Re: Dealing with Memory Access Violations

I tried any of the suggestions (CommanderPro100 and following) and still had MAVs, specially in heavy containment zone (and most often near 106's room).
Now today i managed to solve the gamebreaking ones, unfortunately i can only guess which of the following steps did the job.
Playing Version 1.0.4

- I use Comodo Firewall - the thing is paranoid, so deactivating helped probably
- I play on my laptop with Nvidia- Optimus. I changed the preferred graphic-mode to my Nvidia GPU (instead of Intel 4000) - i got the flickering with all text, but one of the breaking MAVs disappeared
- I played the game on my usb-flashdrive
- I deactivated the User Account Control under Win 8.1

I'm going to do some further testing to eventually isolate the really helpful point of the above. I think, its most likely the graphic-card-switch.
i <3 bug reports
-----------------------------
running CB under:
Intel Core i5-3340 (Ivy)
with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000

cant post a thread in bug reports because i just joined, but whenever i save my game it has an MAV. Saving and Quitting doesnt work either. please help, I dont want to play in keter all the time :(. Also the test.exe thing works without an MAV so its not that.

EDIT: Woah what the fuck how come playing in a resolution less than my native one worked. Thats odd

EDIT2: it also works without fullscreen but seriously, this should be fixed.

EDIT3: Nevermind fullscreen thing doesnt work :(

EDIT4: Sorry for so many edits but WHAT THE FUCK now it crashes whenever i save no matter what resolution

EDIT5: okay sorry again, but I figured out the problem. It is so motherfucking dumb i cant even... When your save file name is too long and you save it kicks you out with an MAV so yeah. Think you should put that in the thread. I dont know what produces an error and what doesnt because for some reason the name "lol test" didnt kick me out but "oh no" did. So Ill try finding out more later

GrenadeBoy wrote:cant post a thread in bug reports because i just joined, but whenever i save my game it has an MAV. Saving and Quitting doesnt work either. please help, I dont want to play in keter all the time :(. Also the test.exe thing works without an MAV so its not that.

EDIT: Woah what the fuck how come playing in a resolution less than my native one worked. Thats odd

EDIT2: it also works without fullscreen but seriously, this should be fixed.

EDIT3: Nevermind fullscreen thing doesnt work :(

EDIT4: Sorry for so many edits but WHAT THE FUCK now it crashes whenever i save no matter what resolution

EDIT5: okay sorry again, but I figured out the problem. It is so motherfucking dumb i cant even... When your save file name is too long and you save it kicks you out with an MAV so yeah. Think you should put that in the thread. I dont know what produces an error and what doesnt because for some reason the name "lol test" didnt kick me out but "oh no" did. So Ill try finding out more later
Make sure you do all your testing first before you post a bug. It helps make your report a lot clearer. :) Also, what version of SCP are you playing? 1.0.4? Is it a patch, or a full download (downloading the entire new version)? These are a few things to keep in mind when writing reports.

If everything is starting to go wrong, I suggest that you download another copy (not a patch) of the version you are playing, and see if your MAV goes away. I know from experience that changing settings like running as administrator, enabling/disabling bumpmapping, and resolutions can potentially corrupt a save file which may explain your string of edits (1-4). I don't know why, but it happens to me a lot. I once changed settings so much in a single save file that it wouldn't even open (MAV at loading screen) unless I have the settings set exactly to the previous save. I recommend having separate save files for each test that you want to conduct. Ex. one for running as admin, one for running as admin and bumpmapping off, one for a resolution change, etc.

Let me know if your problem persists after you download a new copy of your current version (also let me know what the version is, I'm assuming it's 1.0.4).

Yeah I'm having a lot of issues as well. I have the latest version and I tried to load my save after quitting and it would hit about 47% and hit me with the MAV. So I created a new game and that worked...until I went to the elevator to go into the basement.

I'm not quite sure what's up with it but it's sad because I want to play this game lol

Basto Slice wrote:Yeah I'm having a lot of issues as well. I have the latest version and I tried to load my save after quitting and it would hit about 47% and hit me with the MAV. So I created a new game and that worked...until I went to the elevator to go into the basement.

I'm not quite sure what's up with it but it's sad because I want to play this game lol
Are you using Windows 7, or 8?

Elevator to 939's Basement? That MAV should be fixed by turning off bumpmapping. See thread:http://scpcbgame.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 939#p87160
Make sure your save file is in a room other than the elevator room that goes down to 939's room. Switching bumpmapping settings with a file saved in the elevator room may cause problems.

In the future, try taking some time to see if your bug has already been posted. It might already be fixed (developers making a new fixed version found within the forum only), or fixable. :)

DialUp wrote:I found an easy fix to this! Right click the SCP exe file, then go properties then click compatibility and choose windows service pack 3, easy :D
This method is already included in the first post, but thanks anyways.

As for my report, I get a memory access violation whenever I enter one of the heavy containment rooms. I've already tried most of these methods and it happens in that room no matter what.