The Bloop

http://youtu.be/oCw16_Yxid0
(Embedding is disabled for some reason)
(The main sound happens at 0:46)

Okay, I was looking at unexplained occurrences in nature, and this one in particular creeped me out. It's called the bloop, and it's a sound that was recorded underwater in 1997. It was several thousands of times louder than any biological creature could produce (Even most whales) and could be heard from sensors that were 5,000km apart, but didn't sound natural. The sound you're listening to is in real time, but when you speed it up 16x, it sounds like a normal bubble rising to the surface and popping. Some people have called it the sound of a gigantic sea-creature further down than we've ever explored, and some people think it was an un-detonated bomb finally going off. Either way, it's made me think for about 2 hours now, what do you guys think? What is it, and/or what caused it?

P.S.
It's a sound effect in Containment Breach.
Just think about it next time you hear it during gameplay.

Re: The Bloop

Wow, it's actually really cool to hear the actual origins of ambient6, as creepy as they are.

You know, I'm willing to guess that Regalis got these sounds from various collaborators from /v/ or somewhere similar. That would explain why a Cry of Fear sound was found out to have been used and how such an obscure and creepy sound like this ended up being used.

Not to mention that the actual sound and history to it are pretty creepy, would make for really good creepypasta/SCP material. SCP-169 comes to mind.
It slep time bunner.

FoxMccloud64 wrote:Looked this up, the sound was a iceberg breaking
I've read through 12 articles about the bloop, and I've heard this theory about 4 times. I would agree, but that doesn't explain why we don't hear it more often if icebergs are breaking and changing every day. The "bloop" has been recorded several times during the summer it happened, but the loudest one (heard in the video) was much louder than any of the others. Since then, no recordings similar to it have come up.

Now I agree, ice can make some pretty strange sounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWsaNhJUY_w), but with a frequency louder than any organism on record? I just don't know about that.

While it would be cool if it were a massive mysterious sea creature we've never heard of common sense dictates such a thing just wouldn't exist. Where would it get it's nutrients? Anyways it really does stir up your imagination. I'm just thinking of a massive explosion happening under the ocean while a gargantuan beast that looks like a massive, rocky man rises from the blast zone in the middle of a tsunami, dry ocean floor at it's feet while swirls of evaporated water orbits it as it prepares to unleash it's horrific power unto the world.
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Actually Destructoid, they have found a creature larger than a submarine that still exists. Just most people don't believe it because it's so rarely seen. Megalodon. They have photgraphs, a video or two, and even a dive time for I think it was 6,000 feet in only a couple of minutes (that's faster than anything you can think of) all as evidence to support it's existence. This creature could surely have made this noise. If you don't believe me, let me ask you this. How could they tag a deapth recorder to a creature that doesn't exist?
I'LL GO NIGHTMARE MOON ON YOUR ASS!

Princess Luna wrote:Actually Destructoid, they have found a creature larger than a submarine that still exists. Just most people don't believe it because it's so rarely seen. Megalodon. They have photgraphs, a video or two, and even a dive time for I think it was 6,000 feet in only a couple of minutes (that's faster than anything you can think of) all as evidence to support it's existence. This creature could surely have made this noise. If you don't believe me, let me ask you this. How could they tag a deapth recorder to a creature that doesn't exist?
Oh hell those things would have been terrifying. Sometimes I wish terrifying things like that existed just so you could marvel at the majesty of one.
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Well, Megalodon does exist. It is a shark that is so big, it can bite a whale in half with only a single bite. Putting this fish at bigger than a whale shark. And the bigger the animal, the louder it is.
I'LL GO NIGHTMARE MOON ON YOUR ASS!