Re: SCP-860 implementation list + discussion

Moonsaber wrote:Im glad to hear that you got your computer back Miro. If there is anything you guys need tell me. However it might be hard to find time but I will try.
Thanks bro (;

Nah, nothing in particular right now -- because I think I am going to pour all my energy into the Unity conversion actually and therefore make some higher quality models.

Perhaps we should do a minecraft technique of building the Unity version as a MULTIPLAYER game, but singleplayer is simply one person playing in a personal local lobby. 8)

I've got a simple idea for one of the more long-term things in regards to how to get the player to loop back to the path if they go too far sideways.

You could simply have an event when they enter one of the furthest tiles, or travel too far from the path that occurs either when they blink, or forces them to blink, and while they are blinded they are teleported to a similar/identical tile on the other side of the path. Should help to keep the immersion and not let them notice a teleport, while still making it seem like they looped back around. Most people wouldn't notice right away, but sub-consciously it'd be very unsettling when things are clearly moved around.

It'd need to be an identical tile that isn't also a teleport location on the other side so they aren't stuck in an infinite teleport every time they blink. That'd just be disorienting. I think it should actually teleport nice and far away from other teleport locations, and it shouldn't break too much immersion if they teleport and are immediately close enough to see the path. Actually that should be super creepy and awesome.

if you're also planning to have the forest change when players do this (path shifts in shape/size/texture/forks - trees change in type/move around), you could just have multiple instances generated, randomized by the seed. Every time you enter a teleport area it will pull you to a random instance (including potentially the one you're already in). This should prevent bugs/glitches caused by just having a single forest instance that actively changes.

Having stuff just suddenly change on blinking would totally contribute to the totally unsettling horror in the game, and it solves your looping problem. In relation to 860-2 (should you use the multiple forest levels idea), you could simply have it teleport to that same instance when the player does. Preferably not too close to the player.

Lios wrote:I've got a simple idea for one of the more long-term things in regards to how to get the player to loop back to the path if they go too far sideways.

You could simply have an event when they enter one of the furthest tiles, or travel too far from the path that occurs either when they blink, or forces them to blink, and while they are blinded they are teleported to a similar/identical tile on the other side of the path. Should help to keep the immersion and not let them notice a teleport, while still making it seem like they looped back around. Most people wouldn't notice right away, but sub-consciously it'd be very unsettling when things are clearly moved around.

It'd need to be an identical tile that isn't also a teleport location on the other side so they aren't stuck in an infinite teleport every time they blink. That'd just be disorienting. I think it should actually teleport nice and far away from other teleport locations, and it shouldn't break too much immersion if they teleport and are immediately close enough to see the path. Actually that should be super creepy and awesome.

if you're also planning to have the forest change when players do this (path shifts in shape/size/texture/forks - trees change in type/move around), you could just have multiple instances generated, randomized by the seed. Every time you enter a teleport area it will pull you to a random instance (including potentially the one you're already in). This should prevent bugs/glitches caused by just having a single forest instance that actively changes.

Having stuff just suddenly change on blinking would totally contribute to the totally unsettling horror in the game, and it solves your looping problem. In relation to 860-2 (should you use the multiple forest levels idea), you could simply have it teleport to that same instance when the player does. Preferably not too close to the player.
So in essence, the kind of thing SCP-106 does sometimes, when you travel down one of the hallways in its Pocket Dimension?
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

I think a cool sound for the monster would be the sound of a lone wolf - maybe it's cliche, but just imagine walking through the woods and hearing the innocent wolf howl, realizing that it is probably not a wolf and running the hell for your life. I think this would be more effective in creating psychological terror than an aggressive, typical lion-like roar. Atmosphere over jump scares, right? :D
"Yes, it's a goddamn nuke, but if 682 survives and adapts we'd be boned beyond belief."

I have always imagined an encounter with monster going like this. Your walking along the forest path every now and then you see movement among the foliage, or its glowing eyes flickering out of sight. As you go deeper within the forest you start to hear sounds growling or whispering the frequency of monster sightings increase dramatically and suddenly stop. Nothing happens for a long time but you can still hear it. Sometimes when your walking you start to hear the sound of footsteps trying to be in time with yours. You turn around another flicker of movement and a glimpse of the beasts eyes and its gone. You can see the exit but the beast is closing in on its prey. Your eyes dart around desperately trying to keep track of the monster but whenever you look at it it just disappears into the shadows. Its getting closer but you are almost at the exit. Depending on whether or not you "win" or "fail" you ether escape or your last sight is that of the beasts glowing eyes and daggerlike claws. Anyways that how I always imaged the encounter going.
Email me at [email protected] if you need art done.

juanjpro wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?hxb73fdgh3hc1z8

A render-to-texture example using FastExt, you can include "DrawPortals.bb" in SCP-CB to add visual portals to the game. This could be used for the door to the forest.
Spoiler
Wow! Awesome! Thanks so much :D

The only problem I face now is actually that 860's main programmer (monoclebios) no longer has access to the source code to continue updating the scp-860 implementation. (At least until December). Here is the latest version of the 860 project, it probably still needs to be updated to 0.8.2 as well. Lot of work, still many things to do.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dzc9a6v7slq4jzm Latest version

I've been considering perhaps just putting my energy rather into working on the Unity conversion instead.. I would much rather prefer the game on Unity (More platform access, less MAV errors, better graphics, etc).