start a game and this happens every single time. thiss does not occur for any other lvl of quality.
this has been reported with others but they never mentioned quality

also with the gas room with the open close the texture of the door glitches out in a way i cant describe but seems to go further than is supposed to than is normal

PC specs (so you dont have to ask ever)
AMD Radeon R7 360
AMD FX 8320 EIGHT-core processor
8GB ram
and im unsure of motherboard but i dont think it matters
regards the serious cross :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck:
Ok that quality setting is interesting. I tried running it on my machine with fastest and that didn't happen. Would you mind PMing me the output.log file in the game folder, after starting and quitting a game where this occurs?
Zackonark wrote:
eyedine wrote:Hey OP, you fine with me suggesting a room?

Anyway, "room4offices"

It's a room 4 light containment area with 4 offices, yes, offices in the LCZ.

Since I have no clue how the forum screenshot function works, I'll just post an imgur link

Yes, the room was built on the Valve hammer editor and uses lots of assets from various source games

Hopefully you can substitute those models with actual SCP:CB assets and such
Imma go ahead and second that suggestion. I really like that room's layout.

Also, I had an idea for the clicking buttons behind you system.
What if instead of a single cursor that appears on your screen to represent the closest interactable object, a few appear instead. To select a specific one, an orientation lock could be implemented that allows the player's target reticle to be unlocked from center screen which they can then use to click on a specific interaction icon.
That's an interesting idea...I'm definitely still working on how to best represent that to the player.

Continuing to make progress; been sick the last few days so it's been slow, but I'm getting close to a fully functional options menu. I'll probably feature-freeze after that and fix a few bugs and do QA, and then release - mostly because it's a lot easier to test builds with these options so that everyone can tweak mouse acceleration / brightness to a good value for their systems.
i did end up sending you the log, can you tell me if you get it please? you didnt seem to get my other one

cross-conception wrote: -snip-

i did end up sending you the log, can you tell me if you get it please? you didnt seem to get my other one
I did, and responded to you. Thanks for sending me the log! Might I suggest that in the future, when quoting a massive block of text you do as I did and 'snip' the sections that do not pertain to your question? That will help keep the forums more readable. Also it's not generally good form to both send a PM and then ask on the thread itself if it was received.

Build coming tomorrow night!

So today I spent most of my time on the project playing with Unity post-processing. I've imported the new Cinematic Image Stack, which is still in beta, and I think I'm happy with just the basic results that that can provide.

Here's no effects applied:
Here's HDR applied (standard Unity camera setting)
And here's HDR and AO both applied
I've also upgraded AA to a much better version. I'll try to make sure that I include graphics settings to enable / disable this on older and newer machines.

Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016)

Inclination wrote:
zornor90 wrote:Update
Overall, it looks like we are getting close to a test build. I will most likely push one out relatively soon, once I've added death sounds and animations, tweaked 173's pathfinding a bit, and ensured that all rooms are lit. I will probably also want to add a button to open doors that are behind the player. In the original game, any pickable object can be picked within a certain distance of the player; my solution uses raycasting which is more precise, but only allows objects that the player targets to be selected. I will probably implement a separate button that the player can press to try and open a door that is behind him. This could add a cool horror mechanic where the player has to keep his eyes on 173 while spamming the button, but I will want to heavily test this.
In real life, you should not be able to hit a button 100% of the time while your back is against it; this mechanism is sublime and makes the game much more realistic.
So.... Will you implement this within this version..?

Inclination wrote:
Inclination wrote:
zornor90 wrote:Update
Overall, it looks like we are getting close to a test build. I will most likely push one out relatively soon, once I've added death sounds and animations, tweaked 173's pathfinding a bit, and ensured that all rooms are lit. I will probably also want to add a button to open doors that are behind the player. In the original game, any pickable object can be picked within a certain distance of the player; my solution uses raycasting which is more precise, but only allows objects that the player targets to be selected. I will probably implement a separate button that the player can press to try and open a door that is behind him. This could add a cool horror mechanic where the player has to keep his eyes on 173 while spamming the button, but I will want to heavily test this.
In real life, you should not be able to hit a button 100% of the time while your back is against it; this mechanism is sublime and makes the game much more realistic.
So.... Will you implement this within this version..?
So, here's the thing. I have not been able to make a separate button feel good. What I think I am going to do is to make it so that when you have buttons behind you, it creates a version of the handsprite at the bottom of the screen in the general direction of the button relative to the player. Left click will still open it, with a possible random chance.

The goal is to ensure that buttons behind the player can be clicked while keeping the game immersive and non-clunky.

zornor90 wrote:
cross-conception wrote: -snip-

i did end up sending you the log, .

Thanks for sending me the log!

Build coming tomorrow night!
really exited for tonights build but something else quite ive noticed happens, since i ran it on fastest ive noticed that the bightness on fantastic has become seemingly unstable and is sometimes really dark (but still playble) or the normal brightness.
im not sure if its a one of thing or im losing my mind. but hey at least the build tonight gonna be alot differant so dont pay this too much attention until after the release
-EDIT-
awsome work on the HDR keep it up
minor bugs
with 1123's room
the pedastal for the skull isnt solid and the door for the containment chamber visably comes out of the wall
the bugs here are the exact same for 178's room
the pedastal isnt solid and you can actually see the door frame and the door is visible in the room while its open
in the room where the ppl say "i think the shortest way out is through the south-east wing, follow me :173: !"
the lighting really is amazing but where the heavy door is unlike other simalar ereas you can fall out the map
372's room
has differant bugs to the other rooms. dont know if its just dark there but there doesent seem to be a poster for what the scp is and if you walk to the back of the room and look into the cage the stained glass dosent appear to be there but if your in the cage and look at the same wall it works properly
elevator room
i do have a screenshot for this but i dont know how to send it, if someone couls pm me with how its done ill edit this in
test room
in the room where you encounter 173 and get the level 2 keycard you can phase through the locked door oposite the entrance and fall out of the map (cant tell if seroius or not)
armoury another pillar glitch, if you go on the left side and wak to the back youll be between a pillar and the shelves, if you look into the pillar youcan see through it (but not out of the map) sprinting in to this glich causes the player to get stuck in the wall, in the entrance to the armoury where i think there is supposed to be a door theres just a gap in the wall (the first door does show up though)
i know your using placeholders right because indev reason's bt for rooms that you can see the edge of a wall its probably better just to make the door go one way
dedicated a bit more time to exploring the game and im trying to find as many as possible, its not your game being broken its me being thourough XD
and thats it for every single bug i could find in the game that hasent already been reported
but i did find the work in progress underground section and even though there isnt any lighting in there but from what i could see the collision works properly

cross :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck:
Last edited by cross-conception on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.