Re: Dev Topic #4

All DNA scanners are meant to be unlocked with the severed hand item. A rare spawn in an scp containment cell, endzones, etc. It should be used to get into 079s chamber (?) at least that's how its supposed to be. I've only noted them in the big gas chamber as commander mentioned. #PeanutDoesntEvenKnowWhatHisSuggestionsAre

Also I've failed to find the severed hand in my first play through due to my terrible fate with scp-***

-------\
Regbro, I have a couple suggestions:
939: Should have louder footsteps with scraping of their claws, as well I think they should have actual monster screeching and roaring sounds, along with their human vocal imitation. They seem a bit "plain" atm.

Looking at the amount of game-breaking bugs and framerate issues, I guess it would've been a good idea to release that pre-1.0 update I mentioned some time ago...

A ton of the bugs have been fixed now though (and I'll upload the bugfix update some time tomorrow), here's what's been going on in the bug reports section:
juanjpro wrote:
Regalis wrote:
juanjpro wrote:After some messing around with the UpdateRooms function, the game runs at a stable 60 FPS for me. Now, when you close a door behind you the game stops rendering the room behind it.

Edit: I found another bug, using any item with the DNA scanner opens the door.
Sounds awesome, at what FPS was it running before that? Code plz? :)
It used to run at 50 FPS without the FPS limit. Here's the modified source code, I also added this dll, which may or may not help with performance issues on Windows 8 (I'm not sure of what it does, and I don't have Windows 8 so I can't test it). Some bump mapping bugs have also been fixed, the game doesn't crash anymore and they look a bit better than v0.9.3.

Edit: For all Windows 8 users who see this: please download this and test it, and tell me if there are any performance improvements
Regalis wrote:
juanjpro wrote:
Omniary wrote:-MAV at 860's room.
I think this is because I did something really stupid with the implementation of the forest:

Code: Select all

Handle(fr)
Handle(dp)
I should've added a new field to the rooms type so we could add the forest object safely, rather than use the Handle function.
I changed it now, hopefully it'll do the trick. I have no idea though why it's working fine for some people (including me), and since I can't reproduce the crashes I can't test whether this fix worked.
Regalis wrote:Just found a severe bug in the UpdateRooms-function, specifically the part where the distance to rooms is calculated. It didn't assign the distance to the distance-field of the rooms if the player was further away from the room than the hide distance (dist = x instead of r\dist = x), which made it appear as if the player was 0 units away from those rooms. This caused at least the radio- and navigator bugs because the game though the player is constantly inside 895's room, and the frequent 079 sounds because it appeared as if the player was in all the rooms with a security camera monitor in them. I'm sure it also caused other bugs as well, and it was one of the causes of the framerate issues, because the game was constantly doing visibility checks with the monitors even if the player was at the other side of the map.
Regalis wrote:The severed hands now spawn properly and other items than the hand can't be used to open a door with a DNA scanner anymore.
Regalis wrote:Fixed the SCP-970 bug with a sort-of a workaround, I just placed invisible "bumpers" around the door frame to stop the player from colliding with it, and it seems to be working perfectly.
-----
Mirocaine wrote:939: Should have louder footsteps with scraping of their claws, as well I think they should have actual monster screeching and roaring sounds, along with their human vocal imitation. They seem a bit "plain" atm.
Yeah, that'd probably make them a bit scarier. I think the article doesn't mention them making any other sounds than those imitations, but it doesn't say that they couldn't make sounds of their own either, so I guess it's in the confines of the article.

Regalis wrote:
Mirocaine wrote:939: Should have louder footsteps with scraping of their claws, as well I think they should have actual monster screeching and roaring sounds, along with their human vocal imitation. They seem a bit "plain" atm.
Yeah, that'd probably make them a bit scarier. I think the article doesn't mention them making any other sounds than those imitations, but it doesn't say that they couldn't make sounds of their own either, so I guess it's in the confines of the article.
Perhaps a panic track when they're chasing you? I mean, there's the audio cue when they charge you, but there should be some horrible sounding music while they're chasing you down (*cough* hush ). Maybe some of their own ambient music in the storage area as well?
Mirocaine wrote:#PeanutDoesntEvenKnowWhatHisSuggestionsAre
dont talk to me :035:
It slep time bunner.

juanjpro wrote:It used to run at 50 FPS without the FPS limit. Here's the modified source code, I also added this dll, which may or may not help with performance issues on Windows 8 (I'm not sure of what it does, and I don't have Windows 8 so I can't test it). Some bump mapping bugs have also been fixed, the game doesn't crash anymore and they look a bit better than v0.9.3.

Edit: For all Windows 8 users who see this: please download this and test it, and tell me if there are any performance improvements
Wow juan. I downloaded those files, and I was a bit confused on what to do, so I downloaded the winfix dll and decls and put them in the source code folder, then I dragged all the source code files into my main SCP:CB v1.0 folder. I'm assuming I was supposed to do that.
Anyway, running it on 1920x1080p full screen, I was getting 30fps on the main menu, which is really good. However when I go to the options, it drops to 8fps, not sure why.
Then when I actually play, it runs 50-60 fps!!! That definitely helped a lot! I'm glad I saw this, thanks!

Omniary wrote:
Regalis wrote:
Perhaps a panic track when they're chasing you? I mean, there's the audio cue when they charge you, but there should be some horrible sounding music while they're chasing you down (*cough* hush ). Maybe some of their own ambient music in the storage area as well?
Mirocaine wrote:#PeanutDoesntEvenKnowWhatHisSuggestionsAre
dont talk to me :035:
Need any help with making one? I've still got loads of other Tracks on my SoundCloud too. :P

There is Terrifying Event. https://soundcloud.com/fire-fox-3/terrifying-event

I even replaced the Amnesia The Dark Descent Terror Meter with it.

I know Regalis used it in the Intro Sequence during the Break Out.. Oddly enough, I can't find the Audio File in the Game Files.

Oh and there is this. - https://soundcloud.com/fire-fox-3/scp-939-growling
Last edited by FireFox on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter
SCP Containment Breach Sound Designer.
Favourite SCP is SCP-1845-1.

Kalaster1 wrote:Anyway, running it on 1920x1080p full screen, I was getting 30fps on the main menu, which is really good. However when I go to the options, it drops to 8fps, not sure why.
Blitz3D doesn't use your graphics hardware to do 2D stuff, so that causes a major slowdown. The Option menu has several lines of text, which makes things worse (FastText isn't so fast lol), and to fix that there would be a really difficult to maintain chunk of code (create a camera, setup camera, create a sprite, create a texture, draw text to the texture, setup sprite) or a DLL.

Kalaster1 wrote:And I'm not sure if this problem was created from that source code, but now whenever I die, it no longer gives me the option to respawn, only quit.
Make sure you're playing in Euclid mode, and that you saved the game at least once.

juanjpro wrote:
Kalaster1 wrote:And I'm not sure if this problem was created from that source code, but now whenever I die, it no longer gives me the option to respawn, only quit.
Make sure you're playing in Euclid mode, and that you saved the game at least once.
Oh sorry, my mistake.

Small suggestion, could the guards walking speed be sped up a little? The player walks much faster than the guards without sprinting, bumping into them is a tad annoying.
I'm not here as much right now, mention me on our Discord server if you need anything.