SCP-860 implementation list + discussion

Updated 12/20/2013
SCP-860 has been confirmed as being added for almost two years now but with little to no progress. (Perhaps it's dangerous memetic effects seeping into our mere mortal lives..).

Here's the list of the basics of what's needed for first implementation; of what is done and needs to be done (whatever is red is unfinished):

Models/Textures/Animations:
-SCP-860 (the blue key)

-SCP-860-1 (the forest)
*Need more tree bending/variation models
*Concrete wall still TBD
*Door implementation TBD
*Find out how the hell to make the forest loop when traveled sideways? (Currently 125*25 L-W) Maybe a visual portal at the edge that teleports the player to appropriate area?
*Dynamic fog changing with monster aggro and timers based on player staying in forest for extended periods.

// *Tiles randomly changing // The path disappearing when straying too far away from it.
//*Tile elevation implementation (?) [For hills, shallow ravines, etc]. ---- Scrapped for later builds; not a priority atm.

Mapping:
-SCP-860 testing room

Okay, JuanJPro did a room of it (thanks man) -- Just need to combine that with the source code of the forest build.
*Here is a Ghetto sketch I made in paint illustrating my idea of it:
Spoiler
-A spawn room for the key -SEE ABOVE
*perhaps in the same Safe Item containment room as SCP-714 and SCP-1025 (?)

Programming:
-SCP-860 (The key)
*needs to be programmed as an item spawned in it's respective cell and usable by the player to use on the testing door to open it up.

-The testing door
*needs to be programmed as a locked door that cannot be opened by the player unless SCP-860 is used on it, upon which it shall open to reveal a visual portal to the SCP-860 area, or a fully opaque wall of blue fog, upon which the player touching will blind them momentarily and teleport them forcefully into the forest; the door slamming shut behind them before they are enabled to move once again.

-SCP-860-2 (The Forest Monster)
*AI is still undecided as of yet. Just simply spawning randomly after a timer in the forest and sneaking up on the player for the kill (?)

MTF reaction to SCP-860
*ItsDuke recorded lines for the MTF in SCP-860 here:
https://soundcloud.com/itsduke/scp-860-lines (probably best to pitch this sound file over to Regalis, as he usually handles the static/distortion sound effects associated with the MTF lines)

*If the MTF find the key randomly somewhere in the facility, they'll capture it and the player may no longer use it. (?)
*Should the MTF enter SCP-860's testing room and see it's in use by the player and thus irretrievable, the radio will play the sound of the MTF discussing somebody using SCP-860.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot still TBD, but any attempts (however minor) are appreciated!
Finished assets should be pitched to MonocleBios on the forum, as he is currently handling SCP-860 related programming right now. Although we are both very busy at most times.

(Mods feel free to please edit my post if something changes..)
Last edited by Mirocaine on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Re: SCP-860 implementation list + discussion

Looking at everything you posted has given me a real sense of how challenging 860 is on many levels. I'm still sad that you can't work on it right now but I am happy that the work still goes on for the sake of the game. I'm glad to see that there has been a huge amount of progress on 860. We'll have to see how it fits into the new facility design Regalis is currently working on.

Mirocaine wrote:SCP-860 has been confirmed as being added for almost an entire year now, but with little to no progress. Right now were almost capable of having it ready for update 0.7 possibly at this rate, but some things are still required for it's first releasable version. Recently my PC kicked rocks on me so I cannot continue finishing a few more things for the forest, but I'm releasing my largely unfinished model pack here:

The Monster (Textures, .blend, paint.net texturing file, etc):
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zclhxzp3w0x8zgc

The Forest (Tree's, rocks, testing door model, etc):
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yoo3xuaftjtg3rw

Everyone is free to use them (even for they're own games) and modify them at they're will. Just please credit me is all I ask. :oops:

Here's the list of the basics of what's needed for first implementation; of what is done and needs to be done (whatever is underlined is unfinished):

Models/Textures/Animations:
-SCP-860 (the blue key)
-SCP-860-2 (the forest monster)
*Still needs texturing finished
*Rig needed
*Animations needed

-SCP-860-1 (the forest)
*Trees in the model pack still need planes at they're top with a suitable transparent leaf texture/s that make it looks nice and still remain quite low-poly (Under 300 polys).
*Need more tree bending/variation, can be easily modified in the base_tree.blend file..
*Need more debris/flora models for variation (rocks, grass, sticks, twigs, etc)

-The testing door
*Diffuse color may need to be changed still to get a less 'stained/finished wood' color
*Needs a new model of it with SCP-860 in it's lock for when the player uses the key on it
*Needs an opening animation of it swinging 90 degrees open, may require some more faces on the inside for this..

Mapping:
-SCP-860 testing room
*Here is a Ghetto sketch I made in paint illustrating my idea of it:

*Since all the forest tiles/props are handled by any 3D application now (as long as they're exported to the proper format) we still need a testing room for the key; 3D world studio seems to be the preferable program for use in creating Blitz3D compatible map bits. (Costs money to be able to purchase the full version to save things though).

-A spawn room for the key
*perhaps in the same Safe Item containment room as SCP-714 and SCP-1025 (?)

Programming:
-SCP-860 (The key)
*needs to be programmed as an item spawned in it's respective cell and usable by the player to use on the testing door to open it up.

-The testing door
*needs to be programmed as a locked door that cannot be opened by the player unless SCP-860 is used on it, upon which it shall open to reveal a visual portal to the SCP-860 area, or a fully opaque wall of blue fog, upon which the player touching will blind them momentarily and teleport them forcefully into the forest; the door slamming shut behind them before they are enabled to move once again.

-SCP-860-2 (The Forest Monster)
*AI is still undecided as of yet. Just simply spawning randomly after a timer in the forest and sneaking up on the player for the kill (?)

-MTF reaction to SCP-860
*ItsDuke recorded lines for the MTF in SCP-860 here:

*If the MTF find the key randomly somewhere in the facility, they'll capture it and the player may no longer use it.
*Should the MTF enter SCP-860's testing room and see it's in use by the player and thus irretrievable, the radio will play the sound of the MTF discussing somebody using SCP-860

(I'll finish writing this up later, a bit busy right now ;) )
your mod dosen't work :(
This profile's been around for nearly eight years

RIP

(last edited 10/09/2020)

MonocleBios wrote:I optimized the tile generation a bit. Upon creation of the room (13*25) tiles are generated, further tiles are generated while the player progresses through the level.

I've tested with the enhanced gas mask, on my computer the tiles are generated roughly twice as fast as the player can sprint.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6bwelpjdhn7j1p0
there's bugs when i enter the forest
This profile's been around for nearly eight years

RIP

(last edited 10/09/2020)