Unofficial Mysterious Things Thread

Mysterious, creepy, and weird things always intrigued me but I always feel like I don't get enough of it. So that's why I made this thread: Share any mysterious things in the world that you know of that aren't that well known (e.g., Area 6 would be more preferable over Area 51). I'll share mine now as an example.

Among the Andaman and Sentinel Islands lies an island simply dubbed "North Sentinel Island." It is mostly comprised of trees and bushes and what have you in a forest land, but there is also a very secretive and antisocial indigenous tribe. They're called the Sentinelese, and do not speak any known language but their own custom one. The tribe is extremely hostile and will attack anything and anyone that gets within its 3-mile exclusion range. If within the range, one will be attacked by javelins and arrows. Several have died because of them trespassing, the most recent being two fishermen who washed too close for comfort to the island on an illegal fishing trip.

Here is an image of the Sentinelese guarding their territory.
Spoiler

Re: Unofficial Mysterious Things Thread

Cridone wrote:It's quite insane to think a tribe like that still exists in the world. For all we know, there could be more hidden deep in a jungle somewhere.
There actually are. There used to be one in America but from the looks of it they died out around 2001. There's a bunch of really hostile and anti-civilization tribes out there, mainly in parts around or within Asia.

When I get bored, I usually read up on strange and unique things found throughout the world, and one that stuck with me was the strange Lake Natron, located in Africa within Tanzania. The acidic contents of the water turn animals that die in the lake into strange, calcified stones. This apparently occurs because the lake produces sodium carbonate, a chemical used in body preservation and mummification. It's pretty goddamn surreal, and depending on how you look at it, either neat or just plain freaky. The animals that live there are well adapted, and likely die naturally, leading to the mummified remains as their bodies soak in the water.

Contrary to popular belief, the lake itself doesn't kill the animals. The animals likely just die within the area.

Here are a few images of the animals in question, I'll put them under spoilers in case if the content is too unsettling for some. To my knowledge, these are all real photos, taken by photographer Nick Brandt. You could likely find more photos from a quick Google search.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Here are some links for those who want to read up on Lake Natron: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Natron
http://www.livescience.com/40135-photog ... atron.html
eric

Theimperfectbeing wrote:When I get bored, I usually read up on strange and unique things found throughout the world, and one that stuck with me was the strange Lake Natron, located in Africa within Tanzania. The acidic contents of the water turn animals that die in the lake into strange, calcified stones. This apparently occurs because the lake produces sodium carbonate, a chemical used in body preservation and mummification. It's pretty goddamn surreal, and depending on how you look at it, either neat or just plain freaky. The animals that live there are well adapted, and likely die naturally, leading to the mummified remains as their bodies soak in the water.

Contrary to popular belief, the lake itself doesn't kill the animals. The animals likely just die within the area.

Here are a few images of the animals in question, I'll put them under spoilers in case if the content is too unsettling for some. To my knowledge, these are all real photos, taken by photographer Nick Brandt. You could likely find more photos from a quick Google search.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Here are some links for those who want to read up on Lake Natron: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Natron
http://www.livescience.com/40135-photog ... atron.html
That's some Tim Burton-esque shit right there, especially the 2nd, 4th, and 5th pictures.