Re: Irrlicht Port

Alright, with the new video I have to note this, the walking animation is not in sync with the footsteps, and doesn't even make sense. First off, who would ever sway that much while walking? A simple head bob and a veerrrry slight sway from side to side would be enough. Also, he walks way to slow for a human. Walking on average has about half a second between footsteps, and sprinting is a quarter. This is pretty funny because when he sprints he basically walks and then after a short time he breaths like he just ran a five mile marathon at 25 miles per hour in a trench coat. So if you are gonna do the whole walking animation thing, please just keep this in mind, you know, for the sake of keeping it at least somewhat realistic.

Or maybe D9341 is some other species, I dunno...
GIVE ME SOME CHEESECAKE DAMMIT.
(Also, for future reference, my name is MagicJackz)

It's alright. The issue is in the original game as well. I'm just super picky when it comes to that kind of stuff. Lol. But yeah, thanks for actually taking that into mind. I'd love to see it happen.
GIVE ME SOME CHEESECAKE DAMMIT.
(Also, for future reference, my name is MagicJackz)

Irontaco wrote:Awesome work, the fact that now the FPS is kept at 60-constant is amazing. Is this expected to change/vary when NPC AI is introduced? If i'm right it was PART of why CB is kinda slow on Blitz3D.
I'm limiting the FPS to 60 to make CPU usage lower (otherwise it runs at nearly 200 FPS). I disable the limit while I'm working on potentially slow stuff, to make sure I can keep it running at 100 FPS at least.

Collision detection is the main reason that the NPCs are slow in Blitz3D, because most (if not all) of them depend on raytracing (all of the NPCs that use waypoints frequently check if they can run straight towards the player using a linepick). If I'm not mistaken, Bullet does a better job at doing this quickly, but I'll still look for more ways to optimize the NPCs.

juanjpro wrote:Here's a new video:
[youtube]wAYj2QBi3Gc[/youtube]

I should learn how to edit and convert videos better.
Nice :D Really looking forward to seeing this get finished with no more MAVs popping up and less memory consumption :D I mean seriously though the 1.0.x versions eat up quite a lot of memory...

As for video editing and converting though, well... what converter do you use exactly and at what settings? Then again, YouTube's conversion settings are kinda pretty low in order for them to stream videos online, so they take 3/4s of the blame.
SCP: Eric Breach nanomod maker (if anyone wants to revamp it be my guest, as it is now defunct)
Fan of Doctor Who, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Sleepy Hollow, Person of Interest, Happy (2017) and Silicon Valley. And also MCU films.

I'm really excited. If i'm not mistaken, is the official full version of the game going to be changed to this new engine and then uploaded to the download mirror?
===============================
History is written by the victor~Winston Churchill
===============================

LORD DEATH wrote:I'm really excited. If i'm not mistaken, is the official full version of the game going to be changed to this new engine and then uploaded to the download mirror?
That depends on what Regalis decides to do if he sees this. I haven't asked him yet, I don't plan on doing so (at least, until I have a stable release with most/all of the game's features)

I've been rewriting some player code because it wouldn't climb up stairs if the FPS was under 20. Now it's finally fixed :)

I'm now working on "RMesh 2", that should be more efficient than the current RMesh. I'm going to use strings as least as possible in this new format, so the game doesn't have to parse anything. This saves disk space and should make loading a bit faster.

My god, I don't know how this passed under the radar. It's really needed, I supposed you could have done everything in Blitz3D, but with the amount of spaghetti code it needed a fresh start.
Question, you DID recode it cleanly right? Ah hell, never mind, from what I saw of the BoH stuff you did it was fine.

Oh, almost forgot to mention, what does the Irrlicht engine support in terms of... networking?

mrpeanut188 wrote:I supposed you could have done everything in Blitz3D, but with the amount of spaghetti code it needed a fresh start.
Writing large programs in procedural languages(that aren't C) is going to result in spaghetti code, the benefits you get from OOP usually outweigh the extra cycles used in V-Table lookups.
Question, you DID recode it cleanly right?
Eh, I'd argue that juan could refactor 3dworld into multiple source/header files given that he put the project on a repo, right now it just feels like a slightly cleaner Main.bb. But I digress, I promised myself I would wait until he finishes the core before re-writing/refactoring his code.
Oh, almost forgot to mention, what does the Irrlicht engine support in terms of... networking?
From what I remember, not that much. (I think there's a library that uses it as a dependency, but I never really looked into it) It's pretty irrelevant though, C/C++ libraries by their nature usually are meant to do one thing well, rather than be broad all-in-one packages. IMO, you'd be better off getting RakNet or another standalone library, rather than something that depends on Irrlicht.
M-x dingus-mode