Ambient Music

Regarding ambient music within the game:

So, I am an avid guitar player and I do love a lot of music from electronic to classic rock and metal and so on. As such, it occurred to me that the diversity of music within the game is very low. When the player walks about, all he can hear is that same eerie track looping. It would be fine for the first ten minutes, but it gets old until a scripted event that requires different sounds occur.

Now, one of my many favourite artists are instrumentalists. People such as Dexter Britain, Trentemøller, Warmer (He made music for The Cat Lady), Loscil, If These Trees Could Talk, and so on. Now, these artists all differ, but something they all have in common is conveying emotion.

For these purposes, take Nightwalker by Trentemøller (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSkAqSmBkno). Without the man's quotes, take into account the simplicity and uneasiness of the sound. There's very few instruments being used, but the right combination can change the atmosphere quite dramatically. Of course, the song becomes more upbeat as it goes on, but a sound similar to this should be achieved in making music for this game. I'm not good at making music, but I may delve into this.

Thoughts?

Re: Ambient Music

Guys, that's not what I'm saying. Honestly, don't complain over petty matters like that.

I'm suggesting a change in... I guess you could say quality, but it wouldn't be correct in all aspects. most ambient music in the game consists of drones and random, out-of-key volume swells. They're good, but too numerous and excessively used.

Vulpest wrote:Guys, that's not what I'm saying. Honestly, don't complain over petty matters like that.

I'm suggesting a change in... I guess you could say quality, but it wouldn't be correct in all aspects. most ambient music in the game consists of drones and random, out-of-key volume swells. They're good, but too numerous and excessively used.
How about no for now.
(I hope I'm not necroposting)
The game revolves around a singular feel to it, described by the various instruments it uses that aren't present in other games.
Other instruments would probably break the feeling, as well as the abstract horror feeling the game has.
IMO.
𝙱𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚣𝟹𝙳 𝙴𝚛𝚛𝚘𝚛(!): 𝙿𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚝𝚝𝚘𝚗 𝚛𝚊𝚙𝚒𝚍𝚕𝚢 𝚒𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚟𝚊𝚝𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛.

After test after test after test I can say the "MenuAmbience" and "The Dread" are starting to seriously grate on my nerves.

Most music in SCP:CB is indeed repetitive, too loud and way too predictable and linked to specific events (i.e. SCP-106 starts chasing you). It's a bit cheap IMHO.

I'd like ambient music to give a tone of uneasiness to the scene rather than be a distraction from it. Heck, maybe even no music at all.

And Vulpest, that track draws way too much attention. It'd be fun to put it as the Foundation's elevator music for an extra-grimy scenery.

I'd say for example Kammarheit - A Room Between The Rooms and Delerium - Dark Star, and stretched\toned down because they are still too loud.
SCP-079, SCP-294 & other models / SCP:CB Inventory Mod
I confirm you can win SCP:CB on Keter using only a keycard.

I always imagined the ambiance changing only slightly when it came to a certain SCP chasing after you, hell maybe even predicting who or what it was close by.
Like you know how Five Nights at Freddy's ambiance changed a bit then the antagonists came closer to you.

Here's an example I'm trying to explain: Normally you wander the foundation, and the ambiance would be like maybe a very low key tune to it, like a hum maybe, and say SCP-173 was beginning to get close to the player, the ambiance would then change into a more dreadful, kind of high-pitched ring into it. I know that would make the jump scare a bit more predictable maybe, but at the same time it would make the player more anxious to wondering when it was going to happen.
For 106 I say his ambiance when he begins to come after you would make the current music more distorted and growly. Plus I always imagined the chase theme to have a pulse-like feel to it, like the sound of your blood rushing though your head.

It's a absurd idea I know, but maybe it would help out the situation here with music keys and things like that.
Welcome to the Pocket Dimension, may I take your order?

Personally, I've always thought the way Ambient Tracks played in Containment Breach were similar to Thief : The Dark Project in where the Track loops [ But slightly changes here and there ] until you reach a new area where it then plays another loop from the same track. [ Though, Containment Breach uses separate files rather than one huge one ] and each Track suited the feel and overall tone of not just the situation but the place itself.
Spoiler
[youtube]?v=u21Q01FEHSo[/youtube]
Spoiler
[youtube]?v=4pNOMb1oKDY[/youtube]
I did create more dynamic tracks to add a bit more variance such as Cognitohazard to play in SCP-035's Chamber when the Tentacles appeared. Sadly, Most of them never made it into the Game. You can find the whole list in the Asset/Resource Thread.

On a side note, I might be possibly considering releasing all Unused Tracks I made as a Pack for Horror Game Developers to use.. Once I get the motivation and time.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter
SCP Containment Breach Sound Designer.
Favourite SCP is SCP-1845-1.

FireFox wrote:Personally, I've always thought the way Ambient Tracks played in Containment Breach were similar to Thief : The Dark Project in where the Track loops [ But slightly changes here and there ] until you reach a new area where it then plays another loop from the same track. [ Though, Containment Breach uses separate files rather than one huge one ] and each Track suited the feel and overall tone of not just the situation but the place itself.
Spoiler
Spoiler
I did create more dynamic tracks to add a bit more variance such as Cognitohazard to play in SCP-035's Chamber when the Tentacles appeared. Sadly, Most of them never made it into the Game. You can find the whole list in the Asset/Resource Thread.

On a side note, I might be possibly considering releasing all Unused Tracks I made as a Pack for Horror Game Developers to use.. Once I get the motivation and time.
After completing the game, I can say some tracks are quite good (079 to my amazement, and the music after you complete the game). The menu ambience just gets too annoying after a while, the dread is overused, and 106-follows-you track is cliché.
SCP-079, SCP-294 & other models / SCP:CB Inventory Mod
I confirm you can win SCP:CB on Keter using only a keycard.

Hakkla wrote:
FireFox wrote:Personally, I've always thought the way Ambient Tracks played in Containment Breach were similar to Thief : The Dark Project in where the Track loops [ But slightly changes here and there ] until you reach a new area where it then plays another loop from the same track. [ Though, Containment Breach uses separate files rather than one huge one ] and each Track suited the feel and overall tone of not just the situation but the place itself.
Spoiler
Spoiler

After completing the game, I can say some tracks are quite good (079 to my amazement, and the music after you complete the game). The menu ambience just gets too annoying after a while, the dread is overused, and 106-follows-you track is cliché.
Well, Those aren't mine. :P

Mine are Groaning Ambience, The SCP-860 Tracks, SCP-049 Tension, Pocket Dimension Ambience and several Sound Effects. There is also the SCP-409 Ambience for the Box of Horrors Mod.

Another one called Depressing Ambience was mixed into The Dread by Regalia, I think, Which made the High and Low Containment Themes.

Those are the ones I can list off the top of my head..

The Dread and Ending Themes were by Kevin McLeod.

I did compose a series of SCP-079 Themes [ https://soundcloud.com/fire-fox-3/scp-079-theme ] and plenty of others on my Sound Cloud.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter
SCP Containment Breach Sound Designer.
Favourite SCP is SCP-1845-1.