Suggestions about the game mechanic

In this thread, we should post our suggestion about the game mechanic.

What it should be updated, what would be fun to have, etc.

Every suggestion to be made for SCPs or new SCPs should be posted here; I want suggestion about thing not related on creation, update or other stuff about SCP in the games.

(I don't know if this topic will be deserve as a post-it. :| )

My suggestions:

-You should change the words of the elevators
"You push the button but nothing happen" to "You push the button and you hear the elevator's coming" or something similar like that.

-It should have an hidden command for people who likes to search for bugs inside the game; the command would make the player in godmode, puts his stamina infinite and give some items in his inventory to help like the navigator and the omni keycard.
I know this idea would be inappropriate in some way because of the infinite stamina, but its the players choice to be legit or not.

Re: Suggestions about the game mechanic

Don't know much about Game design but I'll have a go at making a suggestion. How about a means of artificially extending the time between blinks through player intervention? For example, contentiously pressing the "B" key will slow down the rate at which the bar depletes, but not replenish it and it still depletes faster than you can press the key. However, doing so for long-periods of time has a bad effect on your vision and causes the screen to blur; like how very fine eye drops do, and needs a period of time to recover.

The idea is similar to how most people would react when confronted with 173 and try to keep their eyes open for as long as possible, though will-power can only do so much.

Not sure how you'd code it but just offering a thought for a penny. I am getting a penny right?

Kev wrote:I know this idea would be inappropriate in some way because of the infinite stamina, but its the players choice to be legit or not.
I don't know why you'd need infinite stamina for debugging purposes, but if you REALLY want it I'll write it.
Crowbar wrote:Don't know much about Game design but I'll have a go at making a suggestion. How about a means of artificially extending the time between blinks through player intervention? For example, contentiously pressing the "B" key will slow down the rate at which the bar depletes, but not replenish it and it still depletes faster than you can press the key. However, doing so for long-periods of time has a bad effect on your vision and causes the screen to blur; like how very fine eye drops do, and needs a period of time to recover.
The idea might work if you min-max the consequences of the mechanic, but mashing buttons seems like a really awkward control scheme to add to a first person game. You'd code it similar to how you'd write up a manual double click.
M-x dingus-mode

The idea might work if you min-max the consequences of the mechanic, but mashing buttons seems like a really awkward control scheme to add to a first person game. You'd code it similar to how you'd write up a manual double click.
The awkwardness is mostly intentional, after all it requires concentration in real life to keep your eyelids open and it prevents it from being a potential game breaker. But I do see where you're coming from, mashing buttons is something best avoided. Like I say, I'm no games designer and how it'd be implemented is up to others who have had more training and/or experience than I. I'm just a guy tossing my ideas at the wall and seeing if it sticks or not.

I do have another idea if anybody would like to hear it.

I would like to see some expansion on means of dealing with MTF units however (such as stealth for example). Getting trapped in a room because of MTF outside, and possibly on their way in, can be troublesome if you have no other exits. Perhaps sprinting at an MTF causes them to stumble and can be used as a means of escape if they have you cornered? Maybe the player incurs a stamina penalty from being winded due to slamming themselves against their armour to prevent them from growing totally reliant on the technique, I'm seeing it as a desperation move and wouldn't help if there's many MTF units, or your low on stamina, or injured etc.

I think that we already talked about extending the blink bar, and I think we agreed not to? I don't quite remember. But really, being able to extend the bar by force seems rather...cheap if I'm being honest. I personally think that the blink bar is perfect the way it is, a simple but very wide mechanic, and messing with it would probably be a bad idea.

About the stealth, I agree that it would be cool if you could have a more viable way to escape the MTF. Although I don't think its about being able to attack them (since that is suicide) but more about map design. A good stealth game needs a good level design, take Thief: The Dark Project for a second. That game not only has great AI and mechanics, but the level design is just superb, which makes stealthing around much more viable. What needs to be done (aside from maybe having a more stealth focused MTF AI) is to have a level design that allows you to stealth around the place. This would mean that there should be less empty hallways and more rooms with various ways to exit and enter, as well as places in which you can hide behind.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

Actually charging into a isolated MTF unit could be a good tactic if your options are low. Still pretty damn dangerous considering they're heavily armored and have guns with them, but the idea is nice!

Of course, this wouldn't work as good if there were more than one unit in the place since you'll probably get shot on the way out.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Irontaco wrote:Actually charging into a isolated MTF unit could be a good tactic if your options are low. Still pretty damn dangerous considering they're heavily armored and have guns with them, but the idea is nice!

Of course, this wouldn't work as good if there were more than one unit in the place since you'll probably get shot on the way out.
Spoiler
[youtube]/watch?v=Ll-PSvTKt84[/youtube]
The Nine-Tailed-Fox are even more trained than that.
SCP classified documents
SCP-895 Containment chamber modification
D-9341 memoirs
Old topics of interest