Re: SCP: Doctors Degree

LukeDude759 wrote:
gamer35 wrote:I hate to say this, but game development may be stalled out even longer. It gets hot were I live and my computer isn't the best at cooling, so when building the game my computer tends to get rather hot. So I may wait for it to get colder before I start building again. I still can still build models in Blender, so it isn't all bad.
Don't worry about it. Slower development is better than your computer overheating and losing everything. Of course, that's the worst case scenario and probably won't happen anyway. Just curious, how much have you gotten done so far?
Pretty well, Nothing blew up. UDK is far easier to use and there will be more quality in the map. My computer doesn't have a overheat protection system on it. Which can be problem in the middle of effing summer.

gamer35 wrote:
LukeDude759 wrote:
gamer35 wrote:I hate to say this, but game development may be stalled out even longer. It gets hot were I live and my computer isn't the best at cooling, so when building the game my computer tends to get rather hot. So I may wait for it to get colder before I start building again. I still can still build models in Blender, so it isn't all bad.
Don't worry about it. Slower development is better than your computer overheating and losing everything. Of course, that's the worst case scenario and probably won't happen anyway. Just curious, how much have you gotten done so far?
Pretty well, Nothing blew up. UDK is far easier to use and there will be more quality in the map. My computer doesn't have a overheat protection system on it. Which can be problem in the middle of effing summer.
Well then, I have one piece of advice for you: SAVE CONSTANTLY. As in more than you normally would. Preferably to an external drive, if possible. Seriously, this game has a lot of potential, and I'd hate to see it literally burn up. No pressure XD
spartan322 wrote:it is not every day that an SCP comes out of the closet.
"I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath."
My SCP playthrough
Trex plays Amnesia: AMFP

Pretty well, Nothing blew up. UDK is far easier to use and there will be more quality in the map. My computer doesn't have a overheat protection system on it. Which can be problem in the middle of effing summer.[/quote]

Well then, I have one piece of advice for you: SAVE CONSTANTLY. As in more than you normally would. Preferably to an external drive, if possible. Seriously, this game has a lot of potential, and I'd hate to see it literally burn up. No pressure XD[/quote]
UDK save every now and again. I don't have an extenal hard drive. If I lose this computer the game will be stalled out for a very, VERY long time. My other computer has DirectX 6 and can't boot anything with graphics so I am not risking my computer.

Perhaps there could be DLC packs containing speific SCP's, such as "Sentient, 100-500" or something in that manner. I also have some other suggestions, such as having D-Classes go in and give them commands. And, if they don't comply, use another SCP to terminate them. Or, write your own documents/notes, and have an AI Doctor read them, and let him give HIS opinion. These are just some. I don't want to add more or else I may get annoying.

UnknownGlaze wrote:Perhaps there could be DLC packs containing speific SCP's, such as "Sentient, 100-500" or something in that manner. I also have some other suggestions, such as having D-Classes go in and give them commands. And, if they don't comply, use another SCP to terminate them. Or, write your own documents/notes, and have an AI Doctor read them, and let him give HIS opinion. These are just some. I don't want to add more or else I may get annoying.
Your fine, when you have good ideas, it isn't annoying. I wold love to hear more.

gamer35 wrote:
UnknownGlaze wrote:Perhaps there could be DLC packs containing speific SCP's, such as "Sentient, 100-500" or something in that manner. I also have some other suggestions, such as having D-Classes go in and give them commands. And, if they don't comply, use another SCP to terminate them. Or, write your own documents/notes, and have an AI Doctor read them, and let him give HIS opinion. These are just some. I don't want to add more or else I may get annoying.
Your fine, when you have good ideas, it isn't annoying. I wold love to hear more.
Really? Thanks! I only have two more so far, anyway.

I had an idea where an SCP that's ABOUT to get added to the SCP series could be discovered and researched on the game, such as the recent Sentient Grapefruit. If the game was released beforehand, then we could study the Grapefruit on Doctor's Degree. THEN, we could be notified about it being added to the SCP list. Plus: The document thing, the best one could be put in the article as an Addendum/Note/ETC.

My second idea was the implementation of an online experience. You could study together, talk about what you've learned from other SCP's, and share documents you wrote (if my one idea was put in). And, if someone's misbehaving, O5-Command (Admins/System) could fire (kick/ban) or terminate (Permaban) the misbehavee.

Thanks for reading, by the way. I hope this game is a hit.

UnknownGlaze wrote:
gamer35 wrote:
Really? Thanks! I only have two more so far, anyway.

I had an idea where an SCP that's ABOUT to get added to the SCP series could be discovered and researched on the game, such as the recent Sentient Grapefruit. If the game was released beforehand, then we could study the Grapefruit on Doctor's Degree. THEN, we could be notified about it being added to the SCP list. Plus: The document thing, the best one could be put in the article as an Addendum/Note/ETC.

My second idea was the implementation of an online experience. You could study together, talk about what you've learned from other SCP's, and share documents you wrote (if my one idea was put in). And, if someone's misbehaving, O5-Command (Admins/System) could fire (kick/ban) or terminate (Permaban) the misbehavee.

Thanks for reading, by the way. I hope this game is a hit.
Firing personnel isn't really the way the Foundation does things. I guess you could slightly break canon at necessary times, though. Maybe a kick could be "suspending" a personnel (The misbehaving player, obviously), and a temporary ban could be "firing" a personnel whilst giving him an amnesiac, so he would have to start over on that server.

Another idea is a ladder system, where players start as Level 1 researchers (Good thing 914 is only Level 1 access). As they progress, they would be promoted to Level 2 and so on. If the server admin permits it, they could also be promoted to O5.

I also think there could be a system where AI is gradually "replaced" by players. What I mean by this is that players would start out as Class-Ds. Let's say players earn points for their actions. When they get enough points, they're "promoted" and are given a selection of the next-level staff (Class-D to Level 1 researcher, or Guard, Guard to MTF Technician, etc.). There will be a capacity on how many players can play as one class so that there isn't a sheer lack of scientists or whatever in the facility. When there are enough players on a server, the AI is completely gone besides sentient SCPs (Unless you could PLAY as an SCP and try to breach containment. I think that would be interesting).

And what would we do without a save system? Once a player leaves a server, his progress is automatically saved, and he can continue in any server that has a space open for the last character class he played as. Just so you don't lose all your progress and have to start as a Class-D again.

Not sure about plausibility for that third idea, but 1, 2, and 4 should be relatively easy to handle. Says my brain, which has little to no experience or understanding of making games XD

Edit: Looking at it now, this post was a lot longer than I expected it to be.

Another edit, because I didn't see this part:
UnknownGlaze wrote: I had an idea where an SCP that's ABOUT to get added to the SCP series could be discovered and researched on the game, such as the recent Sentient Grapefruit. If the game was released beforehand, then we could study the Grapefruit on Doctor's Degree. THEN, we could be notified about it being added to the SCP list. Plus: The document thing, the best one could be put in the article as an Addendum/Note/ETC.
I'd like to expand on this idea and suggest some kind of system where new SCPs are "detected" by the game when they're uploaded to the wiki. There could be a billboard titled "Newly discovered SCPs" with automatically created document-style versions of the new articles (Give the game a document template, program it right, possibly a bunch of other stuff I'm missing, and it'll make the documents for you. Probably). Maybe a select few could have DLC missions (for lack of a better term) showing the initial containment, research, and, if applicable, testing of the object. Like my third idea, I might be thinking beyond the limits here, but I think something like this should at least be attempted.
My SCP playthrough

LukeDude759 wrote:
Spoiler
Firing personnel isn't really the way the Foundation does things. I guess you could slightly break canon at necessary times, though. Maybe a kick could be "suspending" a personnel (The misbehaving player, obviously), and a temporary ban could be "firing" a personnel whilst giving him an amnesiac, so he would have to start over on that server.

Another idea is a ladder system, where players start as Level 1 researchers (Good thing 914 is only Level 1 access). As they progress, they would be promoted to Level 2 and so on. If the server admin permits it, they could also be promoted to O5.

I also think there could be a system where AI is gradually "replaced" by players. What I mean by this is that players would start out as Class-Ds. Let's say players earn points for their actions. When they get enough points, they're "promoted" and are given a selection of the next-level staff (Class-D to Level 1 researcher, or Guard, Guard to MTF Technician, etc.). There will be a capacity on how many players can play as one class so that there isn't a sheer lack of scientists or whatever in the facility. When there are enough players on a server, the AI is completely gone besides sentient SCPs (Unless you could PLAY as an SCP and try to breach containment. I think that would be interesting).

And what would we do without a save system? Once a player leaves a server, his progress is automatically saved, and he can continue in any server that has a space open for the last character class he played as. Just so you don't lose all your progress and have to start as a Class-D again.

Not sure about plausibility for that third idea, but 1, 2, and 4 should be relatively easy to handle. Says my brain, which has little to no experience or understanding of making games XD

UnknownGlaze wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I'd like to expand on this idea and suggest some kind of system where new SCPs are "detected" by the game when they're uploaded to the wiki. There could be a billboard titled "Newly discovered SCPs" with automatically created document-style versions of the new articles (Give the game a document template, program it right, possibly a bunch of other stuff I'm missing, and it'll make the documents for you. Probably). Maybe a select few could have DLC missions (for lack of a better term) showing the initial containment, research, and, if applicable, testing of the object. Like my third idea, I might be thinking beyond the limits here, but I think something like this should at least be attempted.
Sir, your brain just blew mine out of the water. lol

But yeah, these ideas are good. Better than mine by a mile. I hope gamer5 sees our conversation. :D

UnknownGlaze wrote: Sir, your brain just blew mine out of the water. lol

But yeah, these ideas are good. Better than mine by a mile. I hope gamer5 sees our conversation. :D
I seem to have way more ideas at night than I do during the day. That was at 2 am. Now it's almost 4 pm, and I have nothing to add XD

Still, implementing ideas like 3 and 5 will probably significantly prolong development and might require more people to work on the game. I'd say ShadowZ could work on multiplayer if he gets done with his multiplayer mod for Containment Breach by the time gamer35 decides to add multiplayer, assuming he thinks multiplayer is a good idea.

I think that's a world record for how many times "multiplayer" was used in one sentence. Maybe.
My SCP playthrough

UnknownGlaze wrote:
LukeDude759 wrote:
Spoiler

UnknownGlaze wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Sir, your brain just blew mine out of the water. lol

I did see your delightful conversation.