Is it possible for someone to make a multiplayer mod?

Now now i know this ruins the fun of getting scared shitless alone and is hard to code but if i
know how to actually code blitz3d i would be trying to work on a multiplayer mod right now ;/
So i wonder if its actually possible to make a multiplayer mod unless somebody out there is working on it right now ;>

I also wonder if there will be a player limit like only 2 players or 2-4 or 5 and like a list of servers
or like in game voice?
Also it would be great if players spawn randomly around the facility just to make the mod a little more harder as they are alone for the time being til they find each other
And as for the in game voice i suggest like you can only hear players within a radius and stuff

Now dont hate me for suggesting this :<
Endermans are always my friend(Despite the fact they are hostile)
Wear a pumpkin

Re: Is it possible for someone to make a multiplayer mod?

Oh come on... It IS possible (as far as i know Blitz) but this would be hard and map could become really buggy without some optimizations for more players. Still there is sooo hard part to rewrite all SCP to make them work for each player (and THAT is ALMOST impossible), like scp 106 chasing few players at once... Game would be 4 times bigger in code (plus animations for player's models).
Nothing here for now, because the site with my previous banner got infected.

Glitch wrote:Not possible due to engine limitations.
Actually Blitz3D has a pretty good and easy-to-use networking system in it, so it's entirely possible. It would definitely be hard, although maybe not as hard as Oskar-PL made it sound. I don't think the map system would need any changes, each client could handle the map independently just like now, and you'd only have to make sure both are using the same seed to get the same map for both players.

I think the only parts that require major changes would be the NPC AIs and maybe the scripted events. The AI changes wouldn't be that hard to make (at least compared to the actual networking code), you'd just have to write some kind of system to check which player the SCP is targeting (like some simple proximity check for example), and use the existing pathfinding, visibility checks, movement code, etc...

There's no way it would make the code four times larger, or even double the size, but it's still quite a large project.

SCP-747269636b79 wrote:I think is quite possible and that reminds me of cry of fear. That game was so good , but the multiplayer was totally different. What if Our protagonist [the one what were playing] had one final. And in the multiplayer mode we would play as the ''guards'' of SCP and we could see the installation with other eyes.
how about play as one of the NPC Class-D? you could use 0.6 classd models. who's interested? i.e. if intro = on then d-9341(P1) spawns in intro and d-9342(P2) spawns looking at 173, and the remaining D dies. i don't care if there's no animations, or even LAN. but this is a need. NOTICE: in the intro, the one remaining D won't blink (the NPC)also, no respawning. imagine this: you have a friend in need of first aid, and you have one.
so you drop it, he picks it up, and uses it. perfect item trading in safe areas. i.e. 914. the only problem is seeing your partners blink meter
so i say add a proximity chat, i.e. 2 rooms away and you can still hear, any more and you can't. it would read like this:

D-9341: alright let's go
D-9342: k
D-9341: oh shet
D-9342: oh god the lights omg hes dead
D-9341:alright he killed everyone lets go

L A T E R . . .

D-9341: omg lol its the sax ducky
<sax ducky plays>
D-9341: omg lol hahaaha
D-9342: omg look out its 173
D-9341: oh shet keep looking at him, blinking
<blink>
<SNAP>
*DEAD* D-9342: oh shet
<PLOOSH CORROSION>
D-9341: OH SHET NO
<runs>
Old man kills d-9341

I Survived SCP-106's Pocket Dimension And All I Got Was This Stupid ID Card

As fun as this sounds, it probably is a bad idea. The whole idea of Containment Breach is being a sole survivor, and finding your way through the facility whilst relying on your own wits and being alone. The simple factor of having to play the game by yourself is enough to scare people - Once you throw in a few friends of yours, the game would lose meaning.

Then of course, that's just my opinion.