Doom 4

[youtube]JpejIwm9Sfw[/youtube]

So as I have seen, Doom 4 looks a bit well how should I put it, it doesn't feel like doom and it just feels like they are trying to sponge off the success of brutal doom (Video referring to the mod below) frankly all while I am happy to see the return of a game that I have not only spent so much time playing throughout well at this point I would say childhood to now, I am cynical not because there is way too much controversy over this game (I don't believe Anita's argument to be valid, it's a game and Mortal Kombat plus many others have done the same so she and many of her followers should get over it, they probably just target it because it's popular) let's just say the gameplay looked great, it was all really smooth but what can we expect from this game that was not shown in the gameplay trailer? How long will the story mode be? Is this like other games going to be entirely multiplayer based? Will they try to push DLC onto us that we don't want? That isn't the Doom I know I am just thinking they are going to use the Doom brand to sponge off of us as much as they can.

[youtube]mn2J4Loe57g[/youtube]
Mandatory blank signature, here.

Re: Doom 4

Honestly, it's 2015. If you don't expect to have DLC pushed on you or a change in gameplay mechanics then you have other problems. I don't like the thought as much as you but I really doubt there is going to be some huge movement to keep out such business practices in the game made by a company. The best case scenario is that modding is possible to change the game to our liking in the future.

Personally I'm excited for the game. From what the gameplay segments have shown us, the gameplay looks smooth and Brutal DOOM-esque. I'm a bit skeptical about the inclusion of double jumping and the animations each time you pick up a gun, but I'm not complaining. I'm just curious as to how it would work in a DOOM game. The gore system looks stunning, the enemies look terrifying and fun to shoot and gib, to say the least. But the final part of the gameplay video(where the boss killed Doomguy without any defense) kind of got me worried that they're going to add QTEs for boss fights and whatnot.

I'm hoping it doesn't come to QTEs, and I hope it's completely up to how skilled the player is at shooting and dodging. Like the classic DOOM games. If you got cornered or in a sticky situation, tough luck. Shoot your way out or die. No QTEs to be found. I hope that we don't have to TAP A QUICKLY TO NOT DIE AS FAST in that particular fight or any of the situations ingame. With luck, the way Doomguy died will signify that the game doesn't have QTEs.(You get pounced, you die. Simple.)

I'm rambling about my hatred for QTEs, though. Onto my next point; DLC. DLC was okay and good when it was for GTA IV, as it had two new entire stories to play, that were deserving of(and consequently got) their own games. If any DLC is added to DOOM 4, I'm hoping it's DLC in the sense of GTA IV's version of DLC(or any game that knows how to properly expand their shelf life) rather than "GET A RESKIN OF THE BFG FOR ONLY 10 DOLLARS!", "GET ONE MORE MAP OF THE CAMPAIGN IF YOU PAY 40 DOLLARS!", "NEW MULTIPLAYER GAMEMODE, ONLY 90 DOLLARS!", etc. DLC should be used to expand the shelf life of a game rather than sap money from a consumer like a Spy saps a sentry from an Engineer. Except with less Wrench trauma related consequences and more hard work to make that money just to blow it off on some crappy DLC.

But DLC isn't our only problem. What about the story mode? Plenty of FPS games today are heavily reliant on their multiplayer aspect to get people playing for hours on end. While multiplayer is all fun and good, when you try to stick it in a game like DOOM and make THAT its selling point? You're doing something wrong. I hope the game's story is its selling point. A long, engaging Campaign about killing Demons, zombies or whatever else lurks in that base and Hell. Make it enjoyable, replayable and an overall great experience. Don't make it just training for multiplayer. Make it an actual fun story that we'll play over and over again to explore new places, find secrets(Good ol' classic DOOM style!), and figure out new ways to go about the map that could be either rewarding or punishing.

Though I'm still excited for this new DOOM game. As long as it stays true to the old DOOM style, I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well. It just needs to lack QTEs, laughable DLC and a large focus on multiplayer, it needs to have an enjoyable story mode with replayability and plenty of secrets and things to discover, and I'm sold. What about you guys? Do you think this could be the return of a great classic? Or a bomb on the classic industry?
My YouTube. I make bad content.
My Steam. Add me if you'd like.

D-9999 wrote:If any DLC is added to DOOM 4, I'm hoping it's DLC in the sense of GTA IV's version of DLC(or any game that knows how to properly expand their shelf life) rather than "GET A RESKIN OF THE BFG FOR ONLY 10 DOLLARS!", "GET ONE MORE MAP OF THE CAMPAIGN IF YOU PAY 40 DOLLARS!", "NEW MULTIPLAYER GAMEMODE, ONLY 90 DOLLARS!", etc. DLC should be used to expand the shelf life of a game rather than sap money from a consumer like a Spy saps a sentry from an Engineer.
My problem with this argument is that 'expanding the shelf life of a game' is a really vague phrase, given that everyone values specific forms of entertainment differently. If there's a market for cosmetic/map pack/game mode DLC I don't see why a company shouldn't be able to produce said DLC because some people think it doesn't 'expand the shelf life,' because clearly it expands the shelf life for people who enjoy and regularly buy said DLC.
M-x dingus-mode

I guess really we will all have to wait until it is released, and since they have been working on it since like forever (I think they scrapped it before because it looked too much like COD) I expect to see less bugs in it.

I Hope this won't be like Doom 3 where its full of lame cardboard jumpscares.

The only thing liked about Doom 3 was its story and Barlowe/Giger-ish monster designs, the gameplay and atmosphere was utter meh.
Spoiler
Sorry if this post is Off Topic

Minmi96 wrote:I Hope this won't be like Doom 3 where its full of lame cardboard jumpscares.

The only thing liked about Doom 3 was its story and Barlowe/Giger-ish monster designs, the gameplay and atmosphere was utter meh.
Spoiler
Sorry if this post is Off Topic
OFF-TOPIC BAN HAMMER!

I understand what you mean about it though, Doom 3 was kind of wishy washy, I had wished for a faster paced Doom, Doom isn't horror nor should it ever be horror, they should have tried to make something other than Doom 3 that was horror, but wasn't terrible with jumpscares everywhere.