Becoming the Derelict

In Barotrauma occasionally you’ll get a mission called salvaging a derelict but when you get there the sub has been taken over by husk infection and try’s to ram you to death. What i think would be a cool feature would be the Sub transforming into a derelict. Every time i have had a husk break out on the ship I’ve noticed player tend to barricade them selves into one room (usually with the reactor) and spend majority of there time hiding and try to figure out a plan of action. So what if while players where hiding away the Husk were slowly transforming the ship.
Some weird black substance would begin to spread over the sub that would act as a AI the would control some aspects of the ship. For example it would open doors for husks trying to get you (you could weld it shut but who knows how long that will last). It may shut down the reactor and lights. Of course one could fight the infection by burning it off with a welder or injecting spot with Claxinde which would kill it a lot faster and a larger area. In the final stages of infection the sub will begin moving of its own accord and try to drive to other husks and welcome them aboard or even grow tetancles to attack survivors with.
Just your average drug addicted Medic

Re: Becoming the Derelict

I don't think the 'derelict' is a husk. Its' a parasitic growth, where husks seem to be more organic in nature.
I think if the growth was more indepth and given a bigger antagonistic role, this should totally be a thing, sometimes people might not check up on a room and find out somethings on the hull growing.

It’s kind of implied the derelict is kind of a Husk, as before the mission starts it says the sub your searching for had a large amount of husk eggs on board, but the more I think about it the better it sounds to make it a independent organism, but how would you find it naturally as a fungus or moss that only grows on submarines is kind of weird

Good point, I just read the wiki and yeah, it might be some form of husk.
Another concern I personally have is the balance of this disaster, esp' if it shuts off the reactor, as that means its literally game over for the sub at that point. Another way to look at this, is if you compare it to the 'Blob' of SS13, which is what it makes me think of.

This shouldn’t be something that happens instantly. It would be slow going and at first it won’t be able to interact with the reactor until it reaches a certain stage of infection

Stage one: you have some weird looking black sludge on you ship
Stage two: if a door has enough infection on it, it will open the door for husks to get through but it would take as long as crowbar to do so
Stage three: heavily afflicted areas have a chance to infect personnel who aren’t wearing a diving suit when walk through it, and interact with any black sludge will alert husks to your position
Stage 4: the parasite begins to understand the machinery and operates doors like humans with a button and will begin shutting down machines it has access to.
Stage 5: machines will function as organs for the black sludge area it’s will allow it to spread faster oxygen generators will allow it to spread through vents and so on so forth.
Stage 6: the ship will move if it’s own accord and try to allow husks that we’re outside access to the ship. ( you are now a derelict)

Of course you can fight this infection by burning it off with welders and cutters as well as injecting claxinide into areas for a much larger area of affect and rate of death.

It's transporting biohazardous materials yes - you get right. But on closer inspection of the derelict's sprite it's clearly been taken over by a fractal parasite, similar to the ones abundant in alien ruins. Makes sense because they take over machinery - somehow...

Some sort of fractal threat that takes over the submarine would be pretty cool though in theory - perhaps something different to typical fractal parasitic infections because they take a long time to take over a host if I recall correctly.
_GOD exists and he will torch you

Check out my BTE Stealth Warship - The Viper: https://undertowgames.com/forum/viewtop ... 94#p124294

randymagic241 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 am
It's transporting biohazardous materials yes - you get right. But on closer inspection of the derelict's sprite it's clearly been taken over by a fractal parasite, similar to the ones abundant in alien ruins. Makes sense because they take over machinery - somehow...

Some sort of fractal threat that takes over the submarine would be pretty cool though in theory - perhaps something different to typical fractal parasitic infections because they take a long time to take over a host if I recall correctly.

I don’t think there’s any parasite version of the fractural guardians, also I doesn’t make much sense for them to grow as they are machines and not organic that were made by the missing Aliens