Re: Theories and science thread.

Awesomeguy147 wrote:
If you're actually interested in the Big Bang theory (scientific theory ffs) and what it says, you shouldn't ask on a forum directed towards a game, but rather on a forum directed towards science.
This is off-topic, the fact that this is a forum for an indie horror game is irrelevant when it comes to conversation.
You missed my point, I wasn't saying anything is wrong with posting it here, sure he wants to hear people's opinions or whatnot, I understand it; I was saying that if he's interested in what the Big Bang theory actually is, he should discuss it with people who can actually explain it without any "amateurish" responses, on a forum dedicated to science.

I hope I made my point clear now.
Some quick links for myself (and you all too).
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Night wrote:First of all, I have some sort of a feeling you're trying to avoid stating whenever you believe that a god/gods exist or not, by saying "I'm agnostic" (excuse me if I'm wrong).
I myself am an agnostic atheist, I don't know if a god or gods exist, but I don't believe it/they do/es.

Agnosticism and gnosticism addresses your knowledge; while atheism or theism addresses your belief.

So I'll start off by asking, are you an atheist, or a theist? Do you believe that a god/gods exist, or not? (I'm not asking if you know that a god or gods exist, I don't think that's even possible quite frankly...)

If you're actually interested in the Big Bang theory (scientific theory ffs) and what it says, you shouldn't ask on a forum directed towards a game, but rather on a forum directed towards science.
(and I can clearly see, with the tiny speck of knowledge I have about it, that you don't understand what it says).

Oh, and also, just to get this out of the way, what do you think/understand that the Big Bang theory says? What would be your answer to the question "what does the Big Bang theory say" in other words?
Well, that I know, there's not a religion that exists for what I believe in, I basically believe that an omnipotent entity created the universe, HOWEVER, it is not how it's mentioned in the bible, for me, things like sin, angels, demons and satan do not exist.

But now that I've researched all that, I can be considered as a "theist".

Well, I understand that this is not a science forum, but I think that's good that people with interest on this topic share their opinions and beliefs about various theories and science itself :)
Awesomeguy147 wrote:
This is off-topic, the fact that this is a forum for an indie horror game is irrelevant when it comes to conversation.

About the big bang theory, I watch a lot of "Through the Wormhole", apparently there is this one theory where A big bang happens every time this dimension and another dimension touch each other. (At least I think that is how it goes)
I still don't get it correclty :/, you mean that there's various Big Bangs over the universe? Are you talking about the theory of the multiverse?

Edit: Don't double post.
hentai

CristianHG wrote: Well, that I know, there's not a religion that exists for what I believe in, I basically believe that an omnipotent entity created the universe, HOWEVER, it is not how it's mentioned in the bible, for me, things like sin, angels, demons and satan do not exist.
This is somewhat like me. I'm a Christian, but I only believe in a few pages, or maybe even verses, of what little I read of the Bible. The rest just doesn't make much sense to me. I especially don't believe in the book of Genesis, in the beginning of the Bible. I believe in the Big Bang theory, mostly because the theory isn't about the explosion itself. It also states that the universe is still expanding and that in the distant future, the universe will eventually start to implode, leading me to believe that the explosion that happened 13 or 14 billion years ago wasn't the first, and if this is the case, it isn't going to be the last, either.
spartan322 wrote:it is not every day that an SCP comes out of the closet.
"I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath."
My SCP playthrough
Trex plays Amnesia: AMFP

LukeDude759 wrote:
CristianHG wrote: Well, that I know, there's not a religion that exists for what I believe in, I basically believe that an omnipotent entity created the universe, HOWEVER, it is not how it's mentioned in the bible, for me, things like sin, angels, demons and satan do not exist.
This is somewhat like me. I'm a Christian, but I only believe in a few pages, or maybe even verses, of what little I read of the Bible. The rest just doesn't make much sense to me. I especially don't believe in the book of Genesis, in the beginning of the Bible. I believe in the Big Bang theory, mostly because the theory isn't about the explosion itself. It also states that the universe is still expanding and that in the distant future, the universe will eventually start to implode, leading me to believe that the explosion that happened 13 or 14 billion years ago wasn't the first, and if this is the case, it isn't going to be the last, either.
Well, it is certain that humanity will one day come to an end as there are a lot of factors, let's say, what about when the Sun dies? (As it is a star, it's going to run out of gas and die) It will either become a black hole or a protostar I think.

I also believe in the expasion of the universe, it makes sense, however, I just don't find enough evidence to believe in that theory. What about multiverse?
hentai

CristianHG wrote:Well, that I know, there's not a religion that exists for what I believe in, I basically believe that an omnipotent entity created the universe, HOWEVER, it is not how it's mentioned in the bible, for me, things like sin, angels, demons and satan do not exist.
But now that I've researched all that, I can be considered as a "theist".
I wasn't asking you anything about religion, or about the god that appears in the Bible, but sure.
So I'm going to take it that you believe in your own personal god? If so, well, even if not so, why do you believe in it?
CristianHG wrote:Well, it is certain that humanity will one day come to an end as there are a lot of factors, let's say, what about when the Sun dies? (As it is a star, it's going to run out of gas and die) It will either become a black hole or a protostar I think.
I wouldn't go so much as to say it is certain, the estimated time, assuming that nothing else happens to the sun in the meanwhile, of the sun's "death" is in about 4 billion years.
Who knows what will happen until then, maybe humans will be dead by other means, maybe we will already have colonies on other planets, etc. It'll take more than just the sun becoming a red giant in 4 billion years to stop humanity's progress, for now. :laugh:
CristianHG wrote:I also believe in the expasion of the universe, it makes sense, however, I just don't find enough evidence to believe in that theory. What about multiverse?
O'really? Just to make this clear:
[]you believe that the expansion of the universe is true
[]that it makes sense
[]held by facts and evidence

Well, congratulations, if all of the above is true, you do in fact believe that the Big Bang theory is true. The Big Bang theory, as far as I know (and I mean it, I put everything in such modest words regarding this one), barely addresses anything regarding the beginning of the universe, if not nothing at all. All it explains is how the universe developed; how it could've expanded from a very small and dense state, into what is known as today.

And yes, what about the Multiverse theory? I'm not even sure if it can be addressed as a scientific theory to be honest, but what about it? The Big Bang theory and Multiverse theory aren't mutually exclusive, to the degree of knowledge I have about the two subjects.
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

CristianHG wrote:
LukeDude759 wrote:
Well, it is certain that humanity will one day come to an end as there are a lot of factors, let's say, what about when the Sun dies? (As it is a star, it's going to run out of gas and die) It will either become a black hole or a protostar I think.

I also believe in the expasion of the universe, it makes sense, however, I just don't find enough evidence to believe in that theory. What about multiverse?
It's already been disproven that the sun is massive enough to become a black hole. Even then, the earth will be destroyed long before the sun explodes. The sun will eventually become a red giant, growing by more than an AU, and therefore, the earth will burn up in the sun.

And as for the multiverse theory, just think about it. If our universe exists, isn't there a good chance others do, too? It's the same idea as extraterrestrial life: Earth can't possibly be the only habitable planet in the solar system, or at least the galaxy. There is also a theory that Mars was once habitable and possibly had life at one time, but the magnetic field shielding it from the sun's radiation shifted, exposing the planet and destroying all life that might have been there.

On a related note, there's also another solar system with a planet with similar conditions to Earth, and might have intelligent life on it. Here's an artist's impression of it:
spartan322 wrote:it is not every day that an SCP comes out of the closet.
"I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath."
My SCP playthrough
Trex plays Amnesia: AMFP

LukeDude759 wrote: And as for the multiverse theory, just think about it. If our universe exists, isn't there a good chance others do, too? It's the same idea as extraterrestrial life: Earth can't possibly be the only habitable planet in the solar system, or at least the galaxy. There is also a theory that Mars was once habitable and possibly had life at one time, but the magnetic field shielding it from the sun's radiation shifted, exposing the planet and destroying all life that might have been there.
The problem is that we just don't know, there's no way of testing or rationalizing whenever other universes exist at this point. How can you tell that there is a good chance that others do exist? How can you tell that there is no chance of other universes existing? I believe that it's possible for other universes to exist along side ours, but there's no way of knowing it currently. And even is we did know other universes exist, they would probably be governed by different rules than ours. Unless we're going to say that there is an infinite number of universes, in which case we'll eventually run into paradoxes.

But really, at the end of the day, this question doesn't matter, we still have our own vast universe to explore and understand, which we know so little about.

As for the life on other planets. Well, that's a little different, we do know, almost certainly, that to find another planet with life is pretty rare (considering all the planets in the universe). But then again, the only planet we know to have life on so far, is our own planet, so clearly planets similar to ours will have life on them, possibly even intelligent life. They are rare for obvious reasons, the position/distance from the sun, the other planets surrounding it, events that caused them to be like Earth, etc.

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with what I am talking about, but here's a link to what I mean anyway:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis
Earth can't possibly be the only habitable planet in the solar system
It can be/probably is the only habitable planet in the solar system (not saying that it's impossible), and it's most definitely the only planet with intelligent life in our solar system.

edit*
I have a feeling we'll start getting into philosophical debates, Cristian might as well change the topic's name to "Theories, Science and Philosophy". :P
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy