Re: Lightmap optimization

Irontaco wrote:I can kinda notice some brightness or contrast change in the doors. Kinda, other than that, not much.

Doesn't image compression usually cause side effects?
It seems it does, it's kinda strange because the lighting effects don't work that way, right? I mean they are not dynamic.
Princess Luna wrote:I like the before image better. The after looks too bright to me.
The after image shows a bug.
SCP classified documents
SCP-895 Containment chamber modification
D-9341 memoirs
Old topics of interest

When the lights are baked into lightmaps they do give you a different result from the 'dynamic' lights. Also, the lightmaps here are direct and the result is not worth it, it just probably gives you a tiny memory boost and makes it look a tiny bit better.
Irontaco wrote:Doesn't image compression usually cause side effects?
Edit: lol thought you said something else... *facepalm2me*
Last edited by Abincyprus on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I can't seem to replicate that brightness bug, every time I test it, it looks the same. And if it's really caused by the conversion tool, why do the guards and doors look brighter?
Irontaco wrote:Doesn't image compression usually cause side effects?
PNG is lossless, so there shouldn't be any side effects.

juanjpro wrote:PNG is lossless, so there shouldn't be any side effects.
Irontaco it's like comparing an .ogg file to a .mp3 file, they are both sound but one stores all the waves while one trims to the hear able frequencies.
They are slightly different, but they are both sound.

I like this pack!!

You know why? Because, with this pack, I have more image per second!
Besides it is logical, because he useless heavy images, thus the game will not have has supporter of the heavy images.

But he will be compatible with 1.0.0 of SCP Containment Breach?
"My grammar is bad because I am French... Yeah I makes progress ohhhhh !!!"
La théorie de la vie est : Merguez + Patate = my live is potato ...

InTheNight wrote:I like this pack!!

You know why? Because, with this pack, I have more image per second!
Besides it is logical, because he useless heavy images, thus the game will not have has supporter of the heavy images.

But he will be compatible with 1.0.0 of SCP Containment Breach?
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think textures are decompressed before they're loaded into GPU memory, so this shouldn't have any effect on in-game performance.

The amount of disk space this saves is significant though, so I think I'll add this in v1.0.