Re: Five Nights at Freddy's

The OP posted this
Homura-Chan wrote:This is fabricated.

First of all, the sound in green at the bottom - that doesn't match the actual sound. The elec garble.ogg has continuous, rather consistent sound. There's no dip as that image has displayed. See: http://i.imgur.com/6Wiq2s9.png?1

And here's the file as a spectrogram: http://i.imgur.com/s5tWQjS.png?1 (click [[1]] for a larger version)

Furthermore, Scott uses stock sounds almost exclusively. This would not be in a stock sound.

Awesomeguy147 wrote: It indeed looks harder and seems to explain what you're supposed to do better (as far as I know)... but it still doesn't seem scary. It seems to be good at creating atmosphere (assuming you actually know what to do and not being frustrated by confusion), creating the feeling of you losing control of the situation, and it has a somewhat intriguing hidden story. However, what it fails at is actually doing anything with it, because despite how much buildup there could be at times, what it leads up to is an animatronic getting up to your face going "boggydiboogalywoo" and then the game over screen.
Pretty much this.

If you liked the first one, you'll probably like the second one since it's more or less the same game. I do think that FNaF is worth playing due to the unique mechanics and a somewhat refreshing look at jump scares; (I'd personally recommend buying only one of them unless you REALLY like the story) but I honestly think that the overall horror experience is mediocre at best. (Obviously if you have some form of automatonophobia it's going to be a much better experience)

My main grievance with the game is that, like CB, it seems to rely on the concept of having the player repeatedly play the same section of the game in order to develop some sort of mastery of the game mechanics. The issue with this, in my humble opinion, is that repetition is the bane of a good horror experience. I admit, the build up in the game is decently done. But having a goofy looking, anthropomorphic, robot duck jump up and startle you is only going to scare you a set number of times. Following this, if you're constantly exposed to the same stimulus, whether it be a particular jump scare or some spooky atmosphere, eventually, even the most susceptible of individuals are going to grow more comfortable with it.

As for the story, it has too many 'creepypasta' vibes to it for me to take it seriously. Sure, if you put enough effort into over-analyzing it you can make it seem like a psychological horror experience, but I wouldn't call it a GOOD psychological horror experience.

All in all:
Horror: Meh, but it ain't that bad. As long as you don't go in to the game expecting the hyperbole it has received, you shouldn't be disappointed.
Psychological Horror: If you go into this expecting some serious philosophical shit, you're likely going to leave disappointed. Not even sure why the game has the tag on steam.
$8.79 CAD: I'd personally put the game at $5.49 like the first one, but I still think that the game is reasonably priced.
hug0905 wrote:little kids
my sides
M-x dingus-mode

FoxMccloud64 wrote:for fucks sake foxy stop killing me at 3am in night 6 im trying to beat this shit
Night 6 is surely hard, it took me a while to beat it, with toy bonnie and [SPOILERINSMALLTEXT]goldenfreddy being the number one cause of my deaths.

Foxy is hard, yes, but there's ways to fight him at night 6. Spend the first 20 seconds revving up the music box, LISTEN TO SOUND CUES, if you hear the "animatronic nearby" sound you can wait around 5 or 7 seconds more.

You need a routine in night 6, in this case, lower camera, tap the flashlight button only a few times (you MUST save battery), look at left vent, right vent, back to screen, rev up music box to half, half a quarter or full if you're brave, before you lower screen keep your mouse near the freddy mask trigger area in your screen.

You need really quick reflexes, you only have about 2 or less seconds to put the mask on if one of the animatronics is in your office. From what i've learnt, Bonnie gives you very little time, followed by Chica, then Fazbear, with Toy Fazbear being the easiest.

Back to Foxy, sometimes he will be at the hallway but you won't be able to see him due to other animatronics taking up the spot, remember the game has prerendered graphics and can't really show many animatronics at once, when you flash the light down the hallway and you don't see foxy, but another animatronic, flash a few more times just to be sure.

Remember the battery power, if you're flashing all the time while you're looking the vent lights and when there is nothing in the hallway, you're gonna end up without any battery at about 4 or 5 am.

The sounds are the thing that most help you in this game surely, so focus for the different sounds that come from the different animatronics. Part of this is because Mangle functions similarly to Foxy when she is in the hallway.

And if you find YOU KNOW WHO (the guy in the spoilers above), in your office, next to the hallway, put your mask as quick as possible until you see him go away. and if you find him in the hallway, DONT flash your light at him or you'll regret it, just go back to checking the vents or the cameras.

Also i agree with MonocleBios, there's a thing about repetition in this game which seriously leaves you dissapointed after some time. If the enviorements changed a bit or something it'd have more replayability. But in the end it always becomes the same 9 minute nights where you spend time doing nothing but spamming flashlights and looking at CAM 11.

I did enjoy the game though, it went meh at the middle but it regained strenght in Night 6, where the phone call really made you feel uneasy and the new friend you have roaming around REALLY got me on my nerves enough not to keep playing for a while. In the end i managed to become used to it and finished night 6 and some custom nights. I wish Scott had put more emphasis in atmospheres like Night 6, or other elements of gameplay. I'm sure he could've done something else with the 2D minigames that tended to pop up sometimes. The story had feelings of 'creepypasta' in it, but they weren't exaggerated or overly paranormal. If i hated something is how SUDDEN and plain the endings were, with nothing else explaining the events the game was trying to explain via the minigames, phone calls, and "you in freddy's eyes" segments but you getting a paycheck.

If Scott is gonna do any more games like these i really hope he puts these things in mind.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango