Steam allows Workshop creators to charge for mods

The Steam Workshop has always been a great place for sharing mods, maps, and all kinds of items that you’ve created. Now it's also a great place for selling those creations.

With a new, streamlined process for listing and selling your creations, the Steam Workshop now supports buying mods directly from the Workshop, to be immediately usable in game.
Sauce: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

Anyone else think this a load of crap?
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

Re: Steam allows Workshop creators to charge for mods

Don't see this ending too well for Valve, the idea's prettyyyy dumb and goes entirely against the point of mods to begin with.

While I don't have a problem with people who put a lot of time and effort into their work getting paid, this is the Steam Workshop we're talking about here. Optional donations, sure, but locking sword reskins behind a $0.99 paywall is just atrocious.
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:Don't see this ending too well for Valve, the idea's prettyyyy dumb and goes entirely against the point of mods to begin with.

While I don't have a problem with people who put a lot of time and effort into their work getting paid, this is the Steam Workshop we're talking about here. Optional donations, sure, but locking sword reskins behind a $0.99 paywall is just atrocious.
>implying anybody even needs sword reskins

>implying valve has pushed themselves to a point of no return
STEAM
## LOG OFF.

Wow, seriously guys. I was expecting people to debate the moral standing of making money off of simply modifying the work of someone else. Instead all I see see is "Wah, I don't want to pay for stuff". A bit disappointing really.
Don't see this ending too well for Valve, the idea's prettyyyy dumb and goes entirely against the point of mods to begin with.

Funny, I thought the point was to modify something for whatever purpose the creator of the mod chooses, but no, apparently the point of a mod is just to be free.

Also, any one charges a dollar for a reskin is just being stupid and they shouldn't be surprised when nobody uses it...... wait a minute, now that I think about isn't that what valve has been doing with TF2 for a while now, only more expensive............ does that render my previous point false?

I honestly don't see anything atrocious about this. The developers and publishers get to set the precedent on whether or not priced mods are permitted for their game and there is a refund period. (Granted, I think 72 hours is a more appropriate length of time, but I digress) There are issues with the system no doubt, but I don't think the notion of a paywall for a mod is a bad one.

At the end of the day, it's up to the modder to determine a price point; if the price isn't appropriate, that's on them, not Valve. If someone wants to charge $0.99 USD for a sword skin and the developers/publishers of the original game are okay with that, I see no reason to flat out refuse the request on the notion that it's "against the point of mods to begin with."
D-9999 wrote:If the mod was anything short of a total conversion, then it cannot be monetized in any way, shape or form.
Why not?
Awesomeguy147 wrote:I was expecting people to debate...
Don't get your hopes up.
Last edited by MonocleBios on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M-x dingus-mode