[BTE 8.0] The Viper V1.7

First things first, I would like to thank Chiko for helping me fix the scuffed grid load (that I completely fucked up and was all my fault), I would have given up on this sub if it wasn't for him and the other folks at BTEN.

Special thanks to Chynya for pointing me the right way in getting my RegEx working.

Thanks to Athena for providing the submarine's description.

Furthermore, A lot of this submarine is inspired by the Akula 78, so big shout out to Alfred, you're the goat.

I'm back, and with a new sub! The Viper is a submarine based around alternating between stealth and firepower to achieve victory over its opponents.

Designed by one of the Coalition's many doctorate acquiring scientists with the help of a small engineering team, the Viper is built on the basis of combat without contact. Being able to dispatch any target with relative ease due to the arsenal it holds aboard, it's no surprise how it has become well-renowned in it's own right, for better or for worse. It boasts a hefty amount of safety systems to ensure crew survival.

I would say that it is my best looking submarine to date:

Screenshot of the Viper:
A few of the Viper's Features:
  • A semi-fixed grid load akin to the ones seen on Chiko's submarines.
  • A fully functional stealth system complete with toggled lights, engine power cutting and reactor shutdowns.
  • A lack of meat to avoid creatures detecting the submarine.
  • The libtard brig.
  • A battery den that can hold large amounts of power for an extended time in stealth mode.
  • An arsenal of lethal & non-lethal weaponry.
  • 3 drop pods to drop onto hostile submarines from above.
  • 2 static railgun spots that fire 3 railgun shells in rapid succession, capable of obliterating creatures or hulls alike.
  • A reactor measurement system accurate to 500W.
The submarine is useful against creatures (stealth, horizontal speed and sheer firepower) and in PvP (drop pods and stealth).

Much like the Judas, a lot of machines aren't able to be re-wired.

Stealth mode doesn't kick in immediately, so make sure to preemptively use it before engagements.

Basic rundown of stealth:
  1. Make sure you know your surroundings, when stealth is online you cannot see anything without sonar.
  2. Make sure batteries have enough charge and sonar is off (stealth mode drains batteries fast)
  3. Turn stealth mode on, wait for reactor to fully shutdown before proceeding (you can speed up how fast it turns off by filling it with coolant)
  4. Turn stealth mode off when clear of threats, then stick 4 rods into the reactor to reach grid load fast.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/upvsd7srp5m77 ... r.sub?dl=0
Last edited by randymagic241 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.
_GOD exists and he will torch you

Check out my BTE Stealth Warship - The Viper: https://undertowgames.com/forum/viewtop ... 94#p124294

Re: [BTE 8.0] The Viper

My hype is strong for this one. Very cool look and I can tell a lot of thought went into this!

2 questions:
1) Will drop pods be added in a future update? There didn't seem to be any attached at the moment.
2) Can you give us some more detail on stealth mode just for awareness? It seems like it shuts off the reactor and lights but curious if there's anything else going on.

Really excited to try this out. One thought is you may someday want to merge command and the drop pod control room (in the middle) so that piloting captain and officer can coordinate off radio or one person can do both jobs. Also the command team would be a bit safer back in the middle from enemy fire. Just a thought!
I made subs for both base game and BTE:
https://undertowgames.com/forum/viewtop ... =22&t=7201

Re: [BTE 8.0] The Viper

Ol Stinky wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:39 pm
2 questions:
1) Will drop pods be added in a future update? There didn't seem to be any attached at the moment.
2) Can you give us some more detail on stealth mode just for awareness? It seems like it shuts off the reactor and lights but curious if there's anything else going on.
  1. In the screenshot I posted there are no drop pods, but unless I messed up there should definitely be 3 pods in game.
  2. There are 2 things creatures are attracted to: meat and sound. Sound is produced by sonar, reactors and engines moving at fast speeds, that's why when you don't move the sub the passive sonar is weaker. Creatures are attracted to meat (hence why there is none on the sub) and corpses (hence why you should keep them off of the sub). The stealth mode also cuts power to the main engine to reduce max speed of the sub amd therefore decreasing the chances of detection

Lighting being turned off actually doesn't affect creatures' ability to see the submarine, but instead serves two different functions: Killing spotlights so hostile subs don't see you and notifying the crew that the submarine has entered stealth mode.

That idea about linking drop pod control and command sounds interesting! I'll think about it.

EDIT: Mein Gott, I forgot the drop pods!

Check out my BTE Stealth Warship - The Viper: https://undertowgames.com/forum/viewtop ... 94#p124294

Re: [BTE 8.0] The Viper V1.1

[BTE 8.0] The Viper V1.1

Small(ish) update to fix things broken or semi broken with the sub, as well as add new things and improve existing items.

- Reduced power consumption of engines (means batteries will charge a bit quicker when on the move)
- Added a card maker to Command
- Edited railgun shooting angles so they now cannot hit the submarine
- Added drop pods (I fucked up)
- Added ductups.

Re: [BTE 8.0] The Viper V1.2

[BTE 8.0] The Viper V1.2

These are just quality of life changes to make the sub a bit less of an ass to use.

- Added shockwave charge filled shells into the cannon rooms to give the cannons more versatility: less risk of blowing the submarine up when firing them up close.
- Adjusted the engine battery recharge rate to 10% so that the other batteries charge faster when on the move.
- Raised the topside railgun to give it better coverage.