The way SCP-513 works...

Like many of you, I was thrilled to see the radical ghost back in action (Regalis let me kiss you), HOWEVER don't you think it's a bit annoying that you have to 'activate' it yourself? Fair enough with some of the other SCPs which can simply be avoided, but I would rather this one was forced upon the player. It's just not an SCP to miss, and some people may not know that it cannot harm you, and leave it alone. Perhaps the player could knock it off the stand when walking by? I'm not sure... thoughts?

Re: The way SCP-513 works...

Having it be forced onto the player like in the older versions would be a bit cruel and unfair, gameplay wise, but having to ring it yourself is a bit simplistic and unthreatening imo. I thought (when suggesting on reimplementing 513) that it would be a lot harder to handle 513 if it rang whenever you ran, and or dropped it. Practically making it the 714 of death.

Also, why doesn't 513-1 cause you to die? That really makes this feel like 372, and almost unthreatening. The player should start to get dizzy whenever they see 513 and once he starts to appear more frequently, our player could pass out with a message saying (if 513 is still in the inventory) "Subject D-9341 was found dead in Precinct-3A with several self inflicted injuries to the arms and neck. However, autopsies reveal that the subject died of multiple panic attacks and asphyxiation. Cause of death is assumed to be associated with SCP-513, which was found in the subject's possession."
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:Having it be forced onto the player like in the older versions would be a bit cruel and unfair, gameplay wise, but having to ring it yourself is a bit simplistic and unthreatening imo. I thought (when suggesting on reimplementing 513) that it would be a lot harder to handle 513 if it rang whenever you ran, and or dropped it. Practically making it the 714 of death.

Also, why doesn't 513-1 cause you to die? That really makes this feel like 372, and almost unthreatening. The player should start to get dizzy whenever they see 513 and once he starts to appear more frequently, our player could pass out with a message saying (if 513 is still in the inventory) "Subject D-9341 was found dead in Precinct-3A with several self inflicted injuries to the arms and neck. However, autopsies reveal that the subject died of multiple panic attacks and asphyxiation. Cause of death is assumed to be associated with SCP-513, which was found in the subject's possession."
Well I think it would take quite some time for it to kill the player, probably until after the breach (that is, assuming that they even survived). Because of this, it could remain harmless, just a great looking spooky SCP. Ooooor, the suicide could be a kinda new ending. The same as the ones we have now because it doesn't take effect quick enough to change them, only tweaked slightly. I may be asking of too much here, I don't know.

Omniary wrote:Also, why doesn't 513-1 cause you to die? That really makes this feel like 372, and almost unthreatening. The player should start to get dizzy whenever they see 513 and once he starts to appear more frequently, our player could pass out with a message saying (if 513 is still in the inventory) "Subject D-9341 was found dead in Precinct-3A with several self inflicted injuries to the arms and neck. However, autopsies reveal that the subject died of multiple panic attacks and asphyxiation. Cause of death is assumed to be associated with SCP-513, which was found in the subject's possession."
Wasn't it taken out for part of the reason being that those who continue to see the -1 instance would eventually suicide, nullifying the point of escape in the first place?
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote:Wasn't it taken out for part of the reason being that those who continue to see the -1 instance would eventually suicide, nullifying the point of escape in the first place?
Yeah, it doesn't seem like that changed or anything, the only difference is that it isn't forced upon you now.
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:
Nightmare Tank wrote:Wasn't it taken out for part of the reason being that those who continue to see the -1 instance would eventually suicide, nullifying the point of escape in the first place?
Yeah, it doesn't seem like that changed or anything, the only difference is that it isn't forced upon you now.
Quite frankly, I think this is the creepier decision. Sometimes atmosphere and creepiness is better when it's triggered by user input, in this case, ringing The Cowbell since scripted sequences, while nice eventually become expected and almost dull in time. The fact that the user can decide whether or not it's triggered can twist the flavour of the playthrough a little bit.
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote:
Omniary wrote:
Quite frankly, I think this is the creepier decision. Sometimes atmosphere and creepiness is better when it's triggered by user input, in this case, ringing The Cowbell since scripted sequences, while nice eventually become expected and almost dull in time. The fact that the user can decide whether or not it's triggered can twist the flavour of the playthrough a little bit.
Hmmm... true.

If you hear the bell, than at Gate A or B outside of the elevator he pops up, and the player has a panic attack and dies.
Also, on Keter you should have it threaten the player, it should be mandatory unless the player can find an item, maybe
earmuffs like discussed earlier? Then the player must be forced to wear them constantly, they know not when it will ring.
And they also cannot hear 173 and 106 moving.

Do they currently play a creepy sound when you run into 513-1? They should if they don't already; it would play into the whole "slowly losing your sanity" theme surrounding SCP 513, and make 513-1 that much scarier.
"Yes, it's a goddamn nuke, but if 682 survives and adapts we'd be boned beyond belief."