Re: SCP 682 Model

Your not going to do a High-Poly sculpt and then bake over a retopo'd (low poly) mesh?

Edit:
Personally I'd view SCP-682 in a more eldritch-abomination sort of manner
Spoiler
I remember hearing Dr. Gears really liked this concept of 682 on the SCP wiki Forums.

doubleghost wrote:-snip-
lolwut
Mirocaine wrote:-snip-
That's how I worked with the 106 model (created a high poly model in ZBrush and retopologized in Blender), but then I realised I need to unwrap the low poly model in order to create normal maps, so I took a manageable subdivision level of the ZBrush model and exported to Blender (using GoB) and retopologized it and unwrapped. Then I imported the retopologized model to ZBrush, created a high poly model again, and created a normal map.

So I figured that first creating the retopologized low poly model in Blender and unwrapping it, and then making a high poly model in ZBrush and getting the normal map for the low poly model is better.

Well, it's one thing to draw something like this, and it's another thing to model something like this, wouldn't you agree? (although it would make for some really good practice modeling that).

Oh also, I remember you worked on fur using the method Shadow of the Colossus did, how did that work out? Since I'm thinking of trying that as well.
Some quick links for myself (and you all too).
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Your baking the normal maps in zbrush? Doing the model 3 times is a lot of work.. I just do a base mesh to make proportions, then sculpt that lowpoly base mesh into a high poly sculpt, then build the low poly mesh off of it, unwrap the low poly and bake the normals, ambient occlusion, etc - from the high poly to the low poly all in blender.

However ZBrush is by far a superior program in sculpting compared to blender, and being able to import a high poly sculpt from there and retopologize will have much better results.

yeah, making 682 look that topologically complex is a pain, but you should do whatever you think looks best. As for the fur, the technique is highly outdated, but blitz3d can't support any real fur particle systems such as those being used today. So the method is still applicable, just a transparent plane mesh with colored dots overlapping one another almost upto 10 times. Its not the most efficient method, but looks like it has more depth than just a low poly mesh with fake, sculpted hair. You can of course add some alpha planes sticking out too, to fake the looks of hair strands.

Yeah, 106 was the first model I made normal maps for, so the process was a little sloppy. With this model it will be two times working on the model, one on the low poly model in Blender, and another one on the high poly model, which would be basically adding details to the low poly model in ZBrush, and creating normal maps right off the bat without any other problems after that (because the the model already has a UV layout).

I wasn't planning to make 682 like what you've showed, but as I said, it would be a really good form of practice. Ah, alright thanks, was just wondering if the results were satisfying. :D
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Pretty much finished with the base mesh of the low poly model; now to the high poly model (it's going to look less like a dinosaur, believe me).
I was thinking a bit about how 682 would fit into the game if it were to be implemented, and I think that it would be really cool if I were to make another 682 model, alongside this one, but which would appear after a certain event which would cause it a lot of damage, and as such change its appearance drastically (sort of like what Mirocaine showed a few posts back); what I am unsure of is what would the event even be, and if this idea is a bit over the top. Let me know what you think.
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Perhaps when 682 first appears at Gate B, you'll see in okay condition, jumping at the helicopters and such, but when you find it later on, after you get past that door, it has serious battle scars. The model's looking pretty good, by the way! I wasn't sure about the bipedal stance at first, but I think it works a lot better than I thought, though I think the way its back arches sorta clashes with the article photo, which seems much more level.
It slep time bunner.

Night wrote:I think that the way it is now makes sense if you consider that 682 is laying on the ground in that picture. I will check it out though, I'm still tweaking it a little before I'll start with the high poly model
Ah, I see what you mean, it's like 682's article picture is of it laying there, incredibly wounded, still recovering from its wounds. I like the design more and more I visit this thread.
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:
Night wrote:I think that the way it is now makes sense if you consider that 682 is laying on the ground in that picture. I will check it out though, I'm still tweaking it a little before I'll start with the high poly model
Ah, I see what you mean, it's like 682's article picture is of it laying there, incredibly wounded, still recovering from its wounds. I like the design more and more I visit this thread.
"SCP-682 shortly after escaping from containment, still recovering from acid immersion."
this is the text beneath the article photo, so it's obviously lying on the ground^^
as there is no further information about the look of 682, the model fits very well