Re: SCP 682 Model

Night wrote:That's alright (srsly), I don't like the reasons you gave to back up that opinion though.
I should start of by saying that I don't understand your grudge at all unless you're the person who wrote the article about 682.
First off, you should have read what I wrote, there will be two models, one is this, the undamaged one, and the second one is the damaged with all the eyes, limbs, and shit like that which you take fancy to, so hopefully that makes you happier.
Secondly, you can't argue the whole "ability to adapt" thing, you could assume so many things about what it entails and what it is dependent on that it's useless, you could literally make up whatever you want with it.
So you go from telling me that it shouldn't look like something in real life, that would not work in real life; to that it doesn't make sense to make its head like it is now because of its flesh disintegrating and the ability to adapt? Do you see what's wrong with that? And who's to say 682 even has flesh on its face, or for that matter, its whole body?
And as I mentioned the ability to adapt argument can't be applied; I can just say that the ability to adapt, with the information given (and tell me if there's something I missed of course),
Spoiler
(from the article:"SCP-682's physical body grows and changes very quickly, growing or decreasing in size at it consumes or sheds material." and "SCP-682 rapidly regenerates damage, and moves to a different wall, developing several sets of eyes on various parts of its body, many covered by thick, clear “caps” of armored carapace.")
modifies the existing bodily structure quickly and accordingly to the situation at present which has affected its body in a certain way, this would not mean any abnormal tumor like additions to its body like random limbs and retarded proportions, but rather something that would work in real life and would make sense anatomically, or to put it a bit differently and a little inaccurately (in terms of evolution) - 682 controlled self evolution with accelerated speed ; in which case you could say that its face wouldn't have changed after the incident had happened because there wouldn't be any reason for it (you're also loosely making some time references which I don't have a clue about :right: "I think that by now it probably looks. . .").
Heck, you want an even more overboard example which is not in my favour in any way at all? It could mean that 682 would look like anything imaginable, it could look like a car, it could look like a flower, it could look like everything that you see when you type in "scp 682" into google images; my point being, it could look like everything. Where and how do you make the distinction of where the limit to its adaptability ends?
Funnily enough, without that second paragraph in the additional text given about 682 (the experiment log), you could interpret it like: "682 will get fatter if it eats more, and will get skinnier if it eats less very quickly" if you wanted.
Regardless of that though, the whole point in this build is that it makes sense to a certain degree, it's something that more than likely would work in real life; unlike you're oversimplified view of it which is "it looks out of this world durr hurr".
Wtf do you mean by looking too much like a "natural animal"? Do you think that aliens (even tho 682 could be from earth, which I should have addressed earlier but forgot) wouldn't look "natural"? That they would have a structure that would make sense for them to actually be considered somehow unnatural? Whatever that means.
I don't understand why make it look all fucked up and ugly anyway.. is it just for the sake of making it look cool? I mean, I'm fine with that and all, but I'd rather it be backed up by some rules that apply in the real world.

Sorry if I didn't read everything you wrote. I only really looked at the pictures. It has been a while since I have been on this forum so I don't know. But still this doesn't fit with my image of what 682 would ever look like. My biggest problem is that it looks too much like a dinosaur and I think that that makes it less scary. You really should not design it's appearance off of a real animal unless you make it very and disturbingly clear that it is not just that animal. When I see the current model I think "Its just a dinosaur. What is a dinosaur doing in this game?"
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!

Wait, you did not try to grasp Night's thought process on this model and simply went from pictures only? And then you outright snap at him.
I was surprised at Night being more harsh than usual but now I understand it more clearly.

While I simply have to say the current model is just not the direction I have liked, I do understand where he was going with this. And his abilities are as amazing as ever.
But cursing him out for it is not the way to go dude. While I do agree with your statement of 682 looking too... dinosaur/raptor like though. I really do.

And to throw in a little something at the end "It's a perfectly nice-looking dinosaur, but it's a rather uninspired 682"
My Youtube Account: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSerimah

Ugh, you guys missed the 2nd model plan or? :doubt:

At its current state, I obviously have to agree with anyone who says it looks like a dinosaur, and perhaps I should've done a concept art picture to show what it was supposed to look like in my mind, currently the closest I can get to what was in my head is the emoticon of 682 I made for the forum :682:

You have to understand that it's still very early on WIP, it misses a lot of the things that would make a model shine, these being normal maps, specular maps (hopefully those will work on blitz3d), textures and most importantly the hair/fur thingy.

I just had a shower right now, so yeah, I'm going to sleep. But tomorrow I'll draw a picture of what I imagined 682 like so you could have a clearer picture.
Some quick links for myself (and you all too).
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Nah, Night. I saw your plans on the alternate model but of course I can't have an opinion on it before seeing it. Only going from what I saw so far.
I guess I'm not used to seeing early WIP very often so I was probably too harsh on my views. Considering your design for 096 taking shape differentely back in the days ;)
(Otherwise I would have most likely complained at that too back then? Who knows.)

Just very happy you see it as we currently see it. A dinosaur. But it makes me very eager to see what you have planned for the alternate look. You always manage to amaze me :D

Serimah wrote:Wait, you did not try to grasp Night's thought process on this model and simply went from pictures only? And then you outright snap at him.
I was surprised at Night being more harsh than usual but now I understand it more clearly.

While I simply have to say the current model is just not the direction I have liked, I do understand where he was going with this. And his abilities are as amazing as ever.
But cursing him out for it is not the way to go dude. While I do agree with your statement of 682 looking too... dinosaur/raptor like though. I really do.

And to throw in a little something at the end "It's a perfectly nice-looking dinosaur, but it's a rather uninspired 682"
And the moral of today's story is:
"If it's tl;dr, DON'T STINKING CRITICIZE IT!"

I am so sorry. I will read it for real later, then maybe I will give you my opinion, like I should have done.
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!

Hmm... I honestly don't know what to say here. I mean in a way the model looks great, but on the other hand, it doesn't feel like how SCP-682 is described in the document. I don't know, but from what I can gather in my mind from what's stated in the wiki, it's a dino-croc-whale hybrid with big hands, feet and tail, and possibly has other unusual parts as well. Now I'm probably completely wrong about this since the model's not finished yet. But considering from what I saw in SCP:CB (682's hand) it doesn't tie in as much as it ought to on this model? It could be just me though. I'm not really one to judge since I'm not good at dealing with graphics at all.
SCP: Eric Breach nanomod maker (if anyone wants to revamp it be my guest, as it is now defunct)
Fan of Doctor Who, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Sleepy Hollow, Person of Interest, Happy (2017) and Silicon Valley. And also MCU films.

Here's the concept art, keep in mind that it is not what I initially wanted to make in every place and that it isn't exactly like the model you've seen so far. It's based on what I imagined it like with some suggestions made in this topic (particularly the hands, which I altered with some ideas Moonsaber sparked in my mind with his critique).
Spoiler
It's pretty rough, tell me if you want me to flesh it out a little.
inb4 it still looks like a dinosaur
if so, then so be it, it's a dinosaur.

Autotroph, to me, there isn't a very clear picture of how 682 looks like or described from the article, if you could elaborate about why 682 looks like that to you from the article and/or the additional experiment logs (which I'll have to be honest, didn't read all of them) that'd be great.
Oh also, the arm in SCP CB looks rather.. normal.
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Well, to gather some quotes I got from the Experiment Logs...
It appears that SCP-682 is not “alive” in a way that is currently understood,
After review, it appears SCP-173 was unable to do lethal damage to SCP-682 due to a major difference in physical size.
Hypothesis: 682 is not bound to base Earth biological chemistry and can adapt itself to be 'organic' or 'inorganic' as necessary.
SCP-524 pursues SCP-682 for two minutes, at which point SCP-682 climbs four (4) meters up the wall of the testing chamber and is beyond SCP-524's reach.
SCP-682's containment chamber was purged of acid and SCP-1361 was poured onto SCP-682 from above.

Mind you, this is just what I personally gathered out of it. So it's a really big non-living "thing" that can adapt its own chemistry to be either organic or inorganic. It can climb up straight walls and stay up there (a bit like a lizard I suppose?)
And its chamber is constantly filled with acid unless drained for further testing.

While this still leaves much to the imagination this simply screams abstract monster to me. A non-living (undead?) thing with a very bizarre body and alot of mass to it. 682's body will change abruptly depending in what kind of danger it is currently in.
So if you stick to your current design I'd suggest a slightly melted look to 682's appearance. Considering the speed at which 682 can regenerate it could look "half-done" by the time you encounter it, who knows? Also, of COURSE the boney/slightly reptile-ish skull which you have already shown. The rest of the body... hmm.. can't judge it yet as you said it's very early WIP.

Thanks for the information! :D

Well and that's thing, it's body adapts to the situation if necessary, it can at one point look like that, and in one point look like that because the situation it was in enabled it to, so if you take the example of the first quote you mentioned from the experiment with 689, I don't think you could go as far as to saying that it's undead (as in at all times), but rather that it was seemingly undead in that specific occurrence. Also, since the model I'm making isn't the affected 682 (after its been wounded heavily), I'm not going to start adding to it all the features that would inherently make it look monstrous.
Wouldn't the speed at which 682 regenerates mean you wouldn't see him as "half-done"? :P
Did you look at the concept art? I think it gives pretty much the impression I wanted about how it would look like once I finish with the model
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Night wrote:Thanks for the information! :D

Well and that's thing, it's body adapts to the situation if necessary, it can at one point look like that, and in one point look like that because the situation it was in enabled it to, so if you take the example of the first quote you mentioned from the experiment with 689, I don't think you could go as far as to saying that it's undead (as in at all times), but rather that it was seemingly undead in that specific occurrence. Also, since the model I'm making isn't the affected 682 (after its been wounded heavily), I'm not going to start adding to it all the features that would inherently make it look monstrous.
Wouldn't the speed at which 682 regenerates mean you wouldn't see him as "half-done"? :P
Did you look at the concept art? I think it gives pretty much the impression I wanted about how it would look like once I finish with the model

It's never stated at which time 682 escapes nor what kind of wounds could have been inflicted on it. But with being kept in acid constantly and possibly being shot with god knows what, I'd say 682 would still look "disgruntled/injured" by the time you could potentially run into it. Now we come to timelines, those don't matter as much :D
Let's just say that in the eyes of many MANY 682 fans, it's a very grotesque reptilian? monster. And I did see your concept art! It looks pretty amazing but I'd rather see later results before making premature judgement again :laugh:

With 682's body capable to adapt to extreme situations you'd think it could potentially have those huge amounts of eyes again (with 173 being lose inside the facility and all). Maybe 682 already came across another SCP by the time you greet it personally? Sorry, getting ahead of the game itself there.
If you give 682 at least a more or less distinct "DON'T FUCK WITH ME!" look in some way or another, I'll be good. But I'm wondering about its model size. Surely that will take some planning.