I made an SCP!

I came up with a draft for an SCP here, and would like to know what everyone thinks :D I am a member of the actual wiki, but I haven't posted it to the main site yet because I want it to be perfect first, to avoid getting downvotes. Would like constructive criticism.

Re: I made an SCP!

Aethryx wrote:I came up with a draft for an SCP here, and would like to know what everyone thinks :D I am a member of the actual wiki, but I haven't posted it to the main site yet because I want it to be perfect first, to avoid getting downvotes. Would like constructive criticism.
I really, really think that this SCP is actually really cool, although with the article, you seriously need to think of some ideas rather than just black out everything. Aside from that, awesome SCP by itself, and I can actually imagine this in the Irrlicht port because of the reflective floors. Sorry, I know that last comment was a little off-topic.
π™±πš•πš’πšπš£πŸΉπ™³ π™΄πš›πš›πš˜πš›(!): π™Ώπš›πšŽπšœπšœπš’πš—πš πšπš‘πšŽ πš‹πšžπšπšπš˜πš— πš›πšŠπš™πš’πšπš•πš’ πš’πšœπš—'𝚝 πšπš˜πš’πš—πš 𝚝𝚘 πš–πšŠπš”πšŽ πšπš‘πšŽ πšŽπš•πšŽπšŸπšŠπšπš˜πš› πš–πš˜πšŸπšŽ πšπšŠπšœπšπšŽπš›.

Aethryx wrote:I came up with a draft for an SCP here, and would like to know what everyone thinks :D I am a member of the actual wiki, but I haven't posted it to the main site yet because I want it to be perfect first, to avoid getting downvotes. Would like constructive criticism.
Cool. I Personally disagree with Hubbawubba, but that's just personal opinion. I do think it's quite good, when I first looked at the title, it reminded me of a Michael jackson song XD.

Anyways, some things could be improved. I think I saw a grammatical error in the third Paragraph, and one in the interview log. Seems good to me.

Howdy!

So first of all, there's a lot of fun in redactions and black boxes. They seem like a neat trick sometimes to invoke "nothing is scarier". But the truth of the matter is, in a lot of cases, they get in the way of your storytelling. What you want to do is try to avoid not telling your story. A lot of the series 1 SCP objects over use that censorship in a way that has come to define what people think of when they think of the SCP foundation. Beyond that, a lot of the most popular SCP objects are simply object descriptions of terrifying things.

What we strive for in a modern SCP though, is an object that tells a unique story, or tells a story incredibly well. I can count the number of successful series 3 skips that are "just an object" on my hands (there may be more than that, mind you, but that's how many I can think of). Even then some of them have the skeleton of a story.

SCP: Containment Breach utilizes a lot of series 1 and a couple of series 2 skips to amazing effect. That said, the types of SCP objects in Containment Breach are no longer the focus of the site itself. If this is simply meant as an exercise in writing something like a series 1 piece, well done. It's got that vibe. If you're interested in writing for the site though, this wouldn't do very well.

You have mostly nailed the clinical tone. There are a few problems here and there, but you clearly know what you're supposed to do with the tone of the piece. What you have could be legitimately terrifying as well, and I feel the barest hint of a story here (that of the Doctor who pities the D-Class being subjected to this, but still feels the testing must continue for "reasons"). I believe if you develop what's behind the censorship, and try to focus in on why they're testing this so much (at some point they should have all the data they need, unless you explain a reason why that's not true), you can bring that story to the fore.

Finally, and probably most notably, this is not a Euclid class object. If you lock this in a room and leave it there, it harms no one. The object class is mostly a determination of the ability of the object to escape or continue to produce anomalous effects while in containment. Not the danger of the object to the D-class we test it on. It fails the locked box test for Euclid and Keter objects. Ask yourself "If I lock this in a room and never touch it again, what happens?" If the answer is "nothing" then it's Safe.

To yonzo_rikuo: You can find everything you need on this page: http://www.scp-wiki.net/contribute
If you have the time or inclination you can check out stuff I've authored for the SCP Wiki here: http://www.scp-wiki.net/dr-cimmerian-s-personnel-file

Also hello from the SCP Wiki!

Hey, thanks for checking it out. I do agree that there might be a bit too much censorship, mainly because I wanted to keep some things ambiguous (and sometimes I couldn't think of something really good so I left it for the reader to fill in). I was going for a series 1 feel, mainly because I like those ones best. The newer ones seem more focused on being as weird as possible, and I don't really like that x3 I'm glad you looked at it though, I didn't really get anything at all from the users on the main site.

SyphenTV, could you show me the grammatical errors so I can fix them? I don't see anything.

Aethryx wrote:Hey, thanks for checking it out. I do agree that there might be a bit too much censorship, mainly because I wanted to keep some things ambiguous (and sometimes I couldn't think of something really good so I left it for the reader to fill in). I was going for a series 1 feel, mainly because I like those ones best. The newer ones seem more focused on being as weird as possible, and I don't really like that x3 I'm glad you looked at it though, I didn't really get anything at all from the users on the main site.

SyphenTV, could you show me the grammatical errors so I can fix them? I don't see anything.

It was probably just my eyes. I don't see them now.

Aethryx wrote:Hey, thanks for checking it out. I do agree that there might be a bit too much censorship, mainly because I wanted to keep some things ambiguous (and sometimes I couldn't think of something really good so I left it for the reader to fill in). I was going for a series 1 feel, mainly because I like those ones best. The newer ones seem more focused on being as weird as possible, and I don't really like that x3 I'm glad you looked at it though, I didn't really get anything at all from the users on the main site.
As a rule, you don't want to use censorship as a substitution for writing something. I've written twenty something articles for the site and not a one has any censorship. I don't think it's always an easy way out, but it is often a substitution for writing something interesting. I've always said that I'll write a whole article, and if a :REDACTED: or :EXPUNGED: would fit in better than the alternative, I'd use it. So far I haven't needed to stick one in. That said, I know of one or two articles that use them to chilling effect.

Beyond that though, going for a series 1 feel is great. There is a lot of fun in doing that. My advice is mostly applicable if you want it to leap from sandbox to the site (and it seems you'd like that). If you have an interesting story and learn how to adapt it to the SCP format then the description, the containment procedures, and/or the addenda, will all fall into place.
If you have the time or inclination you can check out stuff I've authored for the SCP Wiki here: http://www.scp-wiki.net/dr-cimmerian-s-personnel-file

Also hello from the SCP Wiki!

yonzo_rikuo wrote:how do you get scp wiki account?

At the top of http://www.scp-wiki.net there is the bar with the foundation logo and the words "Secure. Contain. Protect." There is a search bar there. Above the search bar, is "Sign in" or "Sign up" or whatever it is now. Click on "Sign Up" and make you account.
I'm probably going to be yelled at for posting this, and I am sorry for trying to help him.