Re: What would you like to see from a Lets Play?

RobbieNewton wrote:PD is the Plague Doctor right? Yeah, like with Markiplier, he's great but often can sometimes avoid those tunnels. Though it is fun when he goes into the elvator thinking it is the Maintenance tunnel and it is the Plague Doctor. I enjoy the tunnels.
no with PD i meant Pocket Dimension but yeah most people try to avoid SCP-049 too :/
こんにちは。私の名前はユカです!はじめまして!
My Steam Account

RobbieNewton wrote:Here is my most recent one

-snip- (you may recognise it from my signature)

But I have 3 other play throughs in addition to that. I see quite a lot in this recent one and get a few good scares, but is there anything in particular you guys would like to see? Perhaps something that has not really been done before?
I'm a little late to the party, but hey.
First off, lose the facecam. Facecams don't help anyone and they distract from the gameplay.

Princess Luna wrote:Does it really? I never thought so. I myself was going to use a facecam, but now that this was brought to my attention, I'm gonna make two videos for each playthrough. One with facecam, and one without.
Well, using Cryaotic for reference because he's my personal favourite:
The facecam is distracting.
But, on the chance you experience a rise in popularity, it's not great. Pewdiepie, for instance, can't go anywhere, especially in america, without being flanked by fans.
Also, take into account the "man with the golden voice". There's the mystery of being a figure, an entity, and not an object.

On a related note that explains that more explains my own issue, if you're a guy you'll have to deal with fangirls and if you're a girl you'll be distracting for a different reason. (In general)

If you've already done playthroughs with a facecam, I would keep doing it unless you want to go back and edit it out of all your old videos and reupload them. But if you haven't done any yet, don't start with them.

Wow, this was much more of a rant than I expected it to be.

No, I haven't uploaded any videos with a facecam. I have eight in total with just over ten views each, which wasn't what I was expecting to see after a week. I expected far more views than that, especially since I have a link to my videos in my signature.

You do bring up good points. I especially like the idea of being an entity with no face to speak of.

Do you have any other tips for a beginner let's player?
Also, do you know of any good free screen recording softwares? I still need this in order to do my SCP Let's Plays.
I'LL GO NIGHTMARE MOON ON YOUR ASS!

Princess Luna wrote:No, I haven't uploaded any videos with a facecam. I have eight in total with just over ten views each, which wasn't what I was expecting to see after a week. I expected far more views than that, especially since I have a link to my videos in my signature.

You do bring up good points. I especially like the idea of being an entity with no face to speak of.

Do you have any other tips for a beginner let's player?
Also, do you know of any good free screen recording softwares? I still need this in order to do my SCP Let's Plays.
I don't actually make Lets PLays (although I've considered it), but I think Bandicam is a free software capture. Audacity is a free audio capture for what you say that works well, too.

Other tips are: don't talk over cutscenes. That's not a huge problem in survival horror games, usually. But if you play a story-based game, take it seriously. The Last of Us, for instance, or the Walking Dead, are terrible games to constantly make jokes about.
On the flipside, you should be funny. Don't force it, though. Just say what's on your mind. You'll probably suck at first but it'll get better.
And don't forget about fan appeal. Be engaged in your audience. The best youtubers (Cry, Markiplier, etc.) constantly reply to their fans.

Princess Luna wrote:I've been wanting to use Bandicam, but the stupid internet controls set at school won't allow me to get it.
Are you recording from school?

I'm gonna check out a video or two of yours and see if I can offer any more suggestions.

EDIT: You actually have a good voice to pull off the no facecam, so that's not an issue. If you want to get popular, I'd probably try to get rid of any MLP-related references. I'm not going to say anything anti-brony here, but other people aren't so kind. So I'd say make minimal references to that in speech and take it out of your persona (profile picture and screen name) entirely. (However, being a guy and having Princess in your name is an irony that at least I appreciate, and other people would. So, in my opinion, keep that and add maybe one more word).

However, if you are trying to be popular, don't. That's the biggest point I'll make. Play games you enjoy and don't do anything you don't like. Don't give into pressure, whether it be for a facecam or a game. If you enjoy what you're doing, others will enjoy watching it.

Your commentary isn't the best, but you just started and you'll grow into it the longer you play. You actually don't sound stiff, which is a huge advantage and very hard not to do.

That said, I will probably subscribe and stick around for you to get a software capture and see how it goes from there :]