Official Five Nights at Freddy's Discussion Thread

This is the Official Discussion thread for all the Five Nights at Freddy's Games. All of the discussion should take place here, if not partially General Offtopic, or relating to any Five Nights at Freddy's thread made.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:
---------
*****Basic Forum Rules We All Should Follow***** (<----- Click Link)
*Do Not turn this into a War Zone.
*Do Not break out into stupid arguments.
*Do Not argue 24/7.
*Do Not harass people for their opinions.
*Do Not be immature.
*Respect other people's opinions.
*Be sure to read the latest post. No one likes having their post ignored.
*You can put pictures of the latest teaser if I didn't update the main post, but don't spam them 30 times.
**DO NOT use the URL from Scott's Official Page for the image. Save the image, put it to Imgur, then use it. (Ex: NO = http://www.scottgames.com/4.jpg - YES = http://www.i.imgur.com/*String*.jpg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Cawthon's Official Website
Scott Cawthon's Official YouTube Channel
Scott Cawthon's Official Reddit
Scott Cawthon's Official Twitter

Official Five Nights at Freddy's Wikia (If you want a piece of shit)

Thank you to Fazbear Entertainment for the images!
(Thank you Cridone for making the account and managing the images in the account!)

© 2015-2016 Scott Cawthon
Last edited by Nehpys on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:42 am, edited 44 times in total.

Re: Official Five Nights at Freddy's (1,2,3,4) Discussion Th

Awesomeguy147 wrote:It's about time a general FNAF discussion thread got made. There were really too many discussion threads for this game in a forum that isn't even about FNAF.

Heh, yea. I was just trying to keep hell under control. Let me start.

-----
I have mixed opinions about the Five Nights at Freddy's Franchise. Some good, some bad.

Five Nights at Freddy's 1 - Five Nights at Freddy's got my attention through Yamimash. Seeing that British guy Scream made me laugh a ton. After that, I got really interested. It was nothing like Amnesia: The Dark Descent (which is still my favorite game today), but it was still endlessly fun. The game was unique for being made in 3 weeks. That was something the other games never had. Uniqueness. I got quite a few scares out of it, most of them being Bonnie.

Five Nights at Freddy's 2 - This one I was MAJORLY disappointed about. The animatronics were trying WAY to hard to be scary. The only one that got me was when I got freaked out by Golden Freddy's Head. That scared the shit out of me. The game was un-interesting. I was only following the story, knowing it was a prequel, and that when the Phone Guy mentioned the "Yellow Suit" I knew it was Golden Freddy. I figured out this game released through that over-reactor "Markiplier".

Five Nights at Freddy's 3 - Great Fun. A Third Fucking Game. Joy, I mean, the second one disappointed me, why should the third one IMPRESS me? Well, to say the least, I found it interesting. The closest thing to Gore in this game would be the Purple Guy's guts in Springtraps stomach, and the Jump-scare noises are me hissing through my teeth. The game forced me to use tactics I NEVER would have thought to use, in any of my wildest dreams. Hard, Confusing, and Fun. I got the Bad Ending, and I was pissed. What should I have done? After finding out, I got the good ending after 4+ hours. It was Heart-Warming. At least I know the story ended, and that it was happy ever after. The Children's souls were released, and the Purple Guy was Cut, Sliced, Diced, and Punctured because of his stupidity.

Five Nights at Freddy's 4 - No. No, no no! WHY IS THERE A FOURTH ONE!?!?! *Sigh* Anyway, it looks interesting. I mean, I know it won't be ANYTHING about what I assume from the teasers, but I still am psyched to see what's in store me for, other YouTubers, and my Siblings and other friends at school.

-----

Okay, I'm done.

FNaF in general

Gameplay
  • -Unique, albeit rather clunky
    -Once you've figured out a pattern that works, the game becomes much easier
    -On harder difficulties, devolves into repeating a pattern until you clear the level or fuck up
Story
  • -Lacks any real characterization
    -No depth
    -Borderline creepypasta
Atmosphere
  • -Serves only to build up to a jump scare
    -Loses effectiveness after a short period of time or after death
    -Relies too much on uncanny valley
Horror Elements
  • -Lacks attempts at tension and release
    -Appears to rely on the initial lack of understanding of game mechanics
    -Borderline YouTube Let's Play Clickbait
Psychological Horror Elements
  • -Potentially invokes automatonophobia and claustrophobia
    -Otherwise none
Technical
  • -Every game lacks an options menu
Overall
  • -Mediocre overall
    -Worth buying if you're into interesting game mechanics or mediocre creepypasta
FNaF 2 is the same game, and I can't be bothered to buy/play FNaF 3.
M-x dingus-mode

I used to really like Five Nights at Freddy's as an interesting, quirky little game that explored new territory in its genre. The combination of goofy 'haunted house'-style horror and retro pre-rendered graphics that reminded me strongly of Oddworld made the whole thing delightfully charming. That is, until the YouTube community sunk their teeth into it.

Thanks to the overexposure given to it by popular YouTubers, the sudden influx of overzealous fans who don't understand the core appeal of the game and its successors (HINT: It's not because the characters are meant to be sexy) has been utter poison to the series as it has been to many independent games. I still have genuine interest for the direction the series is going in as I know there is care and talent behind each installment, but looking at how people celebrate it makes me cringe inside.

I don't blame Scott for any of this, he is but one man and he can't be faulted for sticking with a winning formula. I just hope the whole thing doesn't end up going too far as the movie tie-in is no doubt an omen of.