Re: Turning the lights back on

If you were able to turn on the primary lighting, you'd need two lightmaps for all rooms in the game, and that'd kick up the filesize overall around 80MB, which sounds pretty insane for something that isn't necessary in the last arc of the game. It makes sense, since the Primary Lighting is an option in the electrical room, but there should be some sort of complication that prevents you from doing so. I don't see the office area being very scary at all it's as bright as the intro sequence.

Also, WillWow, make sure to check the date of threads you're posting in, note that this one was over a year old, I'll keep it open since it's a topic that can still be discussed to an extent.
It slep time bunner.

If the player went to a certain point in the facility, maybe SCP-079 or something could knock the primary lighting out, making the facility scarier and more difficult, as in scarier music, ambience, more horrid events, monsters showing up more often, etc. This'll all happen until the player goes to the control room to switch the primary lights back on. There could also be lighting & remote door control switches in the maintenance tunnels.
SCP: Containment Breach can NEVER be too scary!
We must make it scarier!

But SugarLumpy-

SCARIER!!

Guys, the reason the primary lighting doesn't work is because that's what failed in the intro sequence. The secondary lighting came on after 173 dissapeared from the containment chamber. There isn't actually "lighting" in the game. The pre-breach section has a completely different set of models. When the secondary lighting comes on, you're teleported to the "dark" models.

I actually have an idea. What if the player had to replace a fuse in the maintenance tunnels, like previously stated, but SCP-079 would have total control over them. At any given second, The Old AI could turn on/off the primary lighting once the player has fixed it. Could be used as a warning or at bad times. 079 could dim the primary lights, leaving only the old secondary lights, whenever the player encounters 096, 106, 049 or 173, however, the lights would become brighter when encountering MTF
Please, I know what to do. I've done this hundreds of times... Oops.

...I just want the lighting in the place to make sense. imo they don't. I like the darkness for atmospheric effect, but the light sources work really oddly and don't make sense to me.

As for managing to get the primary lighting back to working, yeah I guess I'm okay with that idea. I think it kind of destroys part of the atmosphere in the game, though. :\ Even with the MTF and SCPs becoming more hostile since they can see you or whatever, imo if the atmosphere just isn't there, it just isn't there. It might be able to work, but also might not.

Omniary wrote:If you were able to turn on the primary lighting, you'd need two lightmaps for all rooms in the game, and that'd kick up the filesize overall around 80MB, which sounds pretty insane for something that isn't necessary in the last arc of the game. It makes sense, since the Primary Lighting is an option in the electrical room, but there should be some sort of complication that prevents you from doing so. I don't see the office area being very scary at all it's as bright as the intro sequence.

Also, WillWow, make sure to check the date of threads you're posting in, note that this one was over a year old, I'll keep it open since it's a topic that can still be discussed to an extent.
You could have an automated system to increase the brightness of the room, after loading the lightmaps for shading.
My YouTube account: https://www.youtube.com/user/BoltBarkingatthemoon
I know my avatar isn't exactly 'creative'. It's mostly so bronies can identify it but non-bronies have no idea.