Re: Now that v1.3 is out...

AveryLP wrote:
Vane Brain wrote:
SyphenTV wrote:
Already have, no improvement. I have to say though, Juan's FastExt/Txt removal did a MIRACLE. Rocking 13 FPS with the main game, I got around 70-80 FPS with Juan's version.
Well there is a news for you: we will use Juanjpro-senpai's FastExt/Text removal for 1.3.1
What about bumpmapping then?
Without bump mapping, the texture will not have the shining effect.
Well... it will go paired with 1074

Would you rather have a stable game or a "shiny" one (specularity didn't work btw)? The bump mapping didn't even look that good (it was straight up incorrect on the NPC models). It's a shame that Reg paid for something that turned out to be really broken, but there's not much that can be done at this point.

Besides, it could come back with a modified version of Blitz3D now that it's open source, we just need someone that can figure out how DirectX 7 works.
Last edited by juanjp600 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juanjpro wrote:Would you rather have a stable game or a shiny one? It didn't even look that good. It's a shame that Reg paid for something that turned out to be really broken, but there's not much that can be done at this point.

Besides, it could come back with a modified version of Blitz3D now that it's open source, we just need someone that can figure out how DirectX 7 works.
Stability is of course important.
Hopefully, a good alternative can be found for this.
Playing SCP : Containment Breach since v0.6.5.

My favorite SCP's: Pretty much all of them

CommanderMark wrote:
AveryLP wrote:Without bump mapping, the texture will not have the shining effect.
Bump mapping doesn't create specularity. It indents parts of textures to make them look more realistic (for instance, bumping tiles on floors so they are higher then the filling between them).
That's what I meant with "shining effect"

AveryLP wrote:
CommanderMark wrote:
AveryLP wrote:Without bump mapping, the texture will not have the shining effect.
Bump mapping doesn't create specularity. It indents parts of textures to make them look more realistic (for instance, bumping tiles on floors so they are higher then the filling between them).
When does a bump ever classify as a "shining effect". It's not even a real bump either, to be honest, it's more or less just a fake bump.

Also, why are you so heartbroken that bump mapping's gone? it looked like shit anyway.

SyphenTV wrote:
AveryLP wrote:
CommanderMark wrote: Bump mapping doesn't create specularity. It indents parts of textures to make them look more realistic (for instance, bumping tiles on floors so they are higher then the filling between them).
When does a bump ever classify as a "shining effect". It's not even a real bump either, to be honest, it's more or less just a fake bump.

Also, why are you so heartbroken that bump mapping's gone? it looked like shit anyway.
The bump mapping in my opinion added to the detail of the facility.
I do hope that a better version of it might be reimplemented eventually. (If someone, as stated earlier, learns to use Direct X 7)

juanjpro wrote:Besides, it could come back with a modified version of Blitz3D now that it's open source, we just need someone that can figure out how DirectX 7 works.
AveryLP wrote:(If someone, as stated earlier, learns to use Direct X 7)
Wouldn't it be possible for someone to port it to OpenGL? actually on second thought that sounds hard
aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cpbald wrote:Wouldn't it be possible for someone to port it to OpenGL? actually on second thought that sounds hard
That'd actually be a good idea. OpenGL works far better than DirectX 7.
Unfortunately I probably won't go through the time and effort to do this, because it is pretty hard to do right.

When I turned off bump-mapping to see what it would be like, the game was darker than when I turned bump mapping on. (Nevermind this part, I tried juanjpro's NoFastExt and the lighing is fine)
It seems like that most lights only reach the ground when bump-mapping is turned on, hopefully that will be fixed in 1.3.1

Another idea could be to make bump mapping a seperate download for people who want it, so that it is optional.
Last edited by AveryLP on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.