Re: Dev Topic #4

So, my autumn semester of computer sciences started last month and I haven't had as much time to work on SCP-CB as I would've wanted (but I've made enough progress to release the next minor update pretty soon). We're currently doing a software development course that will go on until next spring, and our team is doing a game project which is taking quite a lot of my time. The software has to be made for some company, but making it for you own company was also allowed, so our team decided that I'll start up one myself so we can work on our own terms and decide ourselves what kind of project we'll be doing. I'd probably had to start one in the near future anyway if I wanted my next project after SCP-CB to be a commercial game, so I think this was a good time do it. I've still got some paper work to do before it's official, so I'll tell more about this later. :)

Anyway, here's some of the stuff that will be in v1.0.6:
- The props in the rooms (lamps, chairs, etc) aren't included in the actual room model anymore, but instead share the same model. Meaning that the same chair model is loaded only once, not for every chair in all of the rooms. This reduces memory consumption quite a lot, as well as the file size of the room models. This could also be used to add some variety to the rooms. For example, a hallway could have a 50% chance to have some pipes on the wall or something like that.
- There's now a room in the pocket dimension where you'll be able to force yourself through a patch of 106-goo on the wall to get back to the facility.
- A little new 106-related event and some improvements to the event where 106 catches the janitor in the endroom.
- The game card system is much more balanced now.
- Some new sounds and bugfixes as usual.

The slider for gamma would also be a good addition, I think I'll put that in as well. Letting the player adjust the fog is a little problematic, because the game relies on the fog being at certain distance to hide some details that the player shouldn't see. For example, increasing the distance allows you to see rooms disappearing as you move further away from them.

Regalis wrote:The software has to be made for some company, but making it for you own company was also allowed, so our team decided that I'll start up one myself so we can work on our own terms and decide ourselves what kind of project we'll be doing. I'd probably had to start one in the near future anyway if I wanted my next project after SCP-CB to be a commercial game, so I think this was a good time do it. I've still got some paper work to do before it's official, so I'll tell more about this later. :)
Congratulations Regalis! You've already proven that you have what it takes to see an idea through to its completion. I'm glad you have found an opportunity to start moving your development efforts to the next level, and I'm sure your next project will be a big success :173:

It would be cool if 1.0.6 would be released on Halloween(Which in Europe is today)(But seems unlikely for me)
Not rushing just voicing my opinion here.
Playing SCP : Containment Breach since v0.6.5.

My favorite SCP's: Pretty much all of them

AveryLP wrote:It would be cool if 1.0.6 would be released on Halloween(Which in Europe is today)(But seems unlikely for me)
Not rushing just voicing my opinion here.
The update is HERE (it's November 1 now here though)
SCP: Eric Breach nanomod maker (if anyone wants to revamp it be my guest, as it is now defunct)
Fan of Doctor Who, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Sleepy Hollow, Person of Interest, Happy (2017) and Silicon Valley. And also MCU films.

Sorry for the lack of updates/posts lately, I've had my hands full on a couple of other projects, including...
Undertow Games is now a registered company, and a website+blog is now up! So if you want to hear what I've been up to lately and a little introduction to the new game project I've gradually been moving onto, check out the blog. And even though I don't talk about SCP-CB much in the blog posts I've made so far, I haven't abandoned it: there will still be updates every now and then, even though I'm putting more focus on Subsurface now.

Regalis wrote:Sorry for the lack of updates/posts lately, I've had my hands full on a couple of other projects, including...
Undertow Games is now a registered company, and a website+blog is now up! So if you want to hear what I've been up to lately and a little introduction to the new game project I've gradually been moving onto, check out the blog. And even though I don't talk about SCP-CB much in the blog posts I've made so far, I haven't abandoned it: there will still be updates every now and then, even though I'm putting more focus on Subsurface now.
:gasp: NO WAY, YOU, NOW, OWN, A, COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This profile's been around for nearly eight years

RIP

(last edited 10/09/2020)