Why Can't NPCs turn their Heads?

Okay, I've noticed that in the game the NPCs move their entire bodies when they want to face a direction. I think that it would be better if they could turn their heads also. It just looks unnatural how they move in game right now. I've especially noticed this problem with the updated 096 scripted sequence when the guard turns his entire body just to face him.

Re: Why Can't NPCs turn their Heads?

Making such small animations shouldn't be hard at all, really. I believe that it can even be done through code(it might even be better). The only problem (from my part), is that I barely talk to Regalis, so it's harder for me to decide on stuff like this, and actually plan how stuff will look in-game. (e.g when the new 096 model was added, Regalis didn't tell me that he was going to make 096 rotate while panicking.)
The last time I have ever talked to him was when I sent him the new forum smileys, which was quite a while back.
Some quick links for myself (and you all too).
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Night wrote:Making such small animations shouldn't be hard at all, really. I believe that it can even be done through code(it might even be better). The only problem (from my part), is that I barely talk to Regalis, so it's harder for me to decide on stuff like this, and actually plan how stuff will look in-game. (e.g when the new 096 model was added, Regalis didn't tell me that he was going to make 096 rotate while panicking.)
The last time I have ever talked to him was when I sent him the new forum smileys, which was quite a while back.
He rotates like he has greased butter on his feet. I think his body should just be static while the freak-out animations play.

I've suggested this before, but you should splice the model, since Regalis hasn't coded animation blending.
So the legs, head, and torso are different models, drawn at the same origin point, but match up, so that the legs can be walking, the torso shooting, and the head looking away, all at once.
All controlled by a state machine, along with the current AI.