Re: The current GUI

Using a 3D model to display the radio and the navigator would take a very high-poly model or it might look even worse than now. The current images definitely need to be improved though, so I did some changes to the models and the GUI images and I think they look pretty good now:

The models
Navigator
Radio

They still need some polishing; I think I'll scale the navigator down a bit and move it to the corner like the radio, and try to mess with fastextension to get rid of the jagged edges.

I also made the camera zoom at the keypads instead of the floating image of a button. It needs some work well too, at least a texture with a higher resolution and making the text look less "floaty".
Irontaco wrote:
I've tried to keep all kinds of HUDs and menus to a minimum for the sake of immersion, so honestly I'm not a fan of this idea. I also think most of that is unnecessary:
- I don't really see the point of the health/status information, since you can notice the status effects in-game already. Besides, I think the current system with one injury-value does it job well enough and I think keeping track of individual limbs would be just overcomplicating things.
- The item description feels unnecessary too. D-9341 doesn't know about the items any more than you do, and there shouldn't be a magical description explaining you what the item is or does.
- It was a intentional choice to unpause the game when reading documents, and I don't think it should be changed by letting the player view them in the inventory.

Regalis wrote: stuff
Looking much better! I guess models aren't needed after all. Also, fair enough with the inventory, I can see where you're coming from when you put it like that.
Last edited by Skin_ on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regalis wrote:I did some changes to the models and the GUI images and I think they look pretty good now:

The models
Navigator
Radio

I also made the camera zoom at the keypads instead of the floating image of a button. It needs some work well too, at least a texture with a higher resolution and making the text look less "floaty".
Nice Mr. Spider, very nice.
This profile's been around for nearly eight years

RIP

(last edited 10/09/2020)

Nice work on the new radio and nav, they look a lot better and more realistic (albeit somewhat generic, maybe a foundation logo?)
Regalis wrote:The item description feels unnecessary too. D-9341 doesn't know about the items any more than you do, and there shouldn't be a magical description explaining you what the item is or does.
I actually enjoy this idea, if written from the standard of D-9341, I don't think it'd be a bad addition. Just hovering over an object in the inventory could display a small blurb of text at the bottom, like "It's a 9V battery, wonder if it'll work with anything here." or "This note is singed and slightly warm to the touch." It could also show how D-9341 is currently feeling while idle, IE "The wound is still bleeding quite badly." or "Your legs feel weak."

Also, speaking of stuff involving the GUI, there needs to be emphasis that clicking the right mouse button takes down what ever is on the screen, most people just use the escape or tab key. You could probably introduce this when the guard comes in when you're reading a document.

Edit: This also loosely has to do with the GUI but could you perhaps see to improving the computer screens, and making them somewhat interactable, like a mini menu? It'd be more interesting to be able to read and open multiple documents or emails on a computer.
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:This also loosely has to do with the GUI but could you perhaps see to improving the computer screens, and making them somewhat interactable, like a mini menu? It'd be more interesting to be able to read and open multiple documents or emails on a computer.
Could make them a little more interesting, but most of the computers are powered off anyway. Plus, if they don't have any useful information for players, it's pretty much just game clutter. Can't really put SCP documents on there, 'cause those pretty much exist in paper form around the facility. Hmmm...
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote: Could make them a little more interesting, but most of the computers are powered off anyway. Plus, if they don't have any useful information for players, it's pretty much just game clutter. Can't really put SCP documents on there, 'cause those pretty much exist in paper form around the facility. Hmmm...
Actually, it would make more sense if they held digital copies through facilities servers, rather than just print everything. Would be really stupid if they had no digital back-up.

I think that there should be SCP documents, experiment notes, or just general notes on computers. It would be cool for new players to be able to use the computers to gather more information about the SCP universe.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-