Re: SCP:CB to Source Engine

If you need any help with I/O aspects of the map (sequencial cutscenes of various moving brushes, lights whatevs) let me know; i've done a few maps for Gmod gamemodes (and optimized several old ones) so i'm aware of how it works.

I'm curious though, how is the game gonna work in Source when in Blitz3D it randomly generates rooms of the map? From what i can see you're doing individual rooms as individual maps, so i'm wondering how it's all gonna be put togheter in Source, especially concerning leaks, as the connecting-pathway to a specific room would be a hole into the map's void, causing the aforementioned problem. You cannot seal leaks utilizing non-solid geometry, either. The game on Blitz3d can use independent map files for rooms since it was coded for that purpose, and 3DWorldStudio doesn't really cause that much of a fuss when it comes to leaking. While in the other hand Source was designed for complete maps.

I'm also confused as to how vvis and vrad are gonna work when you're utilizing segmented sections, since the rooms are individual maps, the game won't know how light behaves in, for example, light coming into a room from another room. Or what can be seen of a room, from another room.

Also, door-triggered areaportals would make me drool. So organized and neat. :0492:
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Spoiler
Irontaco wrote:If you need any help with I/O aspects of the map (sequencial cutscenes of various moving brushes, lights whatevs) let me know; i've done a few maps for Gmod gamemodes (and optimized several old ones) so i'm aware of how it works.

I'm curious though, how is the game gonna work in Source when in Blitz3D it randomly generates rooms of the map? From what i can see you're doing individual rooms as individual maps, so i'm wondering how it's all gonna be put togheter in Source, especially concerning leaks, as the connecting-pathway to a specific room would be a hole into the map's void, causing the aforementioned problem. You cannot seal leaks utilizing non-solid geometry, either. The game on Blitz3d can use independent map files for rooms since it was coded for that purpose, and 3DWorldStudio doesn't really cause that much of a fuss when it comes to leaking. While in the other hand Source was designed for complete maps.

I'm also confused as to how vvis and vrad are gonna work when you're utilizing segmented sections, since the rooms are individual maps, the game won't know how light behaves in, for example, light coming into a room from another room. Or what can be seen of a room, from another room.

Also, door-triggered areaportals would make me drool. So organized and neat. :0492:
What I plan is converting all the rooms to vmf and "stitching" them all together into one or two maps. I hadn't planned on doing a working remake of the game. It is possible and could be planned to do events such as the intro and various other things seen in game but random map generation and other such mechanics that could really only be executed via the blitz engine aren't. I haven't put much major planning in to the map port process as I have been mostly working with models and textures thus far.

In short I don't plan on random map generation as I am not sure how I would go about the process in Source.

I wish the best of luck of your compiling. Also, just asking, could you port some of the animations from the original models, just to see if it was possible. Because I'm a lua coder and that could help me with making some NextBot NPCs when you release the models. Best of luck and hope to see this soon. :D 8) P.S. I will only use these models if you give me permission to use them when they are released.
I know you, but you don't know me.
I see you. Don't believe me?
Here is some proof:

==================
| You are viewing my post |
==================

Mr. Guy wrote:
Spoiler
I wish the best of luck of your compiling. Also, just asking, could you port some of the animations from the original models, just to see if it was possible. Because I'm a lua coder and that could help me with making some NextBot NPCs when you release the models. Best of luck and hope to see this soon. :D 8) P.S. I will only use these models if you give me permission to use them when they are released.
I haven't gotten to the NPC models yet but when I do I will be porting animations as well.

Tesseron wrote:
I haven't gotten to the NPC models yet but when I do I will be porting animations as well.
Ok, I have 2 questions. 1. Will this be uploaded to the workshop (I know a stupid question to ask but just to make sure.) 2. Will you give me permission to use these models for me to make them into Nextbot NPCs when they are released?
I know you, but you don't know me.
I see you. Don't believe me?
Here is some proof:

==================
| You are viewing my post |
==================

Mr. Guy wrote:
Spoiler
Ok, I have 2 questions. 1. Will this be uploaded to the workshop (I know a stupid question to ask but just to make sure.) 2. Will you give me permission to use these models for me to make them into Nextbot NPCs when they are released?
It will first be released on this thread via a mediafire link then onto the workshop sometime after. If you want to make npcs when it's released then go right ahead :).