Re: SCP-689?

Omniary wrote:Cognitohazards are threats which are triggered through senses, in this case being sight, the article is even listed with the tag cognitohazard.
I looked up the definitions for them and actually it looks like you are right. But I think that even with the definitions that the website gives not all of the SCPs that use these terms quite follow them. It might be because they redefined the terms at some point or just that not all authors follow these exact definitions, using them more as guidelines then exact rules. There are several infohazards that probably should be classed as cognitohazards if you follow the exact definitions.
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!

Does it teleport on top of the person wherever he is? So you can be in a different room, see it on cam and then look away and it appears on you? I think the chamber should be designed for the player to be able to take cover from it, if it doesn't.

Lusor1111 wrote:It protects you from inmediate effect memes, weak to medium mental influences and manipulation and persuasion, anomalous or not.
lol But all you do with this argument is to strengthen my suggestion.
Omniary wrote:I gladly respect your opinion, but I'm just stuck wondering: why?

It's a statue that kills you when you look at it and then look away, instantly. That's probably the least innovative use of the vision mechanics I could think of. 096 on the other hand forces you to make sure you're careful when around it, you have to look about cautiously and if you do trigger it, you can still try to make a break for it, for your amusement (or horror more typically). On the other hand, this just kills you if you even see the tiniest smidge of it. This might literally just become another 012 if it were to be added. Just because an SCP can get added to the game easily doesn't always mean it should.
Now I have a question: why?

If there is the possibility to do so, if it is easy to implement, if the gameplay is simple (although that seems to be what bothers you about this SCP). Honestly I do not see a real reason for this SCP to not be included to the game.

Let's see. The problem is that the gameplay is very simple. What if we make the gameplay more complicated then? Weo could add something like...
Spoiler
Sonar goggles! Although the capacity of this appliance may not be enough for the width of the walls of the facility. Perhaps a larger artifact. Consist of something that sends sound waves in all directions to see everything everywhere, objects, people, etc.. The time between each wave would be 1.2 seconds. With this device you would not be seeing SCP-689.

[youtube]/watch?v=Rgcjmdq7CtU[/youtube]
Omniary wrote:The notion that SCP-714 protects against all mind-based SCPs is false. It purely protects against memetic hazards, which are by nature cognitohazards, but doesn't necessarily protect against cognitohazards themselves. I'm pretty sure that 689 would still kill you.
Ok, as you said there is still the possibility that SCP-714 protects you from SCP-689. The words "necessarily" and "would" indicate it :3.
SCP classified documents
SCP-895 Containment chamber modification
D-9341 memoirs
Old topics of interest

Brunou8 wrote:If there is the possibility to do so, if it is easy to implement
Just because an SCP in easy to implement doesn't mean it should get added.

The game already has enough 'Walk up to it/look at it and die.' SCPs, there's no reason to add another.

Brunou8 wrote:
Lusor1111 wrote:It protects you from inmediate effect memes, weak to medium mental influences and manipulation and persuasion, anomalous or not.
So because I posted the information of the article which explicitely stated that 714 only worked with compulsions and inmediate effect memes(which this is not) I stregthened your suggestion?

Please elavorate, because I really want to know how something which dissapears and reappeard through walls and can cause the rupture of all your organs can be resisted with the usage of a item which protect you from mind alteriong chemicals and other external manipulation of your brain and thoughts through the lowering of your mental capacity. I'm honestly interested in which theories you have built to support this suggestion of yours, and waiting with anticipation to see which part of the articles are you going to use to base your opinions.
God is perfect -> Nobody is perfect -> I'm nobody --> I'm perfect --> I'm God.

Lusor1111 wrote:
Brunou8 wrote:
So because I posted the information of the article which explicitely stated that 714 only worked with compulsions and inmediate effect memes(which this is not) I stregthened your suggestion?

Please elavorate, because I really want to know how something which dissapears and reappeard through walls and can cause the rupture of all your organs can be resisted with the usage of a item which protect you from mind alteriong chemicals and other external manipulation of your brain and thoughts through the lowering of your mental capacity. I'm honestly interested in which theories you have built to support this suggestion of yours, and waiting with anticipation to see which part of the articles are you going to use to base your opinions.
I love how you try to use proper grammar, but fail. Anyways, this SCP is useless to me, it's like being surrounded on all four corners with guns in your faces and you have two options in which both of them lead to death, you can't win.
I lost weight just by running up and down the stairs...

I think 689 should be added IF there was a type of 'hand-off' mechanic, but currently as there is only one player I don't foresee it ever being added.

Tl;DR It's probably never going to be added with any reason, if it IS added

well everything is a matter of keeping trying long enough. It's good to see that my efforts are appreciated even if just because it seems funny for those who have better knowlege of grammar than me. Always posting just as I wake up of late at night doesn't help either, but I will probably make mistakes anyway. Don't be shy pointing out my mistakes, it's always good to know what i did wrong and why, so I can try to not make the same mistake again.

also yes, the object is more or less useless and fairly uninteresting, but I'm all for having more objects will always contribute to the game, I just wish they chose something less instadeath and something more weird. There are lot of simple scp which could more or less be added and be interesting to look at or to interact even if they are useless. But somehow the instadeath useless scp are always prefered over those. Or helpful ones are. We are in serious lack of just wtf-weird scp objects, which is a good deal of the 2000+ scp articles.

Actually I have no problem with this kind of scp if they are like 012, fully optional, uninportant and with the document right before you have the chance to enter it's chamber and see it. The site is supposed to have hundeds of scp objects after all.
God is perfect -> Nobody is perfect -> I'm nobody --> I'm perfect --> I'm God.

Lusor1111 wrote:well everything is a matter of keeping trying long enough. It's good to see that my efforts are appreciated even if just because it seems funny for those who have better knowlege of grammar than me. Always posting just as I wake up of late at night doesn't help either, but I will probably make mistakes anyway. Don't be shy pointing out my mistakes, it's always good to know what i did wrong and why, so I can try to not make the same mistake again.

also yes, the object is more or less useless and fairly uninteresting, but I'm all for having more objects will always contribute to the game, I just wish they chose something less instadeath and something more weird. There are lot of simple scp which could more or less be added and be interesting to look at or to interact even if they are useless. But somehow the instadeath useless scp are always prefered over those. Or helpful ones are. We are in serious lack of just wtf-weird scp objects, which is a good deal of the 2000+ scp articles.

Actually I have no problem with this kind of scp if they are like 012, fully optional, uninportant and with the document right before you have the chance to enter it's chamber and see it. The site is supposed to have hundeds of scp objects after all.
Agreed, although i think that adding ones that effect gameplay should be the priority right now
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!