SOMA Giveaway contest (WIN A FREE COPY OF SOMA ON STEAM!!)

Hi guys, to celebrate the upcoming release of Frictional Games anticipated SOMA I'm having a small contest for you to win a free pre-order gift of the game from myself through Steam! Thats right, no need to beg for mommy and daddys wallet!

The contest starts as of this post and the winner will be announced on 9/14/2015 and recieve a copy of the game through Steam before the release of SOMA. Details below on the contest and user entry rules. This forum thread is for specifically discussing the contest (but not for submissions - all submissions need to be sent to me via PM).
==============================================================================================================

The contest is over!
(Damn those few weeks go by fast when your waiting in anticipation)!

Congratulations to..:
Spoiler
DOOMalot

for his long epic story of how not to continue playing SCP:CB! (You'll learn that dying is fun!):

I walked through those halls like how blood ebbed slowly from a wound. All around me I heard screams, cries of desperation and madness - I was trapped here and at a complete loss of what to do. I saw the "thing" take three lives right in front of me like it was nothing for it, as if it was meaningless to be human 10 seconds ago and an empty shell 10 seconds later. Trodding slowly down the facility I had no idea what to expect, that if the walls would close in on me next or perhaps there would be some serious predicament waiting to pounce on me every door I entered into a new room. Being a fan of serious horror games I told myself I was not going to do once and I would play this through with anything I knew that would help me, if that thing can only move when you can't see it, then I wouldn't even breathe until I passed it.

Stumbling through the darkness, the occasional cry or odd sound now coming from a much quieter facility being akin to crows sitting on the fence-line, I found a control room with a small keycard. Blink. It was there at the glass now, hands upon it staring dead into my soul suddenly. It came so suddenly I practically screamed and ran out of the room back turned.. *thud thud* *CRACK* I heard the glass shatter behind me as I ran down the hall, I only turned around to look for a split second to find him right there in front of me. I was completely stuck, almost caught in a chokehold, unable to move. I squirmed unblinking and panicking, thinking this would finally be the end of my short run when for just a short moment I saw the icon to open the door behind me, I just barely clicked past that thing to use it and slam that door closed right in front of its face just as I blinked. Feeling as if I had defeated it somehow and basically cheated death, I chuckled a little and turned around to walk down the next corridor when suddenly I heard the sound of a steel doors locks unwinding and sliding open, I turned to face it again in just a split moment *AAAGHHGRAAAGHHHHHhhh* the scream of the stinger noise literally made me jump out of my chair and my headphones flew off and struck my monitor. In a moment of desperation I fumbled with the controls and went backpedaling out the corridor opening and slamming every door behind me, until I hit a dead end.

I looked around this tiny room, there was a poster on the wall: SCP-914

Having no idea what the image exactly represented or what that meant, I realized that thing was getting closer, the doors were slowly being unlocked by it accompanied by loud movement of scraping stone. If I didn't figure out something fast it was going to be in here within seconds. I mashed my security card against the control panel and the blast doors opened, I didn't hesitate to run inside and lock myself in. I'd like to see it get through a 3 foot steel door without a keycard, I thought. I surveyed the room hoping for another exit, a strange note was nearby that was a bit unnerving to read, as if someone else was in here before me and tried to escape.. or maybe disappeared. What was this machine?.. Input, Output, a knob? I thought perhaps it could have some sort of key for me to get out of here, or a weapon. I fumbled with the knob trying various settings as the doors opened and closed, I tried putting my keycard in it and watched it change into a mastercard (was I rich?). Then I heard a godawful noise, not just any ambient noise in the distance of some poor fellow greeting death at his door but a loud noise, a sort of watery grinding.. I was sort of paralyzed in fear, I just stood there couching and waiting, observing the ceiling for any cave ins.. *breathing* "what the fuck?" I thought? Then I looked down. I proceeded to throw my mouse and scream so loudly that I fell out of my chair, my laptop nearly fell of the desk as my left hand barely mashed the ESC key as I went tumbling.

I didn't touch that game again for a month before trying my luck again.. not funny.
Well that was long and interesting! I think that was the best thing I got between the half-assed MS paint drawings and real world friends wanting the game. Your experience reminded me of how I got my little brother to play SCP:CB for 15 minutes before he practically killed over. Congrats your steam gifted copy of SOMA!

Thanks to our closer runners up:
MthurstonX (Steam/Email)
D-9341 (forum)
Chris0matic (forum)
Shillozard999 (Steam/Email)
now you could probably do the simpler thing of "sailing the high seas" to play SOMA.. or something like that..
Last edited by Astray488 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Astray488
>Previously known as Mirocaine.

Re: SOMA Giveaway contest (WIN A FREE COPY OF SOMA ON STEAM!

Though I'm probably not gonna win, I'd like to try this anyways. Besides, this seems like fun.

So I'm taking category A here. The story is in the spoiler below.
Spoiler
Recently, I've been getting a lot of MAVs. MAVs have been the plague of the game besides SCP-008 since around the time the game started getting more content. One such MAV had such perfect timing it was almost beautiful. Whilst among the chaos of an MTF encounter, I happened to stumble across 096's server room event. The MTFs hot on my trail, I passed the time by crouching and standing up repeatedly until the God of Fate known as the door blessed me with it opening. What blended with the background of the door was what I thought was my sink drain in the background. Shrugging it off, I dashed into my would-be fate.

As I hastily flipped the switches in the room and rushed out the door, I couldn't help but notice that I was stuck. Oh great, I thought, 096 is in my way. As I heard the sound of the bleep of the MTF radio before a speech, I decided to just leg it. I held S and found the culprit. No, it wasn't 096. No, it was the old man, staring me right in the face. That drain sound, it wasn't a drain at all. It was him spawning! I am such an idiot, I thought. I was gonna die anyways, at least so I thought. Cutting my losses, I dashed past the nearly emerged old man, managing to arrive at the connecting hallway. I heard gunshots behind me, and knowing what was there, I never bothered stopping. I glanced back quickly, only to find what looked like the most collaborative effort of video game enemies to date. The MTFs were shooting at me, and 106 was sauntering past them at me. The hallway forked, and my instincts told me to go left.

The door gave way to the button being pushed, and in I ran, to find what made my heart drop. It was an endroom. I stopped at the endroom's door, certain it was the end. Breaking the silence was the footsteps of fate, heading my way. I crouched, ready to accept death. The first to enter was the old man, closing in on me slowly. The MTFs entered shortly after, aimed their guns at me as they surrounded me. SCP-106 grabbed me. Just as I was about to fall, the MTFs opened fire. As I died, the screen stayed at the floor for a solid few seconds. I saw the MTFs above me, standing over my corpse as is to proclaim victory. Right there, next to their old friend who stood right atop my fallen body. 106 let out his scripted laugh sound, how suiting. Only then did I receive it. Memory Access Violation! What good timing, right as I accepted my defeat from the tag team of douchebags. The memory access violation was almost as if to jab a flag into a corpse, to put the nail in the coffin. To let the enemy know who reigns superior that day.

And that's exactly what they did. They deserved that victory, and they let everyone know who will live to see another day, and who will have a flagpole impaled through their heart. It was that day, I was the support for the flag. And they were its planters.
My YouTube. I make bad content.
My Steam. Add me if you'd like.

WhiteAce wrote:I am not really in good standing, as far as I know I have 1 warning against my name and I have said a few things I regret to certain forum members, good luck to everyone else though.
WHAT? Are you for real?! I'd let you participate anytime Whiteace.

Maybe I should rewrite that rule to be a bit more clear!

I haven't played SCPCB in a very long time, the last time I played was when the forest was recently added, and I can just barely remember the story. But it's definitely a good moment of the game.

Anyhow, I was about a half hour into the game. Everything went smoothly, yet I was scared as hell. The SCP-173 Ambiance had me crapping myself, and I was sure to make sure everything was shut and secure, and keeping a VERY close eye out on things. This progressed for the first half hour of the game, I did manage to find SCP-173 once, (besides the intro) and got away from him with ease. Some more wandering went underway, and I found myself at that bit of the game. SCP-096 is in the room with all the levers, and you have to activate a generator, or something along those lines. I saw 096 barely, and he didn't activate. Good, so I proceeded to activate the switch, and was under the idea that shyguy was still at the other end of the room.

This is where things got iffy, I began to make my way to the door, and as I did, I looked JUST SLIGHTLY to the side to find 096 literally right next to me. You know what happens next... I decided to get er done, I ran as fast as I can, shutting every door in hopes I would get away from him for some time. This worked for a little bit, about 40 seconds or so. I knew he was hot on pursuit, and where I was heading seemed to be a maze, so many doorways lead to many places, and there were multiple doors that would lead to the same place etc, That type of deal. Anyways, I found myself in the room with 173, where you have to get the door open and run through without loosing eye contact, while making your way through before the doors close.

Well I got through, but then I got boned. You see, the next couple of rooms later was another 173 spawn... Yeah, I think you know where this might be going. I looked around for a bit, and kept going forward. (I think it was a catwalk, I can't entirely remember). I looked around, and when I turned back, I had the worst jumpscare of my life, but no death. 173 happened to appear right infront of me. The only choice I had was to backtrack. Only then, I completely forgot 096 was on hot pursuit. So I faced 173 and made my way back towards the door I came through. I shut the door and faced it walking back a bit more, before I turned around and ran. The tension of the moment got to me, and I completely forgotten about the 096 Scream. I turn around, and out of complete darkness. I hear "SHREEEEEK" Before 096 Lunges at me through the darkness. I swear, from that day on, I never NOT ONCE played SCPCB... Literally, I haven't touched the game since then, the jumpscare was enough to wake up both parents at midnight and getting nagged at for waking them up. Worth it!

On another story, just to contribute out of boredom, is an experience I had with a particular game, FNAF 2. For anyone who's seen my streams, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

It t'was the fourth night. Things were tense, but I was prepared. I have not gotten jumpscared by anything too scary, only toy Bonnie if I remember. Things were fine, and of course Bonnie decided to start to come up, first in the hallway. I was completely blinded by the movement patterns of animatronics, so I was pretty scared when I saw him in the hallway. This caused me to shine my light at him, then use the mask for a bit. I knew this couldn't happen for much longer when I noticed the danger icon for the music box. Faster than light, I quickly went over to it and began crankin. Damn, this took longer than I thought it would. I had it at about 75 percent before I heard something in the vents. I checked and realized Bonnie wanted to make an appearance. (By the way, this is old Bonnie). He was only in the vents, so I wasn't too worried, but alerted. I put cameras down, got Foxy out of the hallway, flashed the vents and opened the cameras again. Soon later,I heard the vent noises again. Instead of checking the cams, my first instinct was to throw down the camera, thinking Bonnie peeked from the vents like toy Bonnie did, and gave me a chance. I was greeted with Old Bonnie directly infront of me. I panicked, screamed and threw on the mask. The screen faded and he was gone. I sat there for a second, asking myself. "Is he gone? He has to be...". I finally flicked down my mask. Only to be greeted with a very loud and scary jumpscare by Bonnie. Everything I'm about to say next is NOT exaggerated, and you can ask fellow viewers of the stream for confirmation (ApplePiah, for example). I Chucked my $40 dollar headset off my head, fell of my chair and stubbed my toe on the bottom of my desk, all at once. The headset broke a couple days later. It was hilariously bad, and everyone in the stream was definitely dying by the time I got the courage to get back on my chair. Lets just say, I stopped the stream early with promises to finish FNAF 2... I never played after that.

WInner announcement!

The contest is over (Damn those few weeks go by fast when your waiting in anticipation)!

Congratulations to..:
Spoiler
DOOMalot

for his long epic story of how not to continue playing SCP:CB! (You'll learn that dying is fun!):

I walked through those halls like how blood ebbed slowly from a wound. All around me I heard screams, cries of desperation and madness - I was trapped here and at a complete loss of what to do. I saw the "thing" take three lives right in front of me like it was nothing for it, as if it was meaningless to be human 10 seconds ago and an empty shell 10 seconds later. Trodding slowly down the facility I had no idea what to expect, that if the walls would close in on me next or perhaps there would be some serious predicament waiting to pounce on me every door I entered into a new room. Being a fan of serious horror games I told myself I was not going to do once and I would play this through with anything I knew that would help me, if that thing can only move when you can't see it, then I wouldn't even breathe until I passed it.

Stumbling through the darkness, the occasional cry or odd sound now coming from a much quieter facility being akin to crows sitting on the fence-line, I found a control room with a small keycard. Blink. It was there at the glass now, hands upon it staring dead into my soul suddenly. It came so suddenly I practically screamed and ran out of the room back turned.. *thud thud* *CRACK* I heard the glass shatter behind me as I ran down the hall, I only turned around to look for a split second to find him right there in front of me. I was completely stuck, almost caught in a chokehold, unable to move. I squirmed unblinking and panicking, thinking this would finally be the end of my short run when for just a short moment I saw the icon to open the door behind me, I just barely clicked past that thing to use it and slam that door closed right in front of its face just as I blinked. Feeling as if I had defeated it somehow and basically cheated death, I chuckled a little and turned around to walk down the next corridor when suddenly I heard the sound of a steel doors locks unwinding and sliding open, I turned to face it again in just a split moment *AAAGHHGRAAAGHHHHHhhh* the scream of the stinger noise literally made me jump out of my chair and my headphones flew off and struck my monitor. In a moment of desperation I fumbled with the controls and went backpedaling out the corridor opening and slamming every door behind me, until I hit a dead end.

I looked around this tiny room, there was a poster on the wall: SCP-914

Having no idea what the image exactly represented or what that meant, I realized that thing was getting closer, the doors were slowly being unlocked by it accompanied by loud movement of scraping stone. If I didn't figure out something fast it was going to be in here within seconds. I mashed my security card against the control panel and the blast doors opened, I didn't hesitate to run inside and lock myself in. I'd like to see it get through a 3 foot steel door without a keycard, I thought. I surveyed the room hoping for another exit, a strange note was nearby that was a bit unnerving to read, as if someone else was in here before me and tried to escape.. or maybe disappeared. What was this machine?.. Input, Output, a knob? I thought perhaps it could have some sort of key for me to get out of here, or a weapon. I fumbled with the knob trying various settings as the doors opened and closed, I tried putting my keycard in it and watched it change into a mastercard (was I rich?). Then I heard a godawful noise, not just any ambient noise in the distance of some poor fellow greeting death at his door but a loud noise, a sort of watery grinding.. I was sort of paralyzed in fear, I just stood there couching and waiting, observing the ceiling for any cave ins.. *breathing* "what the fuck?" I thought? Then I looked down. I proceeded to throw my mouse and scream so loudly that I fell out of my chair, my laptop nearly fell of the desk as my left hand barely mashed the ESC key as I went tumbling.

I didn't touch that game again for a month before trying my luck again.. not funny.
Well that was long and interesting! I think that was the best thing I got between the half-assed MS paint drawings and real world friends wanting the game. Your experience reminded me of how I got my little brother to play SCP:CB for 15 minutes before he practically killed over. Congrats your steam gifted copy of SOMA!

Thanks to our closer runners up:
MthurstonX (Steam/Email)
D-9341 (forum)
Chris0matic (forum)
Shillozard999 (Steam/Email)
now you could probably do the simpler thing of "sailing the high seas" to play SOMA.. or something like that..