Re: SCP-689?

Maybe you could come across is chamber from a hallway, when you approach an MTF/Scientist backs out slowly and would be staring into the open door, if you get close to him he would turn to you and die and 689 would spawn on top of his body and effect you, if you had 714 on you could pass through and get past.
That would be creepi-licious! But not a scientist. Instead, a janitor. After all, they're the post-breach disposable NPCs. The first room with the gas mask, The endroom with 106..
I Survived SCP-106's Pocket Dimension And All I Got Was This Stupid ID Card

I'm pretty sure this should be kind of obvious. Gameplay with SCP-689 will suck.

Either way you step up to base with SCP-689, you're gonna strike out. It's just too overpowered (689 op pls nerf) and uninteresting to make a unique impact on the game. Really now, what possible outcome can this SCP give you when seeing it in-game? Is there really any question of it? You're gonna die either way. I think Regalis chose not to implement it for a reason, because it's a poor use of the vision mechanics. Just my two cents though.
It slep time bunner.

SCP-Sean wrote:I had an idea for it's better purpose. making a death trap so you can lure the dumb MTFs :MTF2: to the room and they die from the 'curse' (thats what im calling it now) of 689.
Except the MTF would probably know enough about it to not go in there.
ERIC IS LOVE, ERIC IS LIFE.

Omniary wrote:I'm pretty sure this should be kind of obvious. Gameplay with SCP-689 will suck.

Either way you step up to base with SCP-689, you're gonna strike out. It's just too overpowered (689 op pls nerf) and uninteresting to make a unique impact on the game. Really now, what possible outcome can this SCP give you when seeing it in-game? Is there really any question of it? You're gonna die either way. I think Regalis chose not to implement it for a reason, because it's a poor use of the vision mechanics. Just my two cents though.
I disagree.
BachBreaker wrote:I talked with Regalis some time ago about this via PM. Actually I agree with the implementation of this SCP to the game. In fact I suggested the same idea which you gave about SCP-714, but with a little variation: Okay, let's see. SCP-689 kills you in the moment you look at it and then look away. My suggestion was that if you use SCP-714 before looking at SCP-689 and then you look at SCP-689 it won't mark you as a target because you're using SCP-714. Because SCP-689 marks you as a target in a non-physical way and as we all know SCP-714 blocks non-physical effects from other SCPs.
The gameplay mechanics doesn't need to be complicated to add to this SCP. It's almost the same with SCP-173. If you look away from it, it will kill you.
Lusor1111 wrote:Also, 724 does not work with this kind of scp. It would kill you anyway, no matter if you are wearing it.
I'd like to know where did you get that info.
SCP classified documents
SCP-895 Containment chamber modification
D-9341 memoirs
Old topics of interest

Personally, I think that unless a way to protect yourself from 689 is found then I believe that it should only be added to the game as a cameo, like 682. It probably should only show up on the loading screens.
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!

Brunou8 wrote:
Omniary wrote:I'm pretty sure this should be kind of obvious. Gameplay with SCP-689 will suck.

I disagree.
I gladly respect your opinion, but I'm just stuck wondering: why?

It's a statue that kills you when you look at it and then look away, instantly. That's probably the least innovative use of the vision mechanics I could think of. 096 on the other hand forces you to make sure you're careful when around it, you have to look about cautiously and if you do trigger it, you can still try to make a break for it, for your amusement (or horror more typically). On the other hand, this just kills you if you even see the tiniest smidge of it. This might literally just become another 012 if it were to be added. Just because an SCP can get added to the game easily doesn't always mean it should.

Brunou8 wrote:It's almost the same with SCP-173. If you look away from it, it will kill you.
Except 173 doesn't kill you if you do as much as see it.
Brunou8 wrote:
Lusor1111 wrote:Also, 724 does not work with this kind of scp. It would kill you anyway, no matter if you are wearing it.
The notion that SCP-714 protects against all mind-based SCPs is false. It purely protects against memetic hazards, which are by nature cognitohazards, but doesn't necessarily protect against cognitohazards themselves. I'm pretty sure that 689 would still kill you.
Akatos wrote:After all, the player don't have to enter it's chamber, so it wouldn't be that overpowered.
Yeah, just useless.
Akatos wrote:Look at 1025, 012 and 895. They all are pointless and can kill you if you come to close.
But then again I don't people think many people like 1025, 012 or 895, they're not exactly very good role models.

I hate posting big rants, but yeah, this kinda bugged me, suffice to say. :035:
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:
Brunou8 wrote:
The notion that SCP-714 protects against all mind-based SCPs is false. It purely protects against memetic hazards, which are by nature cognitohazards, but doesn't necessarily protect against cognitohazards themselves. I'm pretty sure that 689 would still kill you.
I actually wonder if people bother to read 714 effect on the scp wiki, here is the relevant information:
4) Mental 'Shield'
As a dubious "benefit" of seemingly reduced mental capacity, wearers of SCP-714 show abnormally high resilience to memetic and mental influences, particularly commands or immediate effects. Weaker memetic influences may be totally nullified by this. In both cases, the wearer feels a strong and instinctive fear of the source of the influence; this fear drives them to immediately seek 'shelter' by any means available, potentially by attempting to destroy the source. This 'shielding' lasts only for as long as SCP-714 is worn.

They are still at significant risk if exposed to any memetic influences that do not take immediate effect. Exposure to such influences should be handled as normal for the source in question, as the degree of 'protection' afforded by SCP-714 has yet to be fully documented.

In addition, 'normal' images and sounds that would cause revulsion, nausea, etc. simply due to shocking or disturbing content have next to no effect on the wearer of SCP-714. The wearer will not even recall seeing them once SCP-714 is removed. Mundane persuasion (such as motivational speeches) has no effect, regardless of the speaker's skill and charisma.
It protects you from inmediate effect memes, weak to medium mental influences and manipulation and persuasion, anomalous or not.
God is perfect -> Nobody is perfect -> I'm nobody --> I'm perfect --> I'm God.

This is just my opinion but I think that 689 should be classed as an infohazard rather than a cognitohazard, or should be classed as neither. It is already labeled as an Observational effect and I think that that is sufficient to describe it. (This is by my definition of the terms, which are probably different than yours. By my definition, an infohazard is an effect that is triggered by knowing something or thinking about something, but does NOT effect your ability to think clearly, or if it does, it does it in an indirect method. A cognitohazard by my definition is an effect that directly harms your ability to think properly and is triggered by perception or awareness of something. This is what I think the majority of people believe when they use the terms, though there are some exceptions.)

By the way, not all memetic Hazards are Cognitohazards or even Mind-Effecting although most of them are. Some of them are infohazards or only effect the mind more indirectly.
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!