Re: SCP: Containment Breach C++ Conversion

Tomgrakk wrote:My brother is a programmer, he may be interested to look through the code once it's converted since he uses C-programs often (especially C++).

He might even be able to condense the number of lines since he's good at making code more efficient overall.
If your brother does pull through by offering his skills, that will be a huge boost to the C++ conversion. Two people working on the project mens it gets done twice as fast.

Stormy wrote:
Tomgrakk wrote:My brother is a programmer, he may be interested to look through the code once it's converted since he uses C-programs often (especially C++).

He might even be able to condense the number of lines since he's good at making code more efficient overall.
If your brother does pull through by offering his skills, that will be a huge boost to the C++ conversion. Two people working on the project mens it gets done twice as fast.
YEEEAAAAUUUUGHGHGHGHGHHH!
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Alright, I've asked my brother about the matter, and while he won't be able to provide help on the conversion (at least not at the moment since he hasn't worked with Blitz3D before), he does have advice on how to go about it. He agrees that moving away from Blitz3D is wise, and he's given several suggestions on alternative engines the game can use that will fulfill the people's needs (namely shaders).

He's researched and looked into the game as it is, and feels that an engine like Unity3D would be most suitable. If you'd rather have a C++-based code then Horde3D would work, or Ogre3D if you want an unpleasant but visually impressive coding experience. His main thoughts seem to be that using an existing engine would be the wisest course of action.

Tomgrakk wrote:Alright, I've asked my brother about the matter, and while he won't be able to provide help on the conversion (at least not at the moment since he hasn't worked with Blitz3D before), he does have advice on how to go about it. He agrees that moving away from Blitz3D is wise, and he's given several suggestions on alternative engines the game can use that will fulfill the people's needs (namely shaders).

He's researched and looked into the game as it is, and feels that an engine like Unity3D would be most suitable. If you'd rather have a C++-based code then Horde3D would work, or Ogre3D if you want an unpleasant but visually impressive coding experience. His main thoughts seem to be that using an existing engine would be the wisest course of action.
Unity is not a bad engine, but it has a very unique architecture and would require that development switch to C# (possibly not the worst thing in the long run, but I do approach it grudgingly). My roommate uses Unity3D as a framework for pairing a neural network to virtual robotic body. I can't speak for Horde or Ogre.

If we want a fast development cycle and the ability to deploy on virtually any platform, Unity3D might be the way to go.

EDIT: Also, existing game logic from Blitz wouldn't portable. Games on Unity3D must be written in a hyper object-oriented format, which frankly I don't think too many people here would mind at all. If we went with Unity, count me in as a contributor.

Destructoid wrote:For some reason Unity games seem to all look similar.
Lots of indie developers use the same assets provided by default with the Unity engine to develop their games. That might be why they look similar.

Berkin wrote:
Destructoid wrote:For some reason Unity games seem to all look similar.
Lots of indie developers use the same assets provided by default with the Unity engine to develop their games. That might be why they look similar.
Ah. Dem assets.
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Tomgrakk wrote:Alright, I've asked my brother about the matter, and while he won't be able to provide help on the conversion (at least not at the moment since he hasn't worked with Blitz3D before), he does have advice on how to go about it. He agrees that moving away from Blitz3D is wise, and he's given several suggestions on alternative engines the game can use that will fulfill the people's needs (namely shaders).

Not tryin to sound like an ass or anything, but I would rather that others not try decide for me when and who I am going to work with, I have no issues with working with Regalis and no issues with releasing the source so that it can be read and modded and kept free. However, I do not like this very much, I feel as if it is being decided for/without me that I would just start working with this person and on top of that how I am going to do it. I am aware that it is sometimes wise to use existing things, but there's a reason that people "reinvent the wheel", eg it didn't fit the criteria that the developers wanted or they wanted more control of the innards or whatever, if I used an already existing game engine I would probably end up using CryENGINE 3 [it is a very nice engine and even has scalability]. I do not like the idea of Ogre3D at all, and Unity I do not like nor will I probably ever use it. [can't remember why, but I had my reasons for the opinion and will therefor stick with it till I find a reason to change my opinions, regardless of whether or not I remember my original reasons.]
If it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ 彡 ┻━┻

"This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper."

answer42 wrote: Not tryin to sound like an ass or anything, but I would rather that others not try decide for me when and who I am going to work with, I have no issues with working with Regalis and no issues with releasing the source so that it can be read and modded and kept free. However, I do not like this very much, I feel as if it is being decided for/without me that I would just start working with this person and on top of that how I am going to do it. I am aware that it is sometimes wise to use existing things, but there's a reason that people "reinvent the wheel", eg it didn't fit the criteria that the developers wanted or they wanted more control of the innards or whatever, if I used an already existing game engine I would probably end up using CryENGINE 3 [it is a very nice engine and even has scalability]. I do not like the idea of Ogre3D at all, and Unity I do not like nor will I probably ever use it. [can't remember why, but I had my reasons for the opinion and will therefor stick with it till I find a reason to change my opinions, regardless of whether or not I remember my original reasons.]
You have a legitimate point, nobody but you should be making decisions about your own project. I agree with you that people seem to be trying to figure everything out for you. You need to be properly recognized as the person who is in charge of developing this port.