v1.0 bugs, annoyances and more

So v1.0 was pretty awesome, the new intro is absolutely superb (kudos to Prune) and 939 is pants shittingly terrifying. also, eric.

I did run into quite a few bugs, one in particular which basically made the game unplayable for me. I'll try my best to explain everything that I ran into that seemed questionable.

-079 appeared in the LCZ, not sure if this is a bug, since I feel like that's where 079 should always spawn, but he still has the office stripes.

-Items are broken. Radio plays static, yet doesn't display any channels, S-Nav doesn't show any of the map either, despite having battery.

-falling through the floor. This has only happened once and it was in an elevator once again, specifically the one on the way out of 939's chamber. A simple reload worked, though the one peculiar thing was that I actually died from the fall, I even heard PDimpact, as if that was the sound of my legs shattering. I feel like this has to do with the actual design of the room, considering there's a failed elevator shaft in there which you can probably fall down. If so, then that's unrelated, maybe there should be a death message for that.

-970 is pretty unpolished, the looping effect is pretty damn corked in some instances, when leaving a looped room to move onto the next corridor. It just teleports you from the corridor to the room you were just in, just on the next instance over. I've seen this happen quite a few times on playthroughs, it really kinda makes the effect look disjointed.

-This is not a bug, but 079's sounds are WAY too frequent now. I'm not sure what was done, but he makes his extremely loud intercom sounds at a hilarious rate, it's actually more annoying than scary after a while. Look at Niborius' 939 video, it's laughably bad, there's literally 6 sounds in one minute. The beauty of having 079 randomly scare the shit out of you is that you'll probably have forgotten it ever happens by the time that it does happen. But in my playthrough, it felt it was like the only thing I was hearing. I personally think it should play as rarely as half a dozen times in a playthrough, enough to make you convinced he's always there, not something to annoyingly remind you that he's gonna spook you.

-MAV at 860's room. This is the gamebreaker for me, I can't progress into the Office Zone with this bug. I feel like I've narrowed it down to 860's room, since I can only get as far as various parts of the Heavy Containment Zone before getting the error, and teleporting to any of the new rooms works perfectly fine, except for 860's. It really sucks I can't enter an SCP that I've been following for almost two years, hopefully this gets patched as soon as possible, I'd hate for anyone else's first experience of 1.0 to be like that.

All these errors were encountered on Windows 8, I'll be doing another playthrough on XP to see if the last one carries over.
It slep time bunner.

Re: v1.0 bugs, annoyances and more

Ok, heres where I stand here, this update is shit my pants level of scary, but there are so many bugs and crashes its unbeleivable, and im quite disapointed.

after a few seconds of seeing those weird eyeball things at the cafeteria, my game crashes,

going to the 860 room it crashes,

the game lags like it never lagged before, i'm talking like 2 fps or even 1

when loading a game, the textures often glitch and turn black,

alot of entities often dissapear with no reason, hell, my intro broke because the guards dissapeared, but they said they would kill me and when they began shooting me they're models were huge ducks with random textures and with wrong shooting graphics.

049 crashes the game when he kills me.

hands wont appear in 939's room

the texture for 939 often has white on the things of his back.

and again, SO MUCH LAG!

and yet before, my game only ever lagged at the intro! im very disappointed. hell, i cant even see 860! it just crashes!

and when I say crash, it dosent say memory access violation, the game freezes and stops responding. I am disappointed.
bleh

SCP-Sean wrote:Ok, heres where I stand here, this update is shit my pants level of scary, but there are so many bugs and crashes its unbeleivable, and im quite disapointed.
Could you please post the specs of your PC? To me it seems like it could be some kind of compatibility problem, since I haven't heard anyone having this many and this severe bugs.

Omniary wrote:-MAV at 860's room.
I think this is because I did something really stupid with the implementation of the forest:

Code: Select all

Handle(fr)
Handle(dp)
I should've added a new field to the rooms type so we could add the forest object safely, rather than use the Handle function.

Um Sir Regalis he's not the only one having many problems :(

Now it could simply be a corrupted download (highly unlikely), or maybe it's because there's no primary graphics driver other than exactly just that being listed in the launcher (more likely but games such as CS work well so I dunno). Anyway I played 1.0 in a computer shop (forgot the specs; the only thing I remember is that it has 2.9ghz dual core AMD processor, 4gb ram, enough disk space, and no listed primary driver, and also Windows XP SP2 or 3); maybe it just hates XP (I'll check it in my Windows 7 laptop on Saturday), but it's still very disconcerting that at 800x600 res (not fullscreen), I literally can't play any new game with any seed due to a MAV! At 1280x720 no fullscreen I then get the forest.rmesh error! When I got it to work then, the guards at the intro didn't bother following me when I outrun them, and when I came back, only one guard was left! I hope it works better at the laptop, but it's still very worrying :(
SCP: Eric Breach nanomod maker (if anyone wants to revamp it be my guest, as it is now defunct)
Fan of Doctor Who, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Sleepy Hollow, Person of Interest, Happy (2017) and Silicon Valley. And also MCU films.

juanjpro wrote:
Omniary wrote:-MAV at 860's room.
I think this is because I did something really stupid with the implementation of the forest:

Code: Select all

Handle(fr)
Handle(dp)
I should've added a new field to the rooms type so we could add the forest object safely, rather than use the Handle function.
I changed it now, hopefully it'll do the trick. I have no idea though why it's working fine for some people (including me), and since I can't reproduce the crashes I can't test whether this fix worked.
Omniary wrote:-970 is pretty unpolished, the looping effect is pretty damn corked in some instances, when leaving a looped room to move onto the next corridor. It just teleports you from the corridor to the room you were just in, just on the next instance over. I've seen this happen quite a few times on playthroughs, it really kinda makes the effect look disjointed.
This one's puzzling me. That has never happened to me and I can't think of any reason why it should work differently on different systems. What makes it even weirder is that (at least in that video) it seems to work fine when going through that one door, but not when going through the opposite, even though the logic for moving the player is identical (except for the direction of the movement)...

EDIT:

Just found a severe bug in the UpdateRooms-function, specifically the part where the distance to rooms is calculated. It didn't assign the distance to the distance-field of the rooms if the player was further away from the room than the hide distance (dist = x instead of r\dist = x), which made it appear as if the player was 0 units away from those rooms. This caused at least the radio- and navigator bugs because the game though the player is constantly inside 895's room, and the frequent 079 sounds because it appeared as if the player was in all the rooms with a security camera monitor in them. I'm sure it also caused other bugs as well, and it was one of the causes of the framerate issues, because the game was constantly doing visibility checks with the monitors even if the player was at the other side of the map.

Regalis wrote:I changed it now, hopefully it'll do the trick. I have no idea though why it's working fine for some people (including me), and since I can't reproduce the crashes I can't test whether this fix worked.
This. This is why strict tickets should have been enforced a long time ago.
M-x dingus-mode

I went down 939's elevator like omniary did and died with the same noise, but i saw 106's glowing eyes for a second so i thought it was an elevator trap or something, wasn't until a video i realized it was leading to 939.
ERIC IS LOVE, ERIC IS LIFE.

MonocleBios wrote:
Regalis wrote:I changed it now, hopefully it'll do the trick. I have no idea though why it's working fine for some people (including me), and since I can't reproduce the crashes I can't test whether this fix worked.
This. This is why strict tickets should have been enforced a long time ago.
Sorry for my poor understanding of programming terminology, but what do you mean by strict tickets?

EDIT: oh, as in a specific form in which the bugs should be reported (and a list of information required in a report)?

Regalis wrote:Sorry for my poor understanding of programming terminology, but what do you mean by strict tickets?
Sorry for the slang, a ticket is an entry into a bug tracking system/database. I tend to use the term fairly loosely. By strict tickets, I mean tickets that follow a specific format rather than the one line reports we often get here that aren't very helpful at getting a good idea as to where to start looking.

EDIT: oh, as in a specific form in which the bugs should be reported (and a list of information required in a report)?
Yea that. I hinted at it in the sticky, but really all I care about is the report having as much detail as possible as to how it was triggered. I'll say it once, and I'll say it again; If I cannot replicate the bug, 99% of the time I cannot fix it.
M-x dingus-mode